Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134352 times)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2011, 04:23:41 AM »
i think there is a major difference between an incredibly complex and artistic- a work of genius- circle of containment and that gigantic,a tching, insanly destructive piece of magic in the hellfire pentagram.

you can disrupt circles from the oustide, with apparently little of no energy being released.

methinks hellfire go boom.

look at the sobs who landed in it..
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2011, 04:40:47 AM »
Right. But they were talking about the Shedd Aquarium, where Luccio was stuck outside while the Denarians were fighting Harry, Kincaid, and Ivy inside.

Ah.  Thanks, I was getting several different battles confused in my mind.

Also, Hellfire is a raw force, unstable but way powerful- not a spell itself.  If the Denarians were using it to augment their pentagram spell, the way Harry uses it to boost his own fire spells, cutting through that enchantment may very well destroy only the framework spell and completely miss the Hellfire itself, releasing all that power at once- not pleasant for Harry and company.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline The Fish

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
it's possible that the hellfire pentagram also wouldn't have a solid physical base to crack, as it was mentioned that satan himself erected it.

Wait, why was he working with the denarians? i thought they had a falling out? ???
Are you my mummy? - Dr. Who, The Empty Child

"You May Not Get killed"- City motto of Ank-Morpork

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
Too many unkowns to ponder. I personally think the big d who imprisoned them is tehob, the black goddess arch enemy of the white god. That would make bthe fallen angel satan the OP uriel. This assumption is baed entirely on me thinking jim will not be able to pass up a seven headed dragon as bad guy ;)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2011, 12:33:39 AM »
Too many unkowns to ponder. I personally think the big d who imprisoned them is tehob, the black goddess arch enemy of the white god. That would make bthe fallen angel satan the OP uriel. This assumption is baed entirely on me thinking jim will not be able to pass up a seven headed dragon as bad guy ;)
As cool as that would be, I don't think we have the pages to cover the logistics of several "Lords of Hell", if you will.

However, Hell's Bell's (book one of the final trilogy, correct?) does sound summarily apocalyptic in the sense of Literal Hell. Here's for me hoping you're right about the seven-headed beast, and hopefully the harlot that sits upon the throne...
(click to show/hide)

New thought based off of that:
(click to show/hide)
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »
it's the old 'think like Jim' idea.

you are jim, and need a big bad. do you choose:

' a hot androgenous blonde with wings and a golden sword?' ( lucifer)

' a tall dark man with cloven hooves and a pitchfork ' ( evangelist satan)

' a  vast and terrible creature of smoke, bone and flame?' ( Abbaddon)

' a godzilla sized dragon with seven heads whop arises from the sea?' ( Tehob/ Tiamat)

E- all of the above. on crack.

lets see..for werwolves he chose : E. for vampires : E. for elves: E. for necromancers : E.

I sense a patern here..

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 10, 2011, 12:52:48 AM »
I sense a patern here..
True. However, the logistics of using many different versions of Satan runs the risk of drawing heat from the Christian sect. Lord knows I have a few Aunts who would go ballistic at the thought of someone portraying their Satan wrong.

Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline AlbinoRaven

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:15 AM »
From Summer Knight.  Martha Liberty says to Ebenezar "You know what he was meant to be".  I think this needs to be added to the unanswered questions list.  What was Harry meant to be?
I was re-reading and it bothers me there's not more discussion on this... its very interesting. She could just be referring to him being Justin's protege/black magic servant, but it certainly doesn't sound like that. It kind of goes with the theory that Harry was meant to be something, maybe someone planned his birth coincidences...

Raven  8)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2011, 04:27:38 AM »
there was a lot of discussion when it first came out:)

quite a few folks think it's a refernce to him being possible the re born kemmler, as is his little monolouge in TC when waiting for the WC on the isle.

there is a WOJ someplace that the WC has all the facts they need to figure everythign about Harry out, they just dont share with each other.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »
I was re-reading and it bothers me there's not more discussion on this... its very interesting. She could just be referring to him being Justin's protege/black magic servant, but it certainly doesn't sound like that. It kind of goes with the theory that Harry was meant to be something, maybe someone planned his birth coincidences...

It seems very unlikely to me that Maggie and company did not plan for him to be the Outsiderbane he is.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline AlbinoRaven

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
It seems very unlikely to me that Maggie and company did not plan for him to be the Outsiderbane he is.
double...negative...hurt...head...

I definently think there was some plan for the outsider bane, but I meant that it could be justified to say she was simply referring to his being under justin as a counter to that argument that Martha was referring to the outsider bane. I guess I should have stated that, and I thought I did, oops. I also did a forum search and I didn't see much in results, maybe my search was incomplete.

The question is is Martha aware of his outsider powers, or was she simply oblivious to the other things Harry was supposed to be? Or is there another added future someone had planned for Harry?

Raven  8)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
The question is is Martha aware of his outsider powers, or was she simply oblivious to the other things Harry was supposed to be? Or is there another added future someone had planned for Harry?

yeah, the thing about "meant to be" is who was doing the meaning ?

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »
double...negative...hurt...head...

"You are one of the least benightedly unintelligent people it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting."

Offline The Fish

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
yeah, the thing about "meant to be" is who was doing the meaning ?

I think this is the real question. by his mother? Mab? Justin? Black council? (how long have they been around, anyway?) the White Council? other unknowns? and I almost completely agree with the "all of the above. on crack" theory, with the sole addition of "plus one more"
Are you my mummy? - Dr. Who, The Empty Child

"You May Not Get killed"- City motto of Ank-Morpork

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
"You are one of the least benightedly unintelligent people it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting."

*throws a heavy object at neuro's head*  Criminal abuse of the English language.  For shame.

I personally thought it was a figure of speech- no one person orchestrated the entire thing, but a bunch of people and circumstances pushed Harry towards an expected or inescapable role.  Others, like Martha Liberty, just noticed the most likely outcome.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM