Author Topic: Working on my First Adventure...  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Working on my First Adventure...
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:35:40 PM »
I'm working up my first adventure for a mixed group of Feet in the Water Characters, and I could use a little help.

The Premise:  Take One Part Ravenloft, Add One Part The Shining, And Mix Well...  The Archer Foundation lost contact with four of its agents, who were on leave to go skiing in Colorado.  The PCs are sent to investigate, whereupon they will discover a small resort town besieged by "zombies", a Sidhe biker gang, and a newly-renovated haunted hotel owned by a Black Court Vampire.  With a little luck, they will be able to rescue the lost agents and destroy the vampire.

Basically, for those of familiar with D&D's I6 - Ravenloft, I'm taking the basic outline of the original adventure, modernizing it, setting it in the mountains of Colorado, and then replacing Castle Ravenloft with Stephen King's Overlook Hotel.

So, the first thing I need help with is statting up the NPCs...

First are the Villagers...  They live in a small resort village just a few miles away from the Hotel.   The village has been recently beset by a series of wolf and "zombie" (in actuality rough thralls and Renfields under the control of Zarovich) attacks.  one by one the villagers have been falling prey.  Everyone is scared, and no one steps outside after sundown.

• Marcus Lester,  Deputy Sheriff Nominally in charge since the Mayor succumbed, but a bit overwhelmed with the situation.
  • Bill Drayson, Merchant Runs the local shop -- skis, camping gear, hunting stuff, food and supplies, etc. -- he's a bit greedy, has raised his prices since the attacks, and has barricaded himself in his store, instead of at the Inn with everyone else.
  • Perry Whimple, Stock Boy Drayson's errand boy, big, strong, and more than a bit dim.
  • Eric Rowe, Bartender Runs the local bar with a few rooms for rent upstairs.  Has a small brewery and still in the basement.  Almost everyone in town has holed up here.
  • Father Donald Evitts, Priest  In charge of the Chapel at the end of town.  Currently having an understandable crisis of faith, but is safe in the church, so far.
  • Mad Mary, Crazy Lady Went a little bonkers when her daughter went missing.  Everyone stays out of her way.
  • Little Gertie, Mary’s Daughter Currently being fed ice cream and cake in the Overlook, until Zarovich gets a hankering for fresh blood.
  • Irina Kolyana, Foundation Agent She's been Whammied by Zarovich and is only semi-lucid.  The villagers have managed to keep her safe and contained so far, so that he can't finish the job.
  • Other Assorted Townspeople Extras and cannon fodder in the background.

Next are the "gypsies", who are camped out in the woods nearby.  I want these guys to be initially neutral, as far as Vampires vs. Villagers are concerned, but they could also go either way -- they could be amenable to a deal, but they're also dangerous Wyld Fae if the PCs make a wrong step.  I'm hoping to make them a recurring group of NPCs.

• Madam Eva, Wyld Fae She will be to the Erlking what Leanansidhe is to Queen Mab... More of a Fortune-telling Plot Device, than an actual NPC.  She won't fight Zarovich, but she'll provide information about him and the hotel.
  • Eva’s Gang, Goblins/Changlings I'm imagining them to be a cross between a biker gang and a flock of your stereotypical California surfer dudes.

Finally, I've got the bad guys: Strahd the Vampire, and his minions...

• Strahd Von Zarovich  He’s the Big Bad Evil Guy.  He fell in love with Irina, who reminds him of his first love.  He whammied her with the intent of turning her, but didn’t get the chance, before she was dragged to relative safety by the townspeople.  I’m planning on making him a straight up Master BCV.
  • "Zombies" Not actually zombies, but thralls and Renfields made from former villagers.  Zarovich has been throwing waves of them at the village in an attempt to retrieve Irina.
  • Worgs They stalk the woods and mountains at night, and are the eys and ears of Zarovich.  I’m thinking of using werewolves (but only in their wolf form) for stats.
  • Bats Likewise, the eyes and ears of Zarovich, and potentially dangerous in large swarms.
  • The Hotel and its Ghosts  The Hotel itself will be an adversary of sorts, along with the spirits that haunt it…  that’s a topic for a whole different thread, though.
  • Leif Leipsiege, Accountant  One of the captured Foundation Agents.  Pressed into service as a Fine Thrall. Gone ‘round the bend.
  • Helga Olson, Receptionist One of the captured Foundation Agents.  Pressed into service as a Fine Thrall.  A little loopy.
  • Cyrus Belview, Butler One of the captured Foundation Agents.  Pressed into service as a Fine Thrall.  Nutso.
  • Sasha Ivliskova, Strahd’s Wife A previous victim, who had also reminded Zarovich of his long, lost love.  She’s a BCV, but he has imprisoned her in the Hotel’s walk-in deep freeze.  She’s pretty pissed about it, and if the PCs thaw her out, they may be able to enlist her against Zarovich.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:42:15 PM by Pbartender »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Working on my First Adventure...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
When you say the Shining are you talking about the book, movie, or the mini series?

