Author Topic: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc  (Read 129057 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
This dropped off and I've brought it back from the dead.

I've had a great five days of good solid production of original pages spread over two projects. Better yet? I'm charted for another two weeks of already to go new scene work.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The I'm Writing Thread.... Celebrate your pages written etc
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:56 AM »
I've been working overnights recently and despite having tons of time I've only written a few pages. I don't have to do much but I keep procrastinating. Perhaps (trying) writing at work is a bad idea. ;p

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »
But mind-writing at work is delightful. You can write an entire scene without one word keyed.

Today I'm going for 1000 words edited and 2500 written. For me that is huge.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
I've currently got a lot of projects on my plate currently and not much time to do them. But I've managed to get my wip to around 20,000 words that I feel really good about. This would only be my second written novel, (with countless short stories in-between this and the first) the first got trunked for well...it was my first novel ok? Hehe.

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
After 10 years and multiple false starts on several ideas, I finally finished my first REAL rough draft. Not those, "okay, I'll just write it down and figure it out from here" type drafts that go for 60 pages and lead nowhere but an honest to goodness actual draft of coherency. Course, I hate it. And who doesn't, after that first true thrust into madness?

At 27,000 words, it is much much too short. But that's fine with me. It is, after all, a rough draft. A "I'll just write it down and figure it out from there" draft, but with the added benefit of having an actual story nestled inside of it for once. I've revisited it, given it a once over - deciding that I like most of what is written. All I gotta do now is really delve into the exposition - which I completely ignored the first go around. Factor in a few new characters and a subplot I plan to tinker with and that should easily double my word count in the end.

Onward to the copy/pasta/brainstorming rewrite. 5000 words and counting.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:21:01 AM »
I have zip on my second project.  I can't make the initial concept work for some reason.  So I'm back to the old drawing board.  (GAHHHHH!  I have a severe writing addiction and writers block hacking away at my brain at the same time.)(Sorry.  Needed to vent that somewhere.  Is driving me nuts.)

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
I wrote, edited, rewrote and finally deleted 2000 words before going back and finally getting about 1600 words I feel comfortable with. I'm never usually this way when I write. I usually get it on first draft with only minor tweaks and grammar repairs on second draft. Just wasn't flowing right now.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:36:49 AM »
Was crazy busy for the last week or was tired from being busy so have not accomplished much of anything for a while.

I've abandoned one of my big projects, for now, and am focusing on my dark fantasy novel and a few short stories for now. The novel is up to five pages and 1,583 words. Not a whole lot but for my lazy ass it's huge.

Also Meg, you totally stole my idea lol, I had planed on doing a daily page counter thread for myself and anyone else that wanted to use it.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:37:48 AM »
The last two nights I've pulled off 13 pages and about 7k words. Of course that is two twelve hour shifts were there wasn't much actual work to do so I was free to write. So maybe not that much actual progress since I spent so much time procrastinating. Constant struggle, hehe.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »
I'm writing, but it short, sourcebook pieces for a gaming company -- 150 - 250 word pieces that add color to the product. It's challenging to do, and I like doing it.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 06:28:54 AM »
I'm writing, but it short, sourcebook pieces for a gaming company -- 150 - 250 word pieces that add color to the product. It's challenging to do, and I like doing it.

Craig

How did you get that job *droooooooooools*

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
How did you get that job *droooooooooools*

By writing a lot of stories for Battlecorps.com that I was invited to join the cabal, then fact-check products until I felt confident enough to pitch for parts of a sourcebook.

Battlecorps is the place for canon Battletech fiction, and they're always looking for good stories based in the Battletech universe. On the plus side, the universe is so detailed that the writer has to only supply the charcters and plot, On the negative side, any story submitted that passes the first hurdle has to run the gauntlet of people to check that it fits in with everything else.

See http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleCorps for a full explaination of the website.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
I'm up to 42,612 for this month on the sequel to my first book.  Wrote 80% of my 133K rough draft (1st book) last month and all 42K of the sequel (2nd book) for this month starting february 3rd.

I've been bedeviled with two days (1st and 2nd) lost trying to edit an electronic copy of the first book, without power of course as soon as I got on the bus.  A day for a birthday.  And two other days without action because of life events that were unavoidable.

And then yesterday I had like half a day and totally flobbed it.  Only like 1.5k written.  I'd scourge myself but I've been battling some kind of lung infection for the past week and a half.  I may have to break down and go for some medicine.  Its not super bad its just sapping my strength and slowly getting worse.  Anyway any scourging would only be likely to reduce my productivity.

I honestly don't think I'll be able to finish the second draft this month.  Maybe first week of march if I can maintain.  I keep getting distracted with other ideas.  I wrote 16-18k of a little urban fantasy idea that caught my fancy around the 6th and cranked 2.8k (on the 11th? I think), essentially a section which I'm using instead of chapters on that project, for a 3rd work that stalled out and I haven't been able to do anything with since 06-07.  It was kind of liberating to unblock and write down a whole new section.

Maybe if I continue to have trouble with this sequel.  When its done I'll try to get off the current project for March.  Either finish the half a book that's been on the shelf since 07 or the urban fantasy.

Then I can come back in april and shoot for the last in the trilogy.

Assuming of course, something doesn't come up to monopolize my time (fingers crossed), this is a very real concern.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:28:23 PM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »
wow that is a lot of words
my first book is about 24,500 words
my second book is only on chapter 4 and is about 3,500 word so far  :)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:51:56 AM »
put a few more words down but then I hate them and rewrite them. Its getting really frustrating that i am spending a good long while on a part but my story is not getting any longer.