Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 59062 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
I still think that fitz can't be a wolf because we have a wolf character. it would be like a new cop joining with murphy-what's the point? we have a couple of wolves already. IMO, that means that 1. either fitz is a wolf but will not be significant, or 2. that he isn't a wolf and would be significant.
since fitz got a lot of screen time in GS, i say it has to be the second
His possible "wolf" half interests me far less than his possible Loup Garou half.  Unless the two combine or interact in some fashion.  Id love to see it where the Wolf half allowed him to gain a measure of control over during the loup Garou transformation that McFinn didnt have.  A controlled/intelligent Loup Garoup would be an immortal monster of incredible badassness  ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
I still think that fitz can't be a wolf because we have a wolf character. it would be like a new cop joining with murphy-what's the point?

What's the point to Stallings and Rawlings (and bears, oh my) ?

we have a couple of wolves already. IMO, that means that 1. either fitz is a wolf but will not be significant, or 2. that he isn't a wolf and would be significant.

If Jim says he's not plot significant, I'm willing to believe he's not plot significant.  And I would cheer Jim for spending time on a character whose significance was in other ways than just plot.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
His possible "wolf" half interests me far less than his possible Loup Garou half.  Unless the two combine or interact in some fashion.  Id love to see it where the Wolf half allowed him to gain a measure of control over during the loup Garou transformation that McFinn didnt have.  A controlled/intelligent Loup Garoup would be an immortal monster of incredible badassness  ;D

That was my theory!
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Remember people, that the "Fitz is cursed" is not a WOJ.  It was a hint that Serack used at beginning of this thread to get people to guess MacFinn.  I have seen multiple times where people state there is a WOJ about this when in fact there isn't.

Ooooooh! I thought it was WoJ and Serack had just transcribing a hint JB had said. Sorry, my mistake.
Now I have a lot of doubts about the theory. :'( :'(
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Ug.  Now I have to rework my theory.  Oh wait, no I don't, even without the WoJ the stuff still fits.  Who else has red hair in DF?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
Hendricks!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
I still think that fitz can't be a wolf because we have a wolf character. it would be like a new cop joining with murphy-what's the point? we have a couple of wolves already. IMO, that means that 1. either fitz is a wolf but will not be significant, or 2. that he isn't a wolf and would be significant.

I can see Fitz at some point becoming a Holy Knight, but sorry but I agree to me it just doesn't fit as a wolf.  I cannot see a child of Tara West, raised with her values in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, falling into the gutter to be pushed around as he was by a second rate sorcerer.  So as much as his description fits some things most of the stuff just doesn't fit.

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Hendricks!

Sorry, just had a squick moment.

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
  I can see Fitz at some point becoming a Holy Knight, but sorry but I agree to me it just doesn't fit as a wolf.  I cannot see a child of Tara West, raised with her values in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, falling into the gutter to be pushed around as he was by a second rate sorcerer.  So as much as his description fits some things most of the stuff just doesn't fit.
I think it fits perfectly as a wolf, honestly.
Fitz, born of Tera, as a wolf pup....weaned and then left to his own devices...he changes to human, and forgets/doesn't know he can change into a wolf, and gets found by humans.

I think the issue here that people are forgetting is that Tera is a wolf...she wouldn't necessarily raise a child with 'values'...that's a human thing, not a wolf thing. Remember, she was into MacFinn mostly because he turned into the biggest, baddest wolf around..not cause he was a nice guy who was kind to children and old people!

Fitz does exhibit some 'wolfy' characteristics, to me. Then again, they are very similar to a lot of Harry's traits, so they might be 'orphan' traits, rather than wolf ones.

Fitz, as a child of Tera and MacFinn, sounds plausible....but, I think we should probably also consider that he's a minor ectomantic talent, who's parents are dead.

Offline Dina

• View Profile

Sorry, just had a squick moment.

Why? *is confused*
Missing you, Md 

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The problem is the timing. If Fitz was the son of either Tera of MacFinn, where was he during Fool Moon? Tera would have had to have been pregnant long before that point. Did she and (millionaire, I believe) MacFinn just dump the kid somewhere? With no resources or support structure, when MacFinn sure as hell could have afforded it? That doesn't make sense.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
That is assuming that he has aged the way a human would for his entire life. If the hypothesis is correct then that might not be the case. If one of his parents was a wolf and one was a human then why assume he ages at the same rate as a normal human?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
That is assuming that he has aged the way a human would for his entire life. If the hypothesis is correct then that might not be the case. If one of his parents was a wolf and one was a human then why assume he ages at the same rate as a normal human?

That is a good point, but a stretch in my opinion, yes the age is all wrong. What tells me more than anything he isn't Tera West's pup, is his behavior.  Wolves are social creatures, they run in packs and are very good parents.  Tera West was impressive in her values,  a big thing she did was to teach the Alphas a good value system and what it means to be a wolf.  Fitz didn't show any of that, yeah, he is a sensitive, and Harry saw that he wasn't all bad, but if Harry hadn't come along, Fitz would have continued down the same road he was on most likely.  To me that just doesn't fit with the values of Tera West.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
I don't buy the theory that he is a wolf but just for the fun of it to make the pieces fit....What if Fitz was born as a wolf pup and raised by Tera? From what I could find by Googling it, wolves are fully grown at two years old. If Fitz was around a year or a year and a half old, was somehow separated from his mother and took human form and somehow lost his memory of his early years or was convinced by helpful humans that he was crazy, he might end up as an older orphan with little or no memory of his wolf origins or his wolf past. Maybe he transformed on his own, was found wandering with no understanding of human speech and was turned over to the appropriate juvenile authorities.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
So...Jim didn't actually say Fitz is cursed, Serack did...?

It's because he has red hair isn't it? Ron Weasley had red hair! Ginger power!

(Even though I have brown hair  :P)
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.