Author Topic: There's a church in my DFRPG town built in a giant circle  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
There's a church in my DFRPG town built in a giant circle
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
http://g.co/maps/tgc9u

No other streets in the town are circular like that. And the only thing on that block in the center is a big church.

There's GOTTA be something cool I can do with this. Ideas?
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: There's a church in my DFRPG town built in a giant circle
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Well, there are the obvious options:

1: it's the site at which some horrible demon / outsider / whatever has been imprisoned; the circle & church are all there to keep it in place.

2: its basement houses a wizard / cult / fae lord / dragon / whatever that uses the circle as the basis for major ritual workings; the church up above is just a distraction (and may or may not be aware of the existence of said basement).

3: It's actually an entirely mundane design... until some local faction realized that it could be used for rituals, and is now trying to take over the site.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
Aww, it would have been awesome if there was a labyrinth in the center.

Obviously it's containing something. I know this is my biases speaking, but the church seems a little... I don't know how to express what I'm trying to say without sounding very offensive. Reminds me of a lot of the baptist churches of my youth. A lot of people putting on a fanatic face. People suffering with a smile, not telling anyone for fear of being ostracized./bias

It could be really cool if someone built a church there to contain something, but now it's seeping out and contaminating the community.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »
That's exactly where my first thought was, built to contain something.

I'd kind of like it to be a multi-purpose church, though. Keeps things out while it's keeping things in. And serves as a ritual base.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »
Go the sort-of Demonreach route. It's a powerful fortress, with something dark beneath.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
I'm not sure why my mind immediately went sinister but two things came to mind for this idea for me.

1) To the public its purpose has been forgotten but it was built originally by an overly ambitious priest to summon and bind the Christian God.  An incredible amount of residual power from the attempt still resides in the area causes unusual things to happen.  While it's unlikely that the priest actually accomplished his goal the amount of power the leaks up into the surrounding area can't be coming from nothing.

2) It is a giant battery of sorts collecting emotional energy for some supernatural entity or purpose.  Specifically it collects religious joy and fervor which is precisely the reason that, as you said, the congregants there seem embittered by they faith rather than uplifted.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:35:07 PM »
Hell Dimension Portal.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:12:55 AM »
i have no better or addtional ideas other than this.

Fake Red Herring.

keep the PC's thinking it is something really bad/good/powerful.  Then at some point "prove" it isn't.

Then have it all be a ploy to cover up the bad/good.  (Like as sson as the4 players decide to try to utilize the magical circle.  ;D

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
Just for reference.

http://www.cacoastalhome.com/blog/the-circles-santa-cruz-neighborhood.html

The RL history of the place.

Built in 1890, burnt down in 1935, rebuilt in 1959...

Maybe one can incorporate that in the game background.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Well, there are two reasons to build a magic circle: To keep something out, or to keep something in.

People have jumped onto the keeping something in thing, so that's covered. What about keeping something out? What exactly is it that's horrible and powerful enough that you need a circle like that to keep it out?

Maybe the coins of a number of Fallen are kept hidden here, and that circle is made to keep other Fallen out. The coins may as well be on the moon.

Or perhaps the place is meant to be the ultimate sanctuary. It's like a nuclear bunker, but for the supernatural. Demons, vampires, ghosts, wizards in a bad mood, etc. Everything a circle can keep out stays out. So if shit ever really hits the fan, normal people can flee into the surprisingly well stocked shelter hidden in the basement.

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 02:11:23 PM »
That is seriously cool road building
And here I thought Alera was self-plugging.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »
Maybe the problem isnt the church, but what Surrounds the church. I'd say that all those houses around the church are people worshipping to the church or against the church

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »
What if years worth of road construction and repair has inadvertently disrupted or distorted the energies that those giant magic circles those roads create?

Also note that the running water in the water mains, sewage lines and storm drains beneath those circular streets might tend to keep supernatural creatures from crossing.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
What if the strength of the circle is based on street traffic around the road outside, and construction blocks that road off for a while?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »
My eye is also drawn to Woodrow Ave, the large, straight street leading directly to the circle from the ocean, which nobody has mentioned yet.  This says 'ley line' to me.  It's interesting that it only going one way.

Here's one idea: if I trace the path of that street northward, it appears to land in the San Franscisco Bay.  What if something EVIL was under the bay?  Perhaps something recovering from wounds from an ancient fight with an archangel.  And it *had* been feeding off of the energy of the ley line, but when this was discovered, the church/circle/Woodrow were built to stop the flow of energy and starve the beast out.  But with nowhere to go, that energy is building to dangerous levels, and the church staff don't know what to do ... or perhaps are completely unaware of the growing problem.

Or perhaps the site is siphoning energy from the ley line to contain the creature, which fell below the site, rather than further north (as others have suggested).

I also noted that in the other direction, Woodrow appear to point directly at a small spur of land just south of the bay.  Perhaps it was intended to direct energy to something there, instead?

By the way, you might have use of this page I found: http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/articles/29/, which talks about the history of the site, which dates back to 1890.  Apparently it was named after the then-recently assassinated president James Garfield, who was also a preacher in the Disciples of Christ, who founded the church.  I imagine that something could be made of that, too: perhaps Garfield was assassinated in an attempt to prevent him from accomplishing something major in the struggle between Light and Dark?

I think you have something really interesting to build on here.  Enjoy!