Author Topic: Jim speaks much truth  (Read 11261 times)

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
Re: Jim speaks much truth
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 06:00:02 AM »
Much truth.

The LJ posts have helped my writing quite well. :D
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline AMinorMan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
Well, you certainly broke the rule of intelligence by not using the handy-dandy edit link to edit your original post to clean up the evidence. :P
EDIT: They call it "modify" on this forum. Same thing, though.

original post?? what original post?? I have no idea what you are talking about.  Hmm, oh well.   ;)

Anyhoo, to get back on topic, I agree with Kiriath; especially concerning character development...Jim's instructions are priceless! It seems so basic, but I had never thought to create a list of Tags or Traits for use with each character-I guess i just figured I knew my characters in my head, so they would come out consistent on paper.  As an ULTRA newbie writer, I find his basic instruction to be a very helpful resource.  Now if he can just spare the time to do an article on dialogue.......
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 03:01:01 PM by AMinorMan »

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 10:52:24 PM »
First element of advice, the one everyone seems to say:
Listen to people talk. :)
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline GG Crono

• Participant
  • Misplaced Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 05:24:13 AM »
And this is why we keep giving this man our money. He knows his shit. ;D
"What's the point of being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 02:56:34 PM »
First element of advice, the one everyone seems to say:
Listen to people talk. :)

Getting a good sense of dialogue is exceedingly important.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline BelleMorte

• Participant
  • Won't you come and dance with the Beautiful Death?
    • View Profile
    • Vampie
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »
Well I must say.. "words are in his blood" ... 
Jim Butcher is a very interesting mind.....
Slipping amongst the shadows, flitting between dark places, always quiet......

Offline pinkdoom

• Participant
  • I am nothing if not hi-lar-ious...occasionally
    • View Profile
    • Pinkdoom's Livejournal
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
Jim certainly gives good advice, and I agree...his bit on LJ about character development was a huge help to me.  In my reading and library work, I've run across some memorable characters:  Harry Dresden, obviously; of course Bob is as well, because now everyone wants a talking skull...:)  Other characters like Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast, Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, and Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme are all very memorable characters in modern fiction.

They're all memorable for different reasons.  Harry is sarcastic and has a great sense of humor, but what makes him stick out, for me, is his heart.  Yes, he may sling spells and have more than a few questionable allies in his line of work, but he is a guy who will do whatever it takes to protect the ones he cares about.  What also strikes me with Harry is that his character has evolved, but not disappeared.  There are other writers, whom I won't mention, whose characters have lost their touch, their uniqueness. 

The other characters I mentioned have very unique attributes to them as well.  Special Agent Pendergast is a New Orleans native, old money, whose complexion is white as a sheet, and he wears only black, tailored suits.  He's a brilliant mind who has old-world tastes and a general...oddness about him.  Of course, having a psychotic younger brother out to kill you (Diogenes Pendergast) also helps. :) Rachel Morgan's got her own array of spells and magic, along with a pixie sidekick, Stephanie Plum's a klutzy bounty hunter, and Lincoln Rhyme is a crippled, but brilliant, criminal analyst.

It's just like Jim said on his LJ (as I loop back around to the starting point of this reply)...you've got to make them memorable, because otherwise, they're as flat as the page they've been printed on.
-There's ADD, ADHD, and then there's the undiscovered, but highly dangerous WWDMTW...Wizards Who Don't Multi-Task Well.
-Right now, my arsenal of spells includes puff of air and ball of cheese.  I don't think either one's going to be of much help, though.

Offline Ghoulfish

• Conversationalist
  • What the Hell is a personal text????
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
Jim is very good at wrighting about writing his journal has given me the advice I need to continue on with my story

and

come to Alberta, Canada we don't live in igloo's I promise - we even have big cities and bookstores

www.BigDamnZine.com - Bringing the Browncoat movement to print

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »
... come to Alberta, Canada we don't live in igloo's I promise - we even have big cities and bookstores
surrounded by league upon league of empty wilderness.  Nothing between Edmonton and Calgary but an occasional reindeer! ;)

Go Flames!!!
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Qualapec

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 08:24:19 AM »
You know, I think that helped me more than just about any book on writing I've ever read.

Thanks Jim ;D

~She-Wolf

Offline harryismyhero

• Participant
  • Oh, how true this is...of ME... ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 05:37:30 PM »
Jim certainly gives good advice, and I agree...his bit on LJ about character development was a huge help to me.  In my reading and library work, I've run across some memorable characters:  Harry Dresden, obviously; of course Bob is as well, because now everyone wants a talking skull...:)  Other characters like Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast, Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, and Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme are all very memorable characters in modern fiction.

