Author Topic: Theory on the Identity of the Parasite [Spoilers up to SG]  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Theory on the Identity of the Parasite [Spoilers up to SG]
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:48 AM »
Main Theory:  The parasite referenced by Demonreach is Lash, who is infected by Nemesis.

For this theory, I’m going to assume that Lash’s conversion to become Harry’s ally in White Night was genuine.  The battle against Vittorio and the ghouls was the last definite time that Harry interacted with Lash.  Lash took the burden of the psychic assault off of Harry so he could function well enough to take out Vittorio Malvora.  From his conversation with Bob, Harry believes that Lash has essentially taken a “psychic bullet” for him, and is permanently removed from his mind.  I propose that instead of being killed or removed from Harry’s mind, Lash was infected by Nemesis at this point in the story.  From Nemesis’s perspective, Lash is an excellent target to claim because through her, Nemesis has a chance to control Harry:  a starborn (whatever that entails), Mab’s go-to agent of constructive chaos, and a man that He Who Walks Behind was already interested in.  Overall, Harry is an important piece of Mab’s current strategy, so any influence over Harry is a good thing from Nemesis’s perspective.

From Lea’s behavior in PG and Cat Sith’s behavior in CD, we know that beings infected by Nemesis can resist its control to some degree.  Being in the pseudo-angelic category, hence pretty tough, Lash should be able to resist Nemesis in a similar manner.  I claim that after Lash was infected in WN, Lash shuts off all contact with Harry in order to protect him from herself.  She devotes herself to keeping her Nemesis infection in check.  Harry’s parasite induced headaches are the result of Nemesis trying especially hard to take over momentarily and Lash fighting to stay in control.  Both headaches noted in CD were points where Nemesis could have secured a big victory over Mab.
  • Harry’s headache in the Well occurs as soon as he realizes that he can release the naagloshii and other nightmares with a minimum of effort.  If Nemesis can get control of Harry for a few moments, the Well gets opened, and there’s chaos on Earth from all the bad mojo set loose.  Nemesis divides Mab’s attention, and wins a big victory.  This one isn’t really time dependent, which may explain the increasing number and severity of headaches Harry mentions in the beginning of Skin Game.
  • Harry has another headache when he first learns of the Outer Gates in CD.  Nemesis is trying to lure Harry away from Mother Summer, and into Outsider clutches, effectively removing the Winter Knight from Mab’s control.  Again, Nemesis wins.

Harry’s suicide at the end of Changes is a problem for Lash.  Mab and Demonreach need her to run Harry’s body while Harry’s soul is away, but she still wants to keep her no contact policy.  If Harry finds out about her, she knows he will try to do something heroic and endanger himself.  So she makes a deal.  She helps keep Harry alive, but the other two are not allowed to give Harry useful information about her.

Next, we examine Lash as an entity in the DV.  Originally, she is the Shadow of the Fallen Angel Lasciel.  Basically, she is a less powerful copy of the real Lasciel living in Harry’s brain.  Lash is able to grant Harry the use of hellfire, but more importantly, Lash allows Harry to use her knowledge of various subjects.  Considering Demonreach’s limited ability to communicate, I believe this is enough to qualify Lash as a spirit of intellect, like Bob.  She is the first spirit of intellect that Demonreach associates with Harry, making Bob “ANOTHER ONE.”  Furthermore, Lash taking the brunt of the psychic assault is similar to how Bob takes the brunt of the psychic assault from the LotON for Murphy in Changes.

The WoJ on Lash ‘essentially committing suicide with her “free will”’ is usually linked to Harry paying Kincaid to shoot him, but another interpretation is Lash copying Dresden’s choice to become Winter Knight.  If Nemesis!Lash is correct, Lash and Harry both sacrificed their free will to a powerful dark entity, and both temporarily committed suicide.

Going from a writing perspective, Jim has stated that the Lash subplot wasn’t in the original story.  He added it at the end of writing Death Masks.  Since the entire series was mapped out before Storm Front was written, we can speculate that the Lash subplot is replacing something less entertaining.  I propose that the original idea was Harry being infected with Nemesis and Harry’s “starborn-ness” was the explanation for how he could resist his own Nemesis infection when others could not.  It’s a fine idea, but with Lash as a buffer, things get better.  Without Lash, Harry is too special for Nemesis to touch, but with Lash, Harry is the guy that has friends willing to sacrifice to help him.  The second version of Harry is a much more interesting character for a reader.

So this is my current Nemesis!Lash theory.  Feel free to discuss and poke holes in it.

Relevant WoJ and Text Excerpts
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Edit:  Forgot to add in the WoJ on both Lash and Lasciel appearing in GS.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:27:53 AM by Second Aristh »
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on the Identity of the Parasite [Spoilers up to SG]
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
Nicely done, and nicely formatted.

Some thoughts:

1) There are are other places where Harry specifically mentions his headaches, most notably in TC (once, just as Morgan faints at his doorstep, and the other just when Mouse is apparently trying to tell him he (Mouse) can track the naagloshii.  For completeness, your theory should probably include those headaches as well.

2) Harry meets face to face with the very people who are best able to discover nemesis infection.  The fact that Rashid/Mother Summer didn't comment about detecting any infection implies that it is either non-existant, very well hidden, or that they don't want Harry to know he is actually infected. 

3) The fact that the headaches go completely away when Demonreach asks for it, implies that the parasite has some sort of control over how much pain is being caused.  If it is Lash (as you posit) as fighting with everything she's got against the infection, then I don't see how she can block all the pain at will, or why she doesn't choose to do so 100% of the time.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »
Nicely done, and nicely formatted.

Some thoughts:

1) There are are other places where Harry specifically mentions his headaches, most notably in TC (once, just as Morgan faints at his doorstep, and the other just when Mouse is apparently trying to tell him he (Mouse) can track the naagloshii.  For completeness, your theory should probably include those headaches as well.

2) Harry meets face to face with the very people who are best able to discover nemesis infection.  The fact that Rashid/Mother Summer didn't comment about detecting any infection implies that it is either non-existant, very well hidden, or that they don't want Harry to know he is actually infected. 

3) The fact that the headaches go completely away when Demonreach asks for it, implies that the parasite has some sort of control over how much pain is being caused.  If it is Lash (as you posit) as fighting with everything she's got against the infection, then I don't see how she can block all the pain at will, or why she doesn't choose to do so 100% of the time.
Thanks!  I was working on this for a while yesterday for Serack and didn't notice the holes.

For the headache with Morgan first showing up on Harry's doorstep, I categorize that as a mundane headache induced from stress.  Nothing to do with the parasite.
For the headache distracting Harry from Little Chicago, I'm with the Lady Duck.  Mab sent that one, nothing to do with the parasite.

This theory doesn't explain why Rashid or Mother Summer didn't notice Nemesis!Lash, but in that chapter, Rashid said that it was usually difficult, and Lash isn't easy to spot to begin with.  Bob didn't notice her when he was examining Harry in WN.

For the pain of the headaches, that only comes when Nemesis makes a push for control, and Lash resists it.  The battle between them is more like a siege than anything else.  Most of the time, neither one is active.  That's why there isn't constant pain for Harry.  Demonreach is able to intervene because he has a direct line to Harry's brain (the same line Harry uses to access the island's intellectus).  He can put his metaphysical weight behind Lash's efforts.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Grotms

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
My few thoughts. I like it.

To knnn:

However, it is possible that the headache from TC was in fact the result of Nemesis trying to take control. It's very likely it had some knowledge of Morgan plan and wanted Dresden to kill him.

In response to the pain: Lash doesn't realize the pain she's causing in dresden until Demonreach points it out? Both of these explanations are somewhat thin, but hell, with my wife's cooking thin is my middlename.

Finally, Rashid straight up says its impossible to determine with any certainty if someone is infected. Or perhaps I'm misremembering that conversation.
"Willy E. Coyote. Suuuper Genius."

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »
Oooh, a 2πr theory.  I'll have to poor over it after I've got Lil Serack down for bed
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
*Pulls up his chair and grabs some metaphorical popcorn*  I'll start my commentary by generating it from impressions as I read, and individual thoughts will be separated by quotes of of what generated them, or be started with an ** to show that it is separated from the previous comment

Being in the pseudo-angelic category, hence pretty tough, Lash should be able to resist Nemesis in a similar manner.

Lash was wearing thinner and thinner at the seams over the course of White Night.  I think she was severely weakened by her long struggle to try to overcome Harry's resistance plus by her identity crisis.  As such, I'm not sure how much she would be able to fight this influence, although Jim has also drawn parallels between her and Harry, and if we draw them further, one would be that she would fight strongly vs outside influence.

Lash shuts off all contact with Harry in order to protect him from herself.

The "WoJ on Lash's sacrifice" can be interpreted to strongly support this conjecture.

Lash was apparently able to gain free will from harry, a mortal. Can mortals potentially grant free will to other supernaturals like vampires and faries?”
That’s… a spectacularly complicated question, really.  :)
Lash didn’t gain free will, per se. Lash gained individuality, became a singular entity, self-motivated and distinct from the personality of Lasciel the Fallen. That personality was strongly influenced by Dresden, who believes very strongly in individual choice and responsibility, but doesn’t necessarily equate to free will in the sense of what mortals possess.
You might note that Lash essentially committed suicide with her “free will.” A choice which rather strongly resembles another choice a few books later in the series.

When Jim said that, I didn't bother to ask the question, "Why would Lash consider herself a monster that needs to be naturalized to protect those she loves?"  This unasked question is answered very neatly by your theory thus far. 

**I like your analysis of the timings of the known parasite induced headaches in CD.  I don't necessarily think they should be so directly tied to Nemesis' attempts to battle against Mab so much as the attempt to subsume the entire mortal reality (+ it's associated NN), but the battle against Mab is a good starting perspective.

**Your analysis of the "deal" between the Parasite and Mab/Demonreach does a good job of answering a lot of questions, but doesn't seem to quite address the Nemesis' motivations in the deal.  If Nemesis has enough influence to be a danger to Harry, it should have some say in how that worked out too.

Lash allows Harry to use her