Author Topic: Jim speaks much truth  (Read 11263 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Jim speaks much truth
« on: May 26, 2006, 12:39:57 AM »
Jim got himself a livejournal account a while back and made a few posts on it before his writing schedule ate him again.  It's good stuff, focused on some of the fundamentals of the craft.  Check it out:

http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Liddy Midnight

• Participant
  • Get Stroked by Midnight!
    • View Profile
    • Get Stroked by Midnight
Re: Jim speaks much truth
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
You are so right about that! He's clearly studied his craft and shares it in an articulate, entertaining manner.

At signings and chats, I've sent any number of beginning writers to get a little guidance from him. (I say 'beginning' and not 'aspiring' because anyone who strings words together is a writer. It takes a lot more to become an author.  8) I just wish he'd take a few minutes now and then to drop a few more pearls of his wisdom into that blog. Here's hoping newbies don't take one look at the last dateline and figure it's stale. Not stale at all -- it's timeless, as the truth often is!

Hugs,
Liddy
"A vampire, a psychic and a werewolf walk into a bar on Alpha Prime" -- 1,001 Stellar Jokes
ROGUES by Liddy Midnight and Cricket Starr
Ellora's Cave Publishing

Offline Donna

• Participant
  • Always look on the bright side of life...
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
Jim  gives wonderful advice.  I found his livejournal through the mailing list, and have sent the link to other aspiring writers. 

I know he's too busy with his own writing to post such long pieces.  Maybe, now that we have the forum, he could post briefer articles here?  Just a few paragraphs or maybe answer questions from time to time.

p.s.  Sorry about the glowing "Jim."  :)  I like the features on Mysql; it's the first time I've been on a board using it, so I'm playing a bit.
I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:26:47 PM »
Actually, MySQL is the database the software uses.  The actual forum software is Simple Machines Forum.  Good stuff.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 12:34:28 AM »
Would this be an appropriate area to have a thread that gives us a schedule of Jim's personal appearances? I would love to hear Jim speak the truth in person.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 05:29:42 PM »
Would this be an appropriate area to have a thread that gives us a schedule of Jim's personal appearances? I would love to hear Jim speak the truth in person.
I may need to put together a forum for "Jim-the-Person" type stuff, but for the time being, I expect that such postings -- outside of what shows up on Jim's Website (http://www.jim-butcher.com/news/) -- will show up under the announcements board, at the top of the list.
Fred Hicks

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:33:08 PM »
Great! Just let him know that the fans down here are concentrating very hard--"Jim, come to Florida. Jim, come to Florida."  ;)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline samstarfire

• Participant
  • -Gendo Ikari
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:19:02 AM »
Why do no authors come to maine? Jim has to come to Maine.

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
  • Order of the Slightly Dented Denarius
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:20:22 AM »

Your answer may have something to do with relative locations and populations.
This is not a .sig. It is a cabbage.

Offline samstarfire

• Participant
  • -Gendo Ikari
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 01:03:43 AM »
Well, yeah, but he could at least come to boston. I know the whole pop thing, but it's just not fair. I at least want my driver's liscene, then I can get to him :)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »

They've read too much Stephen King or HP Lovecraft, and are afraid of Mainers.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline AMinorMan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »
I am kicking myself because Jim came to San Diego (my stomping grounds) last Saturday for a signing of 'Proven Guilty' -which is INCREDIBLE- and I didn't find out in time to get the day off work.  Se la vie, but yeah, that would be cool to have a forum here discussing/posting personal appearances of The  Great One.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:36:36 PM by AMinorMan »

Offline lahodges

• Lurker
  • Charter Member Bookstore Commandos
    • View Profile
    • Wings ePress, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »
Mickey, your post about Maine made me lol.

When I saw Jim was going to be in San Diego I really wanted to go, but it would have been about a five hour drive for me and I just didn't have that kind of time.  I keep hoping he'll come closer to me, but it hasn't happened yet. Sigh.
I read recipes the same way I read science fiction.
I get to the end and think, "Well, that's not going to happen."

Offline neminem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 09:02:49 PM »
Dang, I didn't know he'd come to San Diego until just now. That would have been slightly far to get to, but would have been theoretically possible. I'd love to meet him sometime.

LOL, sorry I thought the INCREDIBLE on my last post would be displayed with some sort of flash animation, not become a link to a blank website.  Hope I didn't break any rules of intelligence. :o

Well, you certainly broke the rule of intelligence by not using the handy-dandy edit link to edit your original post to clean up the evidence. :P
EDIT: They call it "modify" on this forum. Same thing, though.

Offline OzwaldEMandius

• Participant
  • Rheeding is phundementil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 03:26:23 AM »

[Insert a joke about my ex-wife here.] I will petition whoever revises HTML to give us a randomized exwife joke function..really I will..

Goofing on my ex aside, I agree with Kalium, it's a population density thing as well as probably a "Let's see.. trip to warm, Disney/Six Flags having San Diego and killer Mexican food or windy, too darn hot in the summer, too darn cold in the winter New England.. lemme see.." factor.  I'm a Bostonian and to be honest I'd pay cash to take the guy out for a beer and some good Chinese food or Pizza (say what you will but NYC and Boston have a stranglehold on good pizza and chinese food.) 

If he tours the area, you'll see multiple bumps on the post from me.

Oh and one other thing about Maine.. having more people who think "I gotz mah own teeth" is a rare quality per capita is probably NOT a reason to lure a booktour to a state ;) 

(yes I'm a flatlander who can't resist the urge to poke at someone in fun sometimes.. if your bothered I'll buy ya a beer if he actually does do an appearance down in Boston)
Vaya con Dios, Bob.  May you have been in Heaven for an hour before the Devil knew ya left us.