Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 150693 times)

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:27 AM »
Wanna know about shellfish?

Offline DoTArchon

• Posty McPostington
  • Lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »
No thanks. I enjoy my shellfish :P

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
It's like the structure of food how to preserve it, sensory (tasting etc) and that , we do biochem, organic chem, analytical chem , chemmat and stats papers. ATM my last papers are human nutrition, food micro , food preservation and product development, actually I'm trying a coconut ice cream recipe right now for that course. Anyway wine science it's studying the wine looking at how it develops, how certain flavours/aromas form and involves making your own wine (even better is it's on Waiheke island on the univeristy's newly acquired winery!), apparently people with this degree are sort after in places like California, I told mum this, she said if I ever went to america she'd slip drugs into my bag as I boarded the plane.
 Yip, Doing food micro right now. Beer's a safe bet I think, or at least it was the safer alternative back in the middle ages. Actually I'm on the topic of beer right now for micro, learning how to make it, the difference between lagers and ales etc.  This is very true, I mean you would'nt want to know about the haemorrhgic diarrhea and possible kidney pailure from E.coli O157:H7 poisoning (and worse the O104:H4 fromthe bean sprouts in Germany) which happens when faeces come in contact with your food. It might ruin your eating experience next time you don't wash your lettuce properly. >:)

We've got a number of brewers, myself included.  Maybe I'll start a stickey about brewing.  Technically, it should live in "Story of Us", but Mac's is the fun place to put it.....

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
IC- that is just down right cool. I do love a good microbology discussion. My husband is a computer guy and is now accustomed to my gross table conversation but I do have to remind myself to stick to neutral topics when out to dinner.

I can still gross my husband out on occasion. I pulled a cuterebra (basically a great big maggot) out of a kitten's neck the other day and that got to him. Kitten did great by the way...

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »
I have to admit k9doc, that's pretty gross. Glad the kitten's alright.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
Enj-

It is kinda nasty but I have to say it a favorite problem of mine because I know I can fix it. We don't see them that often in small animal medicine but you get to be a hero (for a brief moment in time) and that is fun.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
IC- that is just down right cool. I do love a good microbology discussion. My husband is a computer guy and is now accustomed to my gross table conversation but I do have to remind myself to stick to neutral topics when out to dinner.

I can still gross my husband out on occasion. I pulled a cuterebra (basically a great big maggot) out of a kitten's neck the other day and that got to him. Kitten did great by the way...

That is really gross :o

It might ruin your eating experience next time you don't wash your lettuce properly. >:)

You are evil, but I prefer tomatoe salad, not lettuce :P
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
Enj-

It is kinda nasty but I have to say it a favorite problem of mine because I know I can fix it. We don't see them that often in small animal medicine but you get to be a hero (for a brief moment in time) and that is fun.

I thought vet's were always heroes? At least they are in my world.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
Yeah, what Enj said.  :D
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Enj and OE: Thanks very much. I wish I always got to be a hero too, but some people can be antagonistic when their animals are ill. I attribute it to stress - it is scary and overwhelming but sometimes they forget that I didn't give the animal the problem I am just the one trying to fix it.

Of course, I also have some super fabulous incredible clients that are fun to work with but when push comes to shove as long as I can do right by the animal I am happy.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »

Oooooh I want to see a video of that.:D Poor kitty, must've felt alot better after you took it out though.

Ok I better do my prelab for today, cheese making today.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
I thought vet's were always heroes? At least they are in my world.

I'm with Enj.  Vet's have always been heroes in my books.
K9 - why should a client get shirty with you about their pet's illness.  Like you said - you didn't give it to the poor beast.  I wonder if they get pissy because they're mad at the animal and you're just convenient.
Glad to hear that the kitten is okay.

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »
I'm with Enj.  Vet's have always been heroes in my books.
K9 - why should a client get shirty with you about their pet's illness.  Like you said - you didn't give it to the poor beast.  I wonder if they get pissy because they're mad at the animal and you're just convenient.
Glad to hear that the kitten is okay.

I can sort of understand (if not empathize with) why people get snappish about their pets at the vet's office. They're worried sick - lots of people are just as attached to their pets as lots of people are to their children. Pets are FAMILY. And some people, when they get worried for someone they care about - human or animal- they get aggressive.

Doesn't make it any better, doesn't make it any smarter - and it's especially tough on the vets who mostly work tirelessly and without the compensation or general public recognition of their work (which is harder than for human-being doctors - humans can at least tell you where and how it hurts) that human-being doctors get automatically. Human-being doctors also tend not to get lashed out at nearly as much, because of the aforementioned pedestal. So vets get a disproportionate amount of grief.

It sucks. And it's unfair. But that's why.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
Snow-
   Usually they get mad when you tell them something they don't want to hear. A lot of people come to the emergency room with their pets and they seem not to want the opinion of a vet but instead to hear that Dr. Google is right and their pet will be fine with xyz treatment. When you advise them that Dr. Google didn't go to vet school and is sadly incorrect they can get a little bent out of shape. Like I said, most of the time it is the stress talking.

I don't have a video of the kitten - wish I did. She was a stray and one of the other docs and I paid for her care and then we found an awesome home for her. Her new owner sent me a card with some great pics the other day. I keep it in my happy file. Most vets have a happy file. I keep every thank you note I have ever received and when I have a bad day I pull it out and read the cards and remember that I have helped people and their animals.

Actually, if I could have kept that kitten for myself I would have but the husband vetoed me. I did get to carry her around the hospital and snuggle for almost a full week before she was ready to go to her new home.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »

Botfly!  We found a lot of those on the rodents we caught while small mammal trapping.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K