Linked Events

• Signing in Chicago, IL: July 27, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Chicago (Naperville), IL on 7/27  (Read 36193 times)

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Chicago (Naperville), IL on 7/27
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
There were almost 375 at last count for signing only.  I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 maybe?  If you count some folks that came along for the ride maybe.

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
I had an awesome time last night meeting everyone :)  I also have a vid that I am working on breaking down to put on YouTube, but I may have to step out to pick up a separate video program to shrink the files.  I'm having a bit of an issue in regards to that one little fact :-[ 

I'll post a couple pictures when  get that up as well, along with the any pics I have of the gang :)

Offline Lany79

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2011, 06:48:24 PM »
Not sure how late, exactly, Jim was signing. I think it was about 9pm ish when they were round 150 or something like that? I know that Jim said he'd stay around after everyone's number had come up and sign more stuff, if people had more than just the book they bought, and one they brought from home, which is what the staff was allowing in the intial signing so that everyone could get through.

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
*just dies with laughter* I just realized Pris meant how late he was there.  I don't remember, Chiro, MX, and I left shortly after getting our books signed, I was #119, and with having over 375-400, I'd say maybe....11, or maybe later?  They seemed to be going pretty quickly and they were only in the very beginning (1-50?), we'd left the shop for a short time to grab something to eat and when we returned we were supposed to be up in line already, and we weren't really gone that long.

Did your Recording, the voice recording, come out, MX?  Believe it or not (remember me telling you how I'd lost the one recorder and bought another, then when we arrived down there the first one was in the basket?  It happened again, I can't find the one with the recording on it!!!)

I'm glad we left when we did, I hit a horrible storm on the way back and ended up driving 30 or so mph down I-90 on the way back for quite a distance.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:58:47 PM by Alilisa »
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
Ali! I am so glad I met you in picture.  :D You seem so nice as I imagined you. And I am very happy (and envious  :P) for "the gang" having a great, great time.

And your costume is awesome! I hope you had fun doing it! You totally rocks!

Aww thank you, Dina, I LOVED doing the costume, you make me blush!  thank you so much, we did have such a good time....*Looks to the others, then whispers* at least I did, maybe I just embarrased the rest of them *snickers*
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
Trust the people! They are not mean, Ali!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
Oh I know, I was just kidding, Dina (((Dina)))

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
Did your Recording, the voice recording, come out, MX?  Believe it or not (remember me telling you how I'd lost the one recorder and bought another, then when we arrived down there the first one was in the basket?  It happened again, I can't find the one with the recording on it!!!)

I'm glad we left when we did, I hit a horrible storm on the way back and ended up driving 30 or so mph down I-90 on the way back for quite a distance.

I'm glad you two made it back ok :)  I'll admit to being a bit concerned for you and Chiro driving back that late.  I drove pretty slow through the cruising zone to see if the rest of our lil group was hanging out, but came up with zero.

The recording came out sweet.  I played it through my bluetooth connection in the car on the way home and again through hdmi to my TV at home.  Nothing but net :)  Very loud and I didn't perceive any distortion.  The video looks really good on a 50 inch too.The problem with the sound is the speaker on the phone itself, I think.  There is a fix to it, but I have to wait to get root access to it, which is officially coming in August/September.

The only question is going to be how the compression down to an uploadable format occurs.  I want something that won't hurt the resolution much, but also isn't a PITA to upload.  ETA is still tomorrow.  I WILL get it done :)

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »
Chiro was probably glad to get back to some peace and quiet (without me talking so much :D) I didn't realize when I got on I-90 that there were two lanes during the construction and got stuck behind a truck driving 45 constantly in the construction zone, after the storm!  Ooooohhhh but the lightning was soooo beautiful, and bright at times. 

I can't wait to see the video, I'm so excited.. Thanks, MX!

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
i think i saw you Alilisa but i had no idea it was you. Ugh i have pics. I was one of the ones to have his questions answered woot. I also had no idea that my hair cut is a crew cut till Jim called me. Ill post pics of the event that i had
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2011, 08:13:25 PM »
Hey, i remember him saying something like "the one with the crew cut" :)  I can't wait to see the pics.

I was too, I'm the one who asked about whether or not he used fans ideas and mentioned the place on the forums where the ideas are at. :D  yep, that was me!!  Told you I'd be dressed up!!  ;D  

You should have come up and said something, I was looking forward to meeting you, we all were!

Offline emgirl

• Participant
  • I geek sci fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
The Ms. and I will be dressed as Ms. Gard and Butters respectively.  We plan on getting there some time between 5:30 and 6 (depending on traffic, Google maps has us getting there at 5) so dinner sounds good.  I just discovered Jim last year so this is my first signing.  ;D
You guys were awesome!! Loved the conversation and the costumes! How great was JB, right?! I'm going to try to get the pics up tonight.

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:59 PM »
I have uploaded the Naperville Q&A onto YouTube.  There are three parts that run a total of about 40 minutes.  Lots and lots of great stuff here :)  Recording was done from the ground up with my Evo 3D, so the angle is a bit different than what some may be used to seeing.  The second vid started out without seeing Jim, but that is brief and I made adjustments to correct for the rest of the Q&A.

One thing I did, to make it quicker on the upload for my somewhat meager connection here in town, was to go down to 320x240 at 15 FPS.  It makes it stutter, but not much.  Audio is still great, which was the main thrust of recording it.  Without further ado, here are the links to the three videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCOqCXjcqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySP76RX6GsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpKBOXdqBi4

Enjoy :)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2011, 11:35:31 PM »
Hey, i remember him saying something like "the one with the crew cut" :)  I can't wait to see the pics.

I was too, I'm the one who asked about whether or not he used fans ideas and mentioned the place on the forums where the ideas are at. :D  yep, that was me!!  Told you I'd be dressed up!!  ;D  

You should have come up and said something, I was looking forward to meeting you, we all were!

me realizing i saw you was hindsight rather then during otherwise i would have
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
Emgirl and MathGeek, we looked for you guys too, and had no clue. I only saw one Butters, in a blue scrubs, was that you? he's in one of the pics, look close by the post, is that you???  (See, to the left of the post, the guy in the blue scrubs?)

Aww, would have loved to talk to you, GW!!  Or did I scare you *snickers, then hugs*