Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 150681 times)

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
Shecky- Got it in one although I think human docs get a rough ride, too sometimes. I can not begin to imagine what it is like to deal with family members in an ER with a critically ill family member. Holy stress batman!!

On the positive side, vets enjoy food and are often rewarded with baked goods by their clients.

And we get to work on really wonderful creatures. I have a little dapple doxie in hospital today that I could spend all day snuggling with. And I have a super cool boxer who has the softest ears ever and he gives kisses but he likes my tech more than me. I got one little kiss and she got a whole face wash:) He is going home later today after some rather injudicious dietary choices that landed him in the OR.

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »
Chiro-

YUP!! Gross but not nearly as bad as a full maggot infestation. Nuf said.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2011, 02:17:36 AM »
Snow-
   Usually they get mad when you tell them something they don't want to hear. A lot of people come to the emergency room with their pets and they seem not to want the opinion of a vet but instead to hear that Dr. Google is right and their pet will be fine with xyz treatment. When you advise them that Dr. Google didn't go to vet school and is sadly incorrect they can get a little bent out of shape. Like I said, most of the time it is the stress talking.

I don't have a video of the kitten - wish I did. She was a stray and one of the other docs and I paid for her care and then we found an awesome home for her. Her new owner sent me a card with some great pics the other day. I keep it in my happy file. Most vets have a happy file. I keep every thank you note I have ever received and when I have a bad day I pull it out and read the cards and remember that I have helped people and their animals.

Actually, if I could have kept that kitten for myself I would have but the husband vetoed me. I did get to carry her around the hospital and snuggle for almost a full week before she was ready to go to her new home.

Daaww.  That's good to hear.  Well, whatever your clients may think - you are a hero in my books K9.
By the by, googled Cuterebra - and all I have to say is -- EWWW, EWWWW, EWWWW, EWWWWWWWW!

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »
Shecky- Got it in one although I think human docs get a rough ride, too sometimes. I can not begin to imagine what it is like to deal with family members in an ER with a critically ill family member. Holy stress batman!!

The difference is that, as a rule, human doctors have this "I don't have to tell you anything" thing going on and will too often stand behind it, with staff members running interference. Vets, on the other hand, I've never seen do less than full, honest disclosure. Which, of course, opens them up to that segment that translates worry and stress into aggressiveness and confrontation a lot more than the behind-the-wall human doctors.

This is, of course, not universal; there are plenty of exceptions to both. But that's the way I've learned to bet.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
A levels in Maths (I'm sure Differentiation of Complex Compound Double Angle forumla broke my brain), Physics, Computing (Database Normalisation really did break my brain) and Accounting are as far as I got academicaly, I also did about three weeks of the third year of an "accounting" degree, but sort of snapped as my lecturers were insisting that "sub prime was contained" and dropped out.  Since weeks later, the worlds banking system blew up, I maintain I was the lecturer and they the student, alas, the University disagreed and refuses to pay me, or give me a degree.

So I'm an accounting technician by professional qualification, and really should get my arse in gear and do CIMA.
And here I thought Alera was self-plugging.

Offline Breedeeteedee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »
Well this thread seemed as good a spot as any to post for my very first time on the boards. I must say I've been ever so slightly intimidated by the brainitude and smartiness of everyone here, which is why I've lurked for so long. That being said, I learned long ago that what type of sheepskin hangs on your wall isn't necessarily a good measurement of the size of one's brainpan.

So. I'm a gen-yoo-wine high school graj-ee-ate! I've gone on to university three times. I've dropped out three times. I've usually got a fairly good reason for it but the truth is I simply can't decide what to go to school for and spending thousands of dollars on something I might not even like when I get to the end just irks me to no end.

~Breedeeteedee

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
So. I'm a gen-yoo-wine high school graj-ee-ate! I've gone on to university three times. I've dropped out three times. I've usually got a fairly good reason for it but the truth is I simply can't decide what to go to school for and spending thousands of dollars on something I might not even like when I get to the end just irks me to no end.

~Breedeeteedee

Absolootly nutt'n wrong wi'dat.  I hope you find what you're after.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
Well this thread seemed as good a spot as any to post for my very first time on the boards. I must say I've been ever so slightly intimidated by the brainitude and smartiness of everyone here, which is why I've lurked for so long. That being said, I learned long ago that what type of sheepskin hangs on your wall isn't necessarily a good measurement of the size of one's brainpan.

~Breedeeteedee

yip , agreed, nothing wrong with that. The smartest thing to do in any case s something you enjoy and hopefully has employment at the end.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
I agree with Icecream and WJM. Nothing wrong with that, I hope you do find what your are interested in. :)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
I thought vet's were always heroes?

Sadly, no.

I'm sure that the vast majority are, but not all.  There's one vet in my neighborhood who seemingly can't put an animal down except in a way that imo constitutes animal cruelty, and this is absolutely judged based on more than one incidence.  I can't imagine that the process is supposed to consist of the pet being stabbed many times with a needle (into the double digits) because the vet can't find/reach the vein, and attempts it in a way that conveys carelessness.  Is the animal really supposed to be crying, and thrashing for over ten minutes? 

If that's really what's expected then I guess they were doing their job, but I didn't see anything heroic about it. 

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »

Welcome! 

And I completely agree.  School measures the ability to do certain things.  People who can perform well at them can be quite unintelligent in many ways.  And people who struggle in school can be extremely intelligent in ways that the educational establishment has zero interest in. 

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
And the contrary can be quite true as well. Schoolin' simply can't be taken as a measure of social judgement - the stereotype of the book-nerd who is dumb at everything else is just as much to be avoided as is the stereotype of the non-formally-educated being just dumb. We can't automatically draw conclusions either way.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »
I'm working on a BA in Classics.
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
Sadly, no.

I'm sure that the vast majority are, but not all.  There's one vet in my neighborhood who seemingly can't put an animal down except in a way that imo constitutes animal cruelty, and this is absolutely judged based on more than one incidence.  I can't imagine that the process is supposed to consist of the pet being stabbed many times with a needle (into the double digits) because the vet can't find/reach the vein, and attempts it in a way that conveys carelessness.  Is the animal really supposed to be crying, and thrashing for over ten minutes? 

If that's really what's expected then I guess they were doing their job, but I didn't see anything heroic about it.

The Process doesn't.  Something is very, very wrong there.  Either the person is untrained in that area or doesn't want to do.  (I don't really want to think of the third option - that they might actually want to inflect pain.)

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
There's a Veterinarians Association right??? Some board that can look at what this person is doing?? Mr. Bruno had to have shots in all four legs before our vet could find a vein to administer the chemical to put him to sleep, but he was practically unconscious when it happened, and she's been our vet for years and we know she's fantastic.

That makes me sick.
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.