They're all memorable for different reasons.  Harry is sarcastic and has a great sense of humor, but what makes him stick out, for me, is his heart.  Yes, he may sling spells and have more than a few questionable allies in his line of work, but he is a guy who will do whatever it takes to protect the ones he cares about.  What also strikes me with Harry is that his character has evolved, but not disappeared.  There are other writers, whom I won't mention, whose characters have lost their touch, their uniqueness. 

The other characters I mentioned have very unique attributes to them as well.  Special Agent Pendergast is a New Orleans native, old money, whose complexion is white as a sheet, and he wears only black, tailored suits.  He's a brilliant mind who has old-world tastes and a general...oddness about him.  Of course, having a psychotic younger brother out to kill you (Diogenes Pendergast) also helps. :) Rachel Morgan's got her own array of spells and magic, along with a pixie sidekick, Stephanie Plum's a klutzy bounty hunter, and Lincoln Rhyme is a crippled, but brilliant, criminal analyst.

It's just like Jim said on his LJ (as I loop back around to the starting point of this reply)...you've got to make them memorable, because otherwise, they're as flat as the page they've been printed on.

Yes, your characters need, and, if you really want to go somewhere with your writing, are required to be interesting and three-dimensional. Otherwise...yeah, that whole "flat as the page they've been printed on" thing is very appropriate. :) That's why I love Jim's writing so; he never has any flat characters.

Also, I give you kudos for loving Pendergast; I adore him! ;D Preston and Child really struck gold with him and his series! I'm just so thrilled to see a Southern character who' s really smart and stylish, and who isn't portrayed as being a stupid, inbred hick! Because, despite what people may think, there aren't very many people from the South who are that way, thankyouverymuch.

Sorry. Rant over. :D Good post, pinkdoom!
"Hi, I'm Stephanie, and I'm a Dresdenaholic who thinks 'polka will never die.'"

"Do you know what a semiconductor is?"
"A guy that works part-time on a train?"
"...Never mind."

Offline pinkdoom

• Participant
  • I am nothing if not hi-lar-ious...occasionally
    • View Profile
    • Pinkdoom's Livejournal
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 08:07:55 PM »
Jim certainly gives good advice, and I agree...his bit on LJ about character development was a huge help to me. In my reading and library work, I've run across some memorable characters: Harry Dresden, obviously; of course Bob is as well, because now everyone wants a talking skull...:) Other characters like Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast, Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum, and Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme are all very memorable characters in modern fiction.

They're all memorable for different reasons. Harry is sarcastic and has a great sense of humor, but what makes him stick out, for me, is his heart. Yes, he may sling spells and have more than a few questionable allies in his line of work, but he is a guy who will do whatever it takes to protect the ones he cares about. What also strikes me with Harry is that his character has evolved, but not disappeared. There are other writers, whom I won't mention, whose characters have lost their touch, their uniqueness.

The other characters I mentioned have very unique attributes to them as well. Special Agent Pendergast is a New Orleans native, old money, whose complexion is white as a sheet, and he wears only black, tailored suits. He's a brilliant mind who has old-world tastes and a general...oddness about him. Of course, having a psychotic younger brother out to kill you (Diogenes Pendergast) also helps. :) Rachel Morgan's got her own array of spells and magic, along with a pixie sidekick, Stephanie Plum's a klutzy bounty hunter, and Lincoln Rhyme is a crippled, but brilliant, criminal analyst.

Yes, your characters need, and, if you really want to go somewhere with your writing, are required to be interesting and three-dimensional. Otherwise...yeah, that whole "flat as the page they've been printed on" thing is very appropriate. :) That's why I love Jim's writing so; he never has any flat characters.

Also, I give you kudos for loving Pendergast; I adore him! ;D Preston and Child really struck gold with him and his series! I'm just so thrilled to see a Southern character who' s really smart and stylish, and who isn't portrayed as being a stupid, inbred hick! Because, despite what people may think, there aren't very many people from the South who are that way, thankyouverymuch.

Sorry. Rant over. :D Good post, pinkdoom!

Woohoo!  Why thank you, harryismyhero!  Pendergast is just...different, in the good kind of way :)  He struck me in Relic, and I read every book from there on out!  (By the way...read Book of the Dead yet?  Let me know what you thought!!)  I'm so glad to have found another Pendergast fan!  Character is so very important, and, once again circling back to the original point of this thread, and without character, the entire plot fails.  I don't care how good it is, how unique or original or Pulitzer Prize winning it may be...characters make the story, because they are the story.

Good rant, harryismyhero...nothing wrong with a good rant! :)
-There's ADD, ADHD, and then there's the undiscovered, but highly dangerous WWDMTW...Wizards Who Don't Multi-Task Well.
-Right now, my arsenal of spells includes puff of air and ball of cheese.  I don't think either one's going to be of much help, though.