Author Topic: True Names; sponsored magic!?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
True Names; sponsored magic!?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
I'm thinking of running a pure fantasy world campaign with FATE. Using the rules from the DFRPG which are awesome. I recently read Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle and was inspired to try to create some kind of sponsored magic based on True Names. A wizard who knows the name of the wind, or fire or anything else can use ti to do magic and manipulate that thing. I thought the best way to create such a thing would be to do it as sponsored magic, but I'm stuck. I don't really know how to do it. I would apreciate some help :)
Any ideas?
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: True Names; sponsored magic!?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:47 PM »
To be honest that just sounds like a different "skin" for normal evocation. I don't see any reason to make it sponsored unless you really want a set up where the person can owe the wind, etc.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:31 PM »
Sponsored Magic is really all about a sentient being offering you power in exchange for you doing its bidding (to varying extents, perhaps).  In your proposal, knowing the true name of some elemental power source allows you to tap freely into that power source.

In DFRPG terms, what this sounds like to me is an alternate evocation tradition (see YS253) with more rigid boundaries defining what each element is capable of.  Learning the True Name of an element grants access to that element's spells (which would be represented mechanically by taking a Refinement to add that element to your evocation).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
I'm thinking of running a pure fantasy world campaign with FATE. Using the rules from the DFRPG which are awesome. I recently read Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle and was inspired to try to create some kind of sponsored magic based on True Names. A wizard who knows the name of the wind, or fire or anything else can use ti to do magic and manipulate that thing. I thought the best way to create such a thing would be to do it as sponsored magic, but I'm stuck. I don't really know how to do it. I would apreciate some help :)
Any ideas?
If you give the named concept an agenda, standard sponsored magic would work without any changes.  (Fire's 'agenda' seems easy, other concepts may be less obvious.)  If you're looking for something more impersonal you might try treating it as a stunt / power.  Something granting a +1 to Air spells for knowing the True Name of the Wind or similar bonus.  You could also simply treat it as an aspect.  The "Wizard on a First Name Basis with the North Wind" would gain a +2 anytime he could invoke it.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:29:33 AM »
I could just use it as a different type of basic evocation, but I thought to have two types of spellcastingin this campaign I would do. The first would be the normal DFRPG spellcasting with symbols and focus items and such. I was thinking that True Naming would be rare, only a handfull of people would have it and it would be like sponsored magic. I am still thinking about an agenda. Those people who had it could do some thaumaturgy at evocation speed( just like with sponsored magic) and would get a bonus to evocation for the elements whose true name they know. Probably a control bonus.

If you give the named concept an agenda, standard sponsored magic would work without any changes.  (Fire's 'agenda' seems easy, other concepts may be less obvious.)  If you're looking for something more impersonal you might try treating it as a stunt / power.  Something granting a +1 to Air spells for knowing the True Name of the Wind or similar bonus.  You could also simply treat it as an aspect.  The "Wizard on a First Name Basis with the North Wind" would gain a +2 anytime he could invoke it.

That is a good idea, I could treat it as a stunt instead of creating a new sponsored magic. Treating it as an aspect would also work, and it could be very usefull for the players.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »
I have been trying to stat sympathies for DFRP but hit the brick wall that the power of sympathies is entirly based on how they are used so is mostly narrative and so can't really be statted by a magic system which is so systematic. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:54:17 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
I have been trying to stat sympathies for DFRP but hit the brick wall that the power of sympathies is entirly based on how they are used so is mostly narrative and so can't really be statted by a magic system which is so systemic.   

I had the same idea and decided it would be to difficult also. So I thought to treat the normal DFRPG magic as "sympathy"(I know its not the same thing but it could work) and Naming would be the other form of magic. And that's why I am trying to make Naming into sponsored magic or a stunt of some kind :-\

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »
Why not just have Name-omancy be your Channeling/Ritual? The only restriction is you can't do a spell you don't have a name for? For example, everyone knows that fire's name is Brisignr, so fireballs are common. However, not many know that wind's name is Austru, so flight is a lot less common.

If you like, change the Refinement rules for channeling/ritual if you want to be able to pick up specialization boni.

Remember, since the magic is in the name, you need to speak the name to invoke the power. This means no such thing as silent casting. Also, any focused items must be carved with the true name of whatever it aids with.

Just my 2c.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
I'm probably going to go with something like that EldritchFire. Thank's for the suggestions everyone, you gave me a few ideas that I will have to work on :)