One of the big differences is the Hotel.  Does have echoes or a conscious that's looking for a power up?

Richard

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »
It looks awesome. One question, though. Have you done character creation yet? Do you have time to do so collaboratively? Character creation would be a good time to potentially weave the PCs into the scenario's background. Maybe one or more of the PCs knows some of the lost agents. Maybe they have bonds with the town, or some of its residents. Maybe one of the PCs will actually start as a town resident, recruited into the party by necessity because of expertise/information they have that is vital to the mission's success.

I'm not saying that any of that is necessary, but it might help establish the stakes and lend some depth to the adventure, before you even start your first play session. I've had great experience with such strategies so far.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »
He's right.

Rescuing "generic girl that needs rescuing" in one thing.

Rescuing "My second cousin (from my background) who dated another character in his Rising Conflict and is in another character's first story while being mentioned in a third character's guest star bit" - that's another thing.  Letting the PCs help define the girl who needs rescuing means that they will have an investment in saving her.

Richard
(who ran I6 when it first came out)

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
In my experience Dresden really favors improvisations GMing over a more structured approach.  Having a solid outline of what you want to happen, and an understanding of the capabilities of your players, is important but if you have too clear an idea of what should happen you're setting yourself up for some challenges.  Improv GMing can be intimidating but Dresden really lightens the load by giving the players a level of narrative control, but if you want that to work you have to make sure you don't step on that control. 

Before things start doing character creating is very important, since writing an adventure without knowing the aspects of the PCs is pretty futile.  If this is the kick off to a campaign I would choose 3 or 4 of your characters and pick one aspect off their sheets that you want to have a scene to highlight.  Make sure it's an aspect they came up with (some aspects on the sheet, if you work as a group, will likely be decided by committee whether that's your intention or not) and one that they seemed excited about.  If you ask them for 3 uses for the aspect (something I recommend) you should be able to get an idea as to what they want to see.  Be ready to roll with the punches and look into your players eyes when they say they are invoking an aspect for something other than a +2 or a re-roll, if their eyes light up, do your best not to say no.

If this is a one shot it gets more complicated, try to find a way to highly at least one of each character's aspects and if you can try to hit no more than 2 in a given scene.  Specifically try to call out the aspects of the quieter players in the group, don't force them into more involvement than they are comfortable with, but show an interest in their characters awesome (which of course what their aspects are) will help them to find their best level of engagement.

So far as the specifics of your story, I'm not familiar with I6 but I would recommend as a rule to plan for at least 3 different solutions to every problem, Combat, Avoidance, or Social.  Most likely whatever you come up with still won't happen, but it'll give you a good jumping off point for whatever solution they do come up with, if you know you're players well you can make these guesses more accurate, but they'll always throw your a curve ball.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:37:38 AM »
Is this intended to be a one-shot, or the beginning of a campaign?  Do you expect the campaign to continue in this city, or will it move from city to city?  Either way, the results will be a bit different from the 'standard' DFRPG in that the characters won't be integrated into "The City" as they normally would, but that's ok.  I really like what you've got so far.

I agree with the comments above in trying to at least tie the characters into the scene via relationship with the missing group.  If even one or two of the players have some connection (a friend or more than a friend), then you have some extra story potential to work with.  You might consider looking at one or two of the one-shot adventures that Evil Hat has put out -- in particular the section on questions to ask the players in order to tie them into the one-shot -- and adapt the idea to your adventure.

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
My GM recently did a game that was like this in terms of its small town setting. One thing he did that I found cool was to get a map of a ski tourism town in Colorado and pictures from the actual towns' chamber of commerce online then alter/add what was needed for the story. It took the game play to a much higher level and since it was a mountain mining town, we actually ended up using more aspects of the setting and terrain. (don't ever give a wizard a mountainside of loose boulders)

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
One of the big differences is the Hotel.  Does have echoes or a conscious that's looking for a power up?

To a certain degree, yes...  I'm thinking of something similar to the island of Demonreach before Harry before Harry performs his Sanctum Invocation.  Mainly, though, I also want to use the idea of the Hotel's impossible layout, as -- purposefully or inadvertently -- exhibited in the movie.

It looks awesome. One question, though. Have you done character creation yet? Do you have time to do so collaboratively? Character creation would be a good time to potentially weave the PCs into the scenario's background. Maybe one or more of the PCs knows some of the lost agents. Maybe they have bonds with the town, or some of its residents. Maybe one of the PCs will actually start as a town resident, recruited into the party by necessity because of expertise/information they have that is vital to the mission's success.

I'm not saying that any of that is necessary, but it might help establish the stakes and lend some depth to the adventure, before you even start your first play session. I've had great experience with such strategies so far.

He's right.

Rescuing "generic girl that needs rescuing" in one thing.

Rescuing "My second cousin (from my background) who dated another character in his Rising Conflict and is in another character's first story while being mentioned in a third character's guest star bit" - that's another thing.  Letting the PCs help define the girl who needs rescuing means that they will have an investment in saving her.

Is this intended to be a one-shot, or the beginning of a campaign?  Do you expect the campaign to continue in this city, or will it move from city to city?  Either way, the results will be a bit different from the 'standard' DFRPG in that the characters won't be integrated into "The City" as they normally would, but that's ok.  I really like what you've got so far.

I agree with the comments above in trying to at least tie the characters into the scene via relationship with the missing group.  If even one or two of the players have some connection (a friend or more than a friend), then you have some extra story potential to work with.  You might consider looking at one or two of the one-shot adventures that Evil Hat has put out -- in particular the section on questions to ask the players in order to tie them into the one-shot -- and adapt the idea to your adventure.

To address these all at once:

Yes, we have done character creation (sort of... they're in the middle of via email, have finished the 5 Phases, but are still fine-tuning the wording of some of their Aspects), but no, I'm not yet looking to tie the PCs directly into this scenario.  The campaign is meant to be a globe-trotting campaign, and we're using the alternate "plot maps" method for our "city" creation.

The adventure is meant to be a one-shot adventure that acts as an introductory prelude into the rest fo the campaign. It's meant to give us all a chance to get used to the rules, before we start the game, proper.  At the end of the adventure, and before we start the regular campaign, the players will have a chance to make adjustments to the their characters (even swapping them out for a completely new character)... i don't want them stuck playing a character thay're notinterested in, just because unfamiliarity with the rules allowed them to make a poor choice during PC creation.

All that to say, I'm not worried about linking them to the Agents that need to be saved...  They work for the same organization as the victims, and they've been ordered to go find them and extract them.  At this point, it's simply their job and we'll take it from there.  I'm hoping that fallout from this first adventure turns into Aspects for the characters or for the campaign's Plot Map.

That said, that doesn't mean we can't play on the players' existing aspects (I'll find the list of them), if we can, or rig the NPCs' aspects to help string the PCs along.

In my experience Dresden really favors improvisations GMing over a more structured approach.  Having a solid outline of what you want to happen, and an understanding of the capabilities of your players, is important but if you have too clear an idea of what should happen you're setting yourself up for some challenges.  Improv GMing can be intimidating but Dresden really lightens the load by giving the players a level of narrative control, but if you want that to work you have to make sure you don't step on that control. 

Before things start doing character creating is very important, since writing an adventure without knowing the aspects of the PCs is pretty futile.  If this is the kick off to a campaign I would choose 3 or 4 of your characters and pick one aspect off their sheets that you want to have a scene to highlight.  Make sure it's an aspect they came up with (some aspects on the sheet, if you work as a group, will likely be decided by committee whether that's your intention or not) and one that they seemed excited about.  If you ask them for 3 uses for the aspect (something I recommend) you should be able to get an idea as to what they want to see.  Be ready to roll with the punches and look into your players eyes when they say they are invoking an aspect for something other than a +2 or a re-roll, if their eyes light up, do your best not to say no.

If this is a one shot it gets more complicated, try to find a way to highly at least one of each character's aspects and if you can try to hit no more than 2 in a given scene.  Specifically try to call out the aspects of the quieter players in the group, don't force them into more involvement than they are comfortable with, but show an interest in their characters awesome (which of course what their aspects are) will help them to find their best level of engagement.

So far as the specifics of your story, I'm not familiar with I6 but I would recommend as a rule to plan for at least 3 different solutions to every problem, Combat, Avoidance, or Social.  Most likely whatever you come up with still won't happen, but it'll give you a good jumping off point for whatever solution they do come up with, if you know you're players well you can make these guesses more accurate, but they'll always throw your a curve ball.

Yep, that sort of stuff is all olf hat for me, but thanks for the reminder.  I like having a basic outline of what's going on, maybe a breif timeline of what will happen ifthe Pcs do nothing, and then just go with the flow and react accordingly to whatever hare-brained scheme the players come up with.

In this instance, I'm trying to keep the bad guy's goal fairly simple:  BCV is setting up shop in a haunted ski resort.  He's trying to kidnap an Archer Foundation agent who resembles his first true love.  PCs sent only to retrieve the missing agents, but may introduce other goals of their own.

My GM recently did a game that was like this in terms of its small town setting. One thing he did that I found cool was to get a map of a ski tourism town in Colorado and pictures from the actual towns' chamber of commerce online then alter/add what was needed for the story. It took the game play to a much higher level and since it was a mountain mining town, we actually ended up using more aspects of the setting and terrain. (don't ever give a wizard a mountainside of loose boulders)

That is a fantastic idea.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:50:33 PM by Pbartender »

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
Cool. Like I said, the adventure sounds fun, and you have enough there to get some real mayhem going (the good kind of mayhem, at least as far as you and your players are concerned).

I get that this is sort of a preliminary one-shot type adventure, but I still think it would be a good idea to see if the players are interested in adding something to their backstories involving one or more of the missing agents. It could be as simple as one of the missing agents owes a PC 1,000 bucks from last years fantasy football league, or one of the PCs used to have a crush on one of the agents. Doesn't have to be world-shattering in its profundity.

You might be surprised on how much players can pick up and play off of little details like that, and how much it helps to focus their actions when they have context for what is supposedly at stake in a conflict.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »
I get that this is sort of a preliminary one-shot type adventure, but I still think it would be a good idea to see if the players are interested in adding something to their backstories involving one or more of the missing agents. It could be as simple as one of the missing agents owes a PC 1,000 bucks from last years fantasy football league, or one of the PCs used to have a crush on one of the agents. Doesn't have to be world-shattering in its profundity.

You might be surprised on how much players can pick up and play off of little details like that, and how much it helps to focus their actions when they have context for what is supposedly at stake in a conflict.

I gotcha.  Yeah, we've done that sort of thing all the time in our other games...  Toss in an extra little detail that isn't (and shouldn't, really) be a full aspect, but helps connect the PCs to what going on in the adventure.  something like "Cyrus Belview...  Yeah, he's that guy with British accent who you played with on the company softball team the year you went to the finals." Or "Leif Leipsieg is that quiet little Finnish guy who did everyone's taxes for them last year.   Best.  Returns.  Evar."  Or some such.

Offline benign

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Have you heard of the Stanley Hotel? Very famous in Colorado, supposedly haunted. It's located near the skiing areas in the mountains, and has a lot of good lore, though it is pretty touristy these days. Supposedly it was the inspiration for the hotel in The Shining. http://stanleyhotel.com/about/

Leadville is a little more rustic and out of the way. You go there and you could definitely imagine dark secrets in the town, and it would be a great backdrop for a "zombie" siege. It, too, has a supposedly haunted hotel, the Deleware, with tragic legends associated with it. It's further from the commercial skiing areas, though some cross-country skiers looking to get away from it all might go there.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=leadville,+CO&gs_upl=55l2684l0l3004l13l11l0l0l0l0l300l2178l1.4.5.1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=705&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=KZbvTo-UEsqsiQLXodjKBA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CDgQ_AUoAg

http://www.leadville.com/history/ghostown.htm

Just my thoughts as a recent Colorado resident. Maybe some of that will help.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
I love the amount of detail- with the amount of NPC/location combinations, you should be set to cover most PC decisions- plot-related or tangential.

That being said, my personal belief is the ideal GM has an overlap of great planning (like you've got), and being will to improv it as they go.  For example, being willing to adjust an NPC's background to incorporate a PC, or modify pre-existing stuff you've written (but the party hasn't encountered yet).

(Looking at the example casefiles and their suggestions on how to modify scenarios has done wonders for me.)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
To a certain degree, yes...  I'm thinking of something similar to the island of Demonreach before Harry before Harry performs his Sanctum Invocation.  Mainly, though, I also want to use the idea of the Hotel's impossible layout, as -- purposefully or inadvertently -- exhibited in the movie.

Hmmm... Here's a spoiler on the differences between the book and the movie:
(click to show/hide)

Of course, that's just a suggestion.

Richard

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Fantastic! Your Awesomeness Knows No Bounds.

Add into that idea the non-euclidean floor plan from the movie, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone tried statting up a location as an NPC before?

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Please try to include the Creepy Twin Girls!
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.