Author Topic: Working on my First Adventure...  (Read 5038 times)

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Working on my First Adventure...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
Alright...  here's the first rough draft of our Big Baddie.  I started off with the Master Black Court Vampire, added in Human Guise (I don't want it immediately obvious that he's a vampire, and I may end up adding it to all my BCVs) and Ritual (Necromancy).  I also gave him a handful of extra Aspects for the players to discover, and some extra skills to round him out.

Strahd Von Zarovich

High Concept: Master Black Court Vampire
Trouble: Pining for Tatyana
Other Aspects: Necromancer, Count of Barovia, The Fortunes of Ravenloft

Skills:
Superb (+5): Resources
Great (+4): Discipline, Fists
Good (+3): Athletics, Endurance, Intimidation
Fair (+2): Alertness, Conviction, Stealth
Average (+1): Contacts, Presence, Rapport

Powers:
Human Guise [+0]
Ritual (Necromancy) [-2]
Claws [-1]
Echoes of the Beast [-1] Wolves and bats.
Living Dead [-1]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch [+3] is Bram Stoker style weaknesses.
Blood Drinker [-1] affecting the following powers:
Feeding Dependency [+1]
Beast Change [-1] Wolf or bat.
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination (Master Dominator) [-4]
Gaseous Form [-3]

Magic:
Ritual (Necromancy)

Stress:
Physical ◯◯◯◯(◯◯◯◯), Armor:2
Mental ◯◯◯
Social ◯◯◯
Hunger: ◯◯◯◯

Total Refresh Cost: -21

Given time and opportunity, he can crawl inside your head in a Discipline vs. Discipline contest dealing mental stress and with consequences that indicate some amount of mental control. Most of the time he opts instead to rip opponents apart—Great initiative, Great defense, Great attacks with Weapon:6 claws & strength. He doesn’t heal particularly well from major damage, though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:46:55 PM by Pbartender »

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
She starts the game stuck in the Hotel's deep freeze...

Sasha Ivliskova

High Concept: Black Court Vampire
Trouble: Strahd's Wife
Other Aspects: A Uncanny Resemblance To Tatyana, "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

Skills:
Good (+3): Athletics, Discipline, Fists
Fair (+2): Endurance, Intimidation, Stealth
Average (+1): Alertness, Presence, Rapport

Powers:
Human Guise [+0]
Claws [-1]
Living Dead [-1]
Feeding Dependency [+1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination [-2]
Gaseous Form [-3]

Stress:
Physical ◯◯◯(◯◯◯◯), Armor:2
Mental ◯◯
Social ◯◯

Total Refresh Cost: -14

Given time and opportunity, she can crawl inside your head in a Discipline vs. Discipline contest dealing mental stress and with consequences that indicate some amount of mental control. Most of the time she opts instead to rip opponents apart—Great initiative, Great defense, Good attacks with Weapon:4 claws & strength. She doesn’t heal particularly well from major damage, though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:09:33 PM by Pbartender »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 08:00:21 PM »
She should have Weapon:4 claws, I believe.  +2 for Inhuman Strength and +2 for the actual Claws power.

Strahd's for Feet in the Water PCs, correct?  In my (limited) experience he seems like he'd be pretty tough in a fight, but taken on his own I think a group of PCs can take him down, IF they've been planning for it and have saved some FP.  Unless they are stupid or you severely limit their access to Catch-satisfying resources, you can probably disregard his Toughness powers.  The first PC Strahd hits, though?  I bet you will get some "he did HOW much stress?!" looks from your players.  Those are fun looks.  :)

You'll probably get some advice on how to completely screw over your PCs with this guy, and some counter-advice on how he'd pose no threat at all to a suitably-built PC.  I'm just saying from my experience and given my group of players, he looks like a tough fight.

Use Renfielded animals and humans to split your PCs' attention.  Even one competent henchperson on his side will up Strahd's survivability significantly.  And he's always got Gaseous Form or Bat-Change for escape.

You should have an NPC with the name Belmont, but that's just me trying to work in Castlevania references.  Oooh!  Name the hotel the Belmont.  :)

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
She should have Weapon:4 claws, I believe.  +2 for Inhuman Strength and +2 for the actual Claws power.

Yeah, OS seems to have it one lower for both the Master BCV and the ordinary BCVs...  I caught it on Strahd, but not Sasha.  Thanks.

Strahd's for Feet in the Water PCs, correct?  In my (limited) experience he seems like he'd be pretty tough in a fight, but taken on his own I think a group of PCs can take him down, IF they've been planning for it and have saved some FP.  Unless they are stupid or you severely limit their access to Catch-satisfying resources, you can probably disregard his Toughness powers.  The first PC Strahd hits, though?  I bet you will get some "he did HOW much stress?!" looks from your players.  Those are fun looks.  :)

You'll probably get some advice on how to completely screw over your PCs with this guy, and some counter-advice on how he'd pose no threat at all to a suitably-built PC.  I'm just saying from my experience and given my group of players, he looks like a tough fight.

Yep...  And that's kind of my intention.  I'm providing ample opportunity for the PCs to get some info on him, gain some allies, and adequately prepare for confronting him.  If they prepare, he'll be challenging, but they should be able to drive him off, at least.  If they charge straight in without thinking, he's going to pound them into paste.

Use Renfielded animals and humans to split your PCs' attention.  Even one competent henchperson on his side will up Strahd's survivability significantly.  And he's always got Gaseous Form or Bat-Change for escape.

He's going to have a trio of Newborn BCVs, who are still recovering from being dominated.  He's going to have a modest horde of Renfielded villagers (or maybe zombies...  I haven't decided which yet).  He'll have a pack of big, mean dire wolves, and a huge swarm of bats at his command.

If the PCs are clever, they'll find a way to divide and conquer.

You should have an NPC with the name Belmont, but that's just me trying to work in Castlevania references.  Oooh!  Name the hotel the Belmont.  :)

I wasn't even thinking of Castlevania.   :o

The Hotel has to be the Overlook, for several reasons.   But...

In the original, there's a tavern and inn in the village that goes by the corny name, "Blood of on the Vine".  I could easily rename that one as the Belmont.  Though, I'm not certain anyone in my group would catch that one.  Still, I like it.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
These guys are some of Irina's Archer Foundation office mates that she was vacationing with.  Strahd has spawned them only very recently, and so all three of them are still recovering from being dominated and are still getting used to their new power.  At this point they're virtually identical, except for the aspects the represent their former roles within the Foundation.

Leif Leipsiege

High Concept: Newborn Black Court Vampire
Trouble: Echoes of a Past Life
Other Aspects: Micromanager

Skills:
Good (+2): Athletics, Discipline, Fists
Fair (+1): Endurance, Intimidation, Stealth

Powers:
Human Guise [+0]
Claws [-1]
Living Dead [-1]
Feeding Dependency [+1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination [-2]
Gaseous Form [-3]

Stress:
Physical ◯◯◯(◯◯◯◯)
Mental ◯◯
Social ◯◯

Helga Olson

Other Aspects: Femme Fatale

Skills:

Powers:
Human Guise [+0]
Claws [-1]
Living Dead [-1]
Feeding Dependency [+1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination [-2]
Gaseous Form [-3]

Stress:
Physical ◯◯◯(◯◯◯◯)
Mental ◯◯
Social ◯◯

Cyrus Belview

Other Aspects: Kung Fu Grip

Skills:

Powers:
Human Guise [+0]
Claws [-1]
Living Dead [-1]
Feeding Dependency [+1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination [-2]
Gaseous Form [-3]

Stress:
Physical ◯◯◯(◯◯◯◯)
Mental ◯◯
Social ◯◯

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »
Fantastic! Your Awesomeness Knows No Bounds.

Add into that idea the non-euclidean floor plan from the movie, and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone tried statting up a location as an NPC before?

I don't know if anyone has statted a location - but most of those ideas were just the difference between the book and the movie.  See if you can locate the mini-series - it's much closer to the book (but still leaves out entire sub-plots).

So... The hotel...

It's been a while since I read the book, so I'm basing some of this off of http://www.shmoop.com/shining-stephen-king/summary.html - which is full of spoilers.

Was the land a place of power to start with? Shrug.  The man who built the hotel lost his son (accident) and his wife (flu) during construction, then lost his money and stayed working at the hotel until he was electrocuted - and that sounds maybe like it was a curse on him.

Speaking of curses, let's look at deaths.  There have been 40 - 50 deaths (most of them natural) in the hotel over the decades, with the most recent being the suicide in Room 217 (room 237 in the movie).  There was gangland shotgun triple murder in the presidential suite.  A little girl died in the concrete tunnels in the playground.  There are hints that Something Very Bad happened at Harry Derwent's 1945 masquerade in the main ballroom.  Then there's Delbert "Killed his wife and daughters then suicided" Grady who haunts the place.

So, maybe we could say that the Genus Loci of the place was twisted by the building of a hotel on a pristine spot and now blindly seeks powers? Call it a small one, a wannabe when compared to Demonreach, but something like that.

And the hints that it could have been some sort of nature spirit are there. Wasps that live in the hotel get used as weapons.   Topiary animals come to life and attack.  It might have weather control power.  Other (non-natural related) powers include being able to control the elevator and having the nozzle of the fire hose on the second floor move on its own.

Whatever it is, the Being is now tied to the hotel and can affect its grounds.  It calls itself calls itself 'The Manager' - and it sometimes refers to itself as 'we'.  It can project power up to ten miles away, and when talking to vulnerable mortals the hotel implies that the echoes and ghosts that are part of it are "immortal" (so it can offer immortality).  Its wants and needs seem simple enough - it wants psyche (or magical) energy to feed on and become stronger.

But the spirit can't do everything itself.  For example, it needs a human to work the boiler - without which the hotel's pipes will freeze, causing massive damage to it.

As for powers call it:
- Mental influence and the ability to show shadows of the past.
- Anyone who dies at the hotel can used as a ghost. 
- Any event that leaves a "stain" can be replayed.

As the hotel becomes more powerful (i.e. beings with powers linger in it) the ghosts and shadows can become solid.  Minor telekinetic stuff with fire hoses, doors, etc start happening.  It gains the ability to operate the elevator on its own.

Your best bet might be to stat out the influences (a couple of ghosts, maybe work out some wasps, the power level of the illusions, etc) and have the PCs deal with those.  To reflect its feeding, maybe take a step of success off of power use and turn that into FATE chips it can use to do things.  You might also want to "cash out" anyone who dies there, with the FATE chips going to the hotel.  The more power that gets used inside it, the more it can do.  As it gains power it takes a bit more power from people or starts animating hedge beasts.

Damaging the hotel (structural damage, not just smashing doors or flooding sinks) should either remove FATE chips from it or scare it off.  Destroying the hotel would send it into hibernation - otherwise it will slowly sink back to sleep.

As for dealing with the hotel magically - that would be hard.  Either you'd be doing it at great distance or you'd be doing a ritual inside the Being.  Drawing a magic circle would trap a part of it inside the circle with you and the Being wants to feed on power.

Again, just suggestions.

Richard

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 02:03:57 AM »
So the hotel is growing in power, but has ... limited mobility.  Even the spirits that serve it might well be tied to the location.  Perhaps it's looking for a way to expand its sphere of influence.

Why not treat it as a power source, and let it grant a form of Sponsored Magic to some minions?  Perhaps something favoring fear and shadow.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
So, maybe we could say that the Genus Loci of the place was twisted by the building of a hotel on a pristine spot and now blindly seeks powers? Call it a small one, a wannabe when compared to Demonreach, but something like that.

Whatever it is, the Being is now tied to the hotel and can affect its grounds.  It calls itself calls itself 'The Manager' - and it sometimes refers to itself as 'we'.  It can project power up to ten miles away, and when talking to vulnerable mortals the hotel implies that the echoes and ghosts that are part of it are "immortal" (so it can offer immortality).  Its wants and needs seem simple enough - it wants psyche (or magical) energy to feed on and become stronger.

This is closest to what I was thinking...  A Genus Loci, or something similar, that's been a little bit twisted and is slowly gathering power by feeding off of psychic/magical energy and/or feelings of terror.  I want it to work subtly in the background, building unease and paranoia in its victims. 

Aspects will fulfill most of that...  But I could also give a few skills and powers to actively "attack" residents.  Things like Domination (in the end, Delbert Grady had become a Renfield?), Incite Emotion, Glamours or Greater Glamours, Demense (What if the Hotel is a spot where the mortal world and the NeverNever are hopelessly mingled?), and so on.

Oh, reading the novel, I also realized...  Take a look at the dates:

Quote from: The Shining, Chapter 1
Ullman said: "The Overlook was built in the years 1907 to 1909. The closest town is Sidewinder, forty miles east of here over roads that are closed from sometime in late October or November until sometime in April. A man named Robert Townley Watson built it, the grandfather of our present maintenance man. Vanderbilts have stayed here, and Rockefellers, and Astors, and Du Ponts. Four Presidents have stayed in the Presidential Suite, Wilson, Harding, Roosevelt, and Nixon."

"I wouldn't be too proud of Harding and Nixon," Jack murmured.

Ullman frowned but went on regardless. "It proved too much for Mr. Watson, and he sold the hotel in 1915. It was sold again in 1922, in 1929, in 1936. It stood vacant until the end of World War II, when it was purchased and completely renovated by Horace Derwent, millionaire inventor, pilot, film producer, and entrepreneur."

Every seven years, something happens to make the owners sell the Hotel. Built in 1907, then...  1914, 1921 (Remember the photo of Jack at the 1921 July 4th ball at the end of the movie?), 1928, 1935, it's shut down during WWII but Derwent buys it in the early 40's (1942-43?) reopens it in 1945 and sells it after losing 3 million dollars on it, then a gap in the history, Shockley buys the Hotel in 1970 (Delbert Grady!), 1977 (King writes the novel, and Torrance goes nuts!).  Since then, that gives us 1984, 1991, 1998, 2005, and finally 2012 (Next year!).  Spiritual growth rings?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:24:49 PM by Pbartender »