Author Topic: Character Arc  (Read 2429 times)

Offline hallowedthings

• Participant
    • View Profile
Character Arc
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:24:20 AM »
Has Jim given any other advice on how to write a character arc than what's on his LiveJournal? I couldn't really glean much from it.

This is something I have a lot of trouble with. It might be because I grew up on comics, but character arcs generally feel unecessary to me (though not because they're bad or anything) and I don't tend to write them purposely into my stories. Well that's not true; everyone around my MC changes, but my MC stays the same, because I always create MCs with the qualities I like in a series main character: active and competent but fallibe.

It's not like I'm resistant to change, but I only want to do it when I think of something sufficiently dramatic, and never because I feel there needs to be some character arc running alongside the story arc.

Normally I'd just throw the whole character arc advice out of the window, along with a lot of McKee's other blanket statements/formulaic advice (in a take-what-you-need-and-leave-the-rest way), but it's something a lot of people praise Jim for and so I think it's worth looking into. If HE says it's crucial, I'll listen, haha. As I said, I grew up on comic books so the emotional impact of the main character growing tends to be lost on me. The majority of my favourite characters are essentially reader surrogates with enough personality to feel realistic.

I like to hop on to someone relatable who navigates an exciting world and occasionally does Very Cool Things. As you've probably guessed, I'm a plot/action junkie...! They don't need to change for me to be happy, as long as they're well rounded and always actively engaging with the people and problems around them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:29:33 AM by hallowedthings »

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Character Arc
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
Unless you're writing a CSI or Law and Order-type story where all the characters are more or less interchangable and serve only to relate expository dialogue, I think some character growth is expected and inevitable, even if it's just an increase in competence or acquisition of a new skill. A friendship can grow into love, an enemy can become an ally or vice versa, the protagonist can suffer a crisis of conscience or PTSD and decide to give up his/her role as an action hero, or can have some kind of epiphany that helps to solve the current problem. All these things function as a character arc, whether it occurs over the course of one book or several.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Take a look at the SF-series Babylon 5, and compare that to Star Trek. B5 had a clear arc planned for all 5 seasons, all major characters had their own arcs and everything held together. Star Trek on the other hand seems to have absolutely zero continuity, and thus every episode is stand alone things.

I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
To me, if a character doesnt change and grow based what happens to them, I get bored with it.

A character doesnt have to change its core beliefs to grow, but growth is needed to make the character not seem flat.  Of cousre thats my reading taste, I suppose everyone likes different things.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »
To me, if a character doesnt change and grow based what happens to them, I get bored with it.
A character doesnt have to change its core beliefs to grow, but growth is needed to make the character not seem flat.  Of cousre thats my reading taste, I suppose everyone likes different things.

What counts as change, though ?

I mean, if you spend a book getting to know a character in ways where the character is not themselves changing, but how you see them is because you are learning more about them, does that count ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
Ya, I'd probably be good with learning more about them.

Maybe change isnt even the best word, maybe I should say I'm looking for reaction to the events going on. 

I want to see new things from the character, I dont want to see them doing the same thing all the time regardless of what has happened.

Also charcters that watn to change but cant seem to do it are interesting. 

Joe Ambercrombies charcter of Logen Ninefingers is a great example to me.  He is who he is, even if he doesnt always like it, but hes aware of it, and that makes in very fun to read.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline hallowedthings

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
Unless you're writing a CSI or Law and Order-type story where all the characters are more or less interchangable and serve only to relate expository dialogue, I think some character growth is expected and inevitable, even if it's just an increase in competence or acquisition of a new skill. A friendship can grow into love, an enemy can become an ally or vice versa, the protagonist can suffer a crisis of conscience or PTSD and decide to give up his/her role as an action hero, or can have some kind of epiphany that helps to solve the current problem. All these things function as a character arc, whether it occurs over the course of one book or several.

Really? That's awesome!

I DO plan for this to happen. I generally start with relatively normal (compared to the story world's "major players") main characters who are fairly competent at using what they have. They get smarter, stronger and more experienced as my stories progress. Their relationships with people change and they do reel from the major things (like ruined friendships, regrets, deaths, etc). They also learn from mistakes...

What threw me off was how a lot of articles and editors say "change" means some permanent internal change...  that protags need to overcome some flaw or part of themselves before they complete a book's story arc. It didn't ring true to me. So I've been sort of agonizing over this for the past few days. By that definition, most of the things above wouldn't count, because they're usually not fundamental; forging friendships/making enemies/altering opinions of individuals/getting more badass are physical and worldly.

For example, if the heroine's partner dies, the grief may make her angry enough to track down the killer, but when he's been defeated and she comes to terms with her friend's death she's still the same (unless she permanently becomes colder or something else due to the events that happened). So it's not really a fundamental change so much as a temporary emotional response to a major knock. No beliefs/attitudes are altered.

As another example, if a hero is always getting messed around by a love interest, and he finally decides to cut things off, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's changed, just that he's hit his limit.

Ya, I'd probably be good with learning more about them.

Maybe change isnt even the best word, maybe I should say I'm looking for reaction to the events going on.

Yeah, if this counts as change I'll be REALLY happy because my MC always reacts to events... I just don't want to have to change him fundamentally every time something major happens or in each book I write!

As in, I'd rather not have to make him more paranoid or less trusting, etc. if his mentor is killed, or to have him struggle with an emotional issue and then have an epiphany at the climax of every story arc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:08:48 PM by hallowedthings »

Offline roteral

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:25:48 AM »
You're over thinking this. If you wrote the story and know the characters, changing them wouldn't be hard. The events of the story do that for you.
Rest in peace pinky toe. <Scary Voice> You shall be avenged!