Author Topic: Sebastian Shaw's Power  (Read 1395 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Sebastian Shaw's Power
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:45:52 AM »
I was for reasons best left unsaid trying to stat all of the x-men from the first class films using DFRP system and I well most of the powers are stat-able in the system if you treat them as a degree or two less powerful than they are in the films so for example I statted Professor X as having full incite obedience with an area upgrade + a [-3] refresh supernatural sense telepathy power which allows him with empathy to read minds.

The problem with statting Shaw's power is that there is very little room for non-toughness catches or situational power boosts beyond aspects in the system. Shaw has the power to absorb energy and use it to make himself faster and stronger, so far to statted him as having Physical Immunity with a catch of ambushes and human formed mythic strength (which he can only use after absorbing force) my problem with my current solution is that it does not lead to a phased increase in power depending upon how much energy he absorbs.

My only other idea how to show something like this with the DF system would be using a custom power which creates a ‘charged’ aspect every time someone hits him but does not damage him (due to physical immunity) which he could then invoke in his counter attacks or playing extremly fast and loose with the rules use to buy temporary physical powers such as speed and strength (I know this isn't allowed within the raw but one tag roughly equates to one fate point anyway).  

Does anyone have any better idea on how to do this ?  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:00:04 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Sebastian Shaw's Power
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:00:40 AM »
You could make it sort of a trade-off, so that he can choose to take stress from an attack and then buy temporary powers at the amount of the stress taken.

Or better yet, have him take the powers and put human form on anything but the physical immunity He can activate those powers by taking stress instead of ignoring it with his immunity. Kind of like the Vampires hunger stress works, only he has to pay it in advance instead of resisting it afterwards. I would let him downgrade the powers if needed, so if he only gets hit for 2 stress, he could take inhuman speed instead of superhuman speed. That way, he is not just a juggernaut, and he is vulnerable enough, if he has to access too much power too fast, so he would be playable and not totally overpowered.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
Does something like this fit?  It stretches the mechanics a bit, but as a thought experiment...

-8 Physical Immunity
    +3 Catch: non-kinetic attacks
+1 Human Form, affecting:
    +1 Involuntary Change; each kinetic-based attack turns on two refresh worth of:
    -4 Supernatural Strength
    -4 Supernatural Speed

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:25:12 AM »
Take the second level of human form (involuntary change +2) on Mythic Strength and have the change depend on how much energy he absorbs. As for his physical immunity, his catch should be "non-energy" for +3. I.e. cold damage, energy drain, acid damage, poisons, entropy magic, vacuum, suffocation, void magic and similar hazards don't impart energy on the target at all - not even kinetic energy - and some in fact kill by draining energy instead. That makes him a nice submerged character cost-wise.

As for other X-men, you don't have to limit them to submerged. And once you do not, they are all stattable. Professor X for example should have Senses -3, all used for his level of Telepathy (that kind of sense is equivalent to a dozen individual supernatural senses), Incite Obedience -4, Master Dominator -4, Unlimited Mental Range -3, Area Mental Power -20 (to be able to affect 10 zones at once without penalty), Speed of Thought -2 (can always act first initiative-wise as if he had Mythic Speed, limited to mental actions). This puts him at a whopping -36 refresh but makes him capable of instantly controlling an entire stadium of people, permanently rearranging the thoughts of others, reading thoughts and emotions as easily as we read roadsigns and so on.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
I agree with Belial, take involuntary human change, but link it to Modular Abilities. That way, you can get what you want when you need it.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog