Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 59123 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
It says: "He was youthfully scrawned, his skin bronze enough to look Native American, though his tangled red hair and pug nose argued otherwise. His eyes were an odd shade of brown, so light as to be nearly golden"

I think one of the reasons that WJM mentioned is quite unconclusive, but all of them together made a solid case (I am not saying is 100% sure, only that it is VERY probable)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
It says: "He was youthfully scrawned, his skin bronze enough to look Native American, though his tangled red hair and pug nose argued otherwise. His eyes were an odd shade of brown, so light as to be nearly golden"

I think one of the reasons that WJM mentioned is quite unconclusive, but all of them together made a solid case (I am not saying is 100% sure, only that it is VERY probable)
Maybe Dina, but why go to all that trouble and then say he most likely not be in any of the future books? Also one more thought, you'd think that Terra West would have done a better job of raising her pup.  If he was raised in the Pacific Northwest, raised with the care and wisdom his mother had, what was he doing a stray dog orphan subjugated to a second rate sorcerer bully?  One more thing, if he was turning into a Loup every full moon, how come a lot of torn up bodies didn't turn up in Chicago? Heck all those kids, the second rate sorcerer himself?  Harry didn't mention seeing any fancy magic circle, the kind that would be needed to contain a Loop.  That's where I have a problem, it is easy to jump to conclusions based on his description and the fact that Jim said he was cursed, but when you think about it, it doesn't add up, at least to me it doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:55:50 AM by Mira »

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Fitz may well be too young to have had his first transformation.  It would be entirely in-genre for such curses to remain inactive "until his 18th birthday"...or 16th, or 21st, or whatever is particularly significant.  As far as Tera West's possibly unconventional parenting style, it's worth remembering that she isn't human, and lost her mate, who was human, several years ago.

One thing to remember is, according to the curse, it's almost certain that West and MacFinn had a child.  Since we know that they never married before MacFinn's death, that child would be a bastard.  Fitz means bastard.  He has physical characteristics that resemble Tera West and MacFinn, acts in a semi-wolfish sort of way socially, and we apparently have a WoJ that Fitz is cursed.  These are rather a lot of factors to dismiss in order to claim it's a coincidence.

I realize JB's also said that he had no plans to use Fitz as a character again, but you never know.  That doesn't contradict any of the above; it could mean that JB doesn't plan to bring the Loup-Garou curse back into the plotline.  This makes sense--the Loup-Garou curse was covered in FM, and if it originated from Saint Patrick (who was a bloody idiot, if so), then it doesn't seem to be an integral part of the long-term plotline.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Besides, Jim's world doesn't solely revolve around Harry. Well, it does, but other people have their own stories too.

Carlos' family has a restaurant and the White Court don't have many operations in LA. Morgan had his love for Luccio. Ebenezar has a truck load of stories mentioned in passing attributed to him. Hell, half of the Alphas left to go do their own thing rather than stay in Chicago to play protector to the city.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Fitz may well be too young to have had his first transformation.  It would be entirely in-genre for such curses to remain inactive "until his 18th birthday"...or 16th, or 21st, or whatever is particularly significant.  As far as Tera West's possibly unconventional parenting style, it's worth remembering that she isn't human, and lost her mate, who was human, several years ago.

One thing to remember is, according to the curse, it's almost certain that West and MacFinn had a child.  Since we know that they never married before MacFinn's death, that child would be a bastard.  Fitz means bastard.  He has physical characteristics that resemble Tera West and MacFinn, acts in a semi-wolfish sort of way socially, and we apparently have a WoJ that Fitz is cursed.  These are rather a lot of factors to dismiss in order to claim it's a coincidence.

I realize JB's also said that he had no plans to use Fitz as a character again, but you never know.  That doesn't contradict any of the above; it could mean that JB doesn't plan to bring the Loup-Garou curse back into the plotline.  This makes sense--the Loup-Garou curse was covered in FM, and if it originated from Saint Patrick (who was a bloody idiot, if so), then it doesn't seem to be an integral part of the long-term plotline.

Okay, but wouldTera conceive as a human or a wolf?  Have one child or a litter of pups?  Yes, Fitz means bastard, but people have names like Fitzgerald and they are not bastards, an ancestor was.  Surely Fitz knows what is coming if he is indeed her son, yet how long is he going to stick around those kids?  I mean can you see Zero leaving him?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Besides, Jim's world doesn't solely revolve around Harry. Well, it does, but other people have their own stories too.

Carlos' family has a restaurant and the White Court don't have many operations in LA. Morgan had his love for Luccio. Ebenezar has a truck load of stories mentioned in passing attributed to him. Hell, half of the Alphas left to go do their own thing rather than stay in Chicago to play protector to the city.
Jim has said he has "a whole stable" of support characters, many of which may never get into the books.  Hell, Klaus the Toymaker was only mentioned in passing back in SK, but he apparently has a whole backstory from WWII. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Okay, but wouldTera conceive as a human or a wolf?  Have one child or a litter of pups?  Yes, Fitz means bastard, but people have names like Fitzgerald and they are not bastards, an ancestor was.  Surely Fitz knows what is coming if he is indeed her son, yet how long is he going to stick around those kids?  I mean can you see Zero leaving him?

Some interesting conjecture. Indeed, Fitz's name may have significance or it may just be someone naming him that because it sounded nice to them. Hopefully we will learn something in the next book. I have no idea what form a baby from a human and non human comes out. I think it may vary, some human looking and some the non human parent looking and some somewhere in between. I think Fix may be a scion of a human and non human. He seemed to be more mind magic resistant than normal besides the being able to hear Harry and the unusual eyes. Hopefully Zero wasn't named that because he is worthless. ;)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Some interesting conjecture. Indeed, Fitz's name may have significance or it may just be someone naming him that because it sounded nice to them. Hopefully we will learn something in the next book. I have no idea what form a baby from a human and non human comes out. I think it may vary, some human looking and some the non human parent looking and some somewhere in between. I think Fix may be a scion of a human and non human. He seemed to be more mind magic resistant than normal besides the being able to hear Harry and the unusual eyes. Hopefully Zero wasn't named that because he is worthless. ;)
Yeah, we have no evidence that either Tara West or MacFadden could hear or see ghosts, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't.  I got the impression that Tara West was much more inclined to the wolf side than her "human side," so if Fitz is a son, he may have several bothers and sisters also under the curse.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
I think the curse is only for one person and if McFinn died wirhout a child, his closer relative will inherit it.
Mira, we discussed the idea of why Tera would abandon his child or something like that in the fist pages of this thread. I agree that Tera would have done a good job, but we don't know the circumstances. Perhaps McFinn didn't want a child (because of the curse) so she never told him she was pregnant and she left the baby with her lupine family. Then, remember she said she has lost many of her family. Perhaps she thought her puppy had died, but he was playing Mowgli in the forest. Who knows?

I always found very rare the WoJ about not planning to use Fitz. He has been too well described and he was left so open (we still don't know why he heard ghosts) that when I was reading GS, I was sure Fitz will be in the next books. I still hope he come back.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bones

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I always found very rare the WoJ about not planning to use Fitz. He has been too well described and he was left so open (we still don't know why he heard ghosts) that when I was reading GS, I was sure Fitz will be in the next books. I still hope he come back.

I agree. Many of us singled him out as a great new character addition because of the way he was introduced and the relative unnecessary nature of his part of the GS storyline. The whole point of that storyline seemed to be to introduce Fitz as a relevant character for future books (I know there was a Harry epiphany involved, but it still feels like a tangent if that's all it was for). I was very disappointed when I saw that WoJ about Fitz being a one-shot. :(

I hope he comes back, too.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
The cursed hint is 100% my hint to point people at MacFinn.  It's only based off of the other evidence, it's not canon.

Remember people, that the "Fitz is cursed" is not a WOJ.  It was a hint that Serack used at beginning of this thread to get people to guess MacFinn.  I have seen multiple times where people state there is a WOJ about this when in fact there isn't.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
I agree. Many of us singled him out as a great new character addition because of the way he was introduced and the relative unnecessary nature of his part of the GS storyline. The whole point of that storyline seemed to be to introduce Fitz as a relevant character for future books (I know there was a Harry epiphany involved, but it still feels like a tangent if that's all it was for). I was very disappointed when I saw that WoJ about Fitz being a one-shot. :(

I was pleased. Because the whole point of that story thread seemed to me to be about Harry's character development, not about any other scale of plot, and as I believe I have said before, I get a little tired of ways of reading the books where every single detail is taken as having to serve a plot function.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Sm0kEyNy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Just another observation of someone with red curly hair and golden eyes..."a very tall, slender, inhumanly beautiful woman stepped out of the smoke.  Reddish hair curled down past her hips in a riotous cascade, complementing her flawless skin, high cheekbones, and lush full bloodred lips.  Her face was ageless, and her golden eyes had vertical slits instead of pupils, like a cat..."Hello, my son," Lea purred.  I stepped forward, between the faerie and Michael and said, in a rough voice, "Hello Godmother."

Listens to Wind and Lea BOOM!!! 8)
and on another note not done reading but for the people point out how seraks guess doesnt fit the timeline i say "since when has jim let little things like descrepancies in timeline or tons of other things get in his way of telling a good story" he lets us nerds worry bout that stuff and argue if its intentional clues or jus actualy mistakes
The force is like Duct Tape - it has a dark side, it has a light side, and it binds the universe together!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Listens to Wind and Lea BOOM!!! 8)
and on another note not done reading but for the people point out how seraks guess doesnt fit the timeline i say "since when has jim let little things like descrepancies in timeline or tons of other things get in his way of telling a good story" he lets us nerds worry bout that stuff and argue if its intentional clues or jus actualy mistakes

Some of us think that "good story" inherently entails having explanations for all the discrepancies, though.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline badassassin

• Conversationalist
  • Carlos Ramirez does it with magic... oh wait.
    • View Profile
I still think that fitz can't be a wolf because we have a wolf character. it would be like a new cop joining with murphy-what's the point? we have a couple of wolves already. IMO, that means that 1. either fitz is a wolf but will not be significant, or 2. that he isn't a wolf and would be significant.
since fitz got a lot of screen time in GS, i say it has to be the second
This is where i stand. I can do no other.
Entropy magic+ Earth magic+ sweater vests= badass assassin= badassassin

Quote from interitus:Also, Kincaid isn't exactly a Carebear,