Author Topic: Opinions on Remy Chandler  (Read 1210 times)

Offline jesster64

• Participant
    • View Profile
Opinions on Remy Chandler
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
I read "Mean Streets" and thought Thomas E. Sniegoski's Remy Chandler story had some interesting ideas. I bought the whole series on amazon. I couldn't make it though 2 books before giving up. He has some interesting ideas on angels, heaven, and hell, but there's too much fluff. The main character talks to his dog too much about nothing. Pure filler that adds nothing to the story line. Plus he keeps remembering his dead wife, which is also fluff on top of fluff. It doesn't move the stories forward at all. Yes, he loved her, gave up heaven for her, we get it. He doesn't have to go on and on and on about her. Worst of all, the hero, a mighty angel warrior, keeps getting his butt kicked in every book, because he holds his inner warrior in check. Any one else read the series?

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Opinions on Remy Chandler
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
If you didn't finish the second book, you're missing quite a bit.  The entire thing with his wife is used to further the story.  As for Remy always holding back the inner angel...yeah...the story would be kinda boring if he just gave in and let it go.  Kinda like Dresden would be boring if he never held himself in check and always gave in to what he wanted to do.  Plus, Tom does seem to be doing like Jim--stuff that might seem like fluff/filler actually starts to play a part in later books.  And there are only 4 books so far, so there's lots of possibilities there.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Remy Chandler
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »
I had the same problem you did jesster but I didn't even make it through the first book. Obviously someone likes them however because they are still being published. More power to them. It would be a boring world if we all had the exact same tastes.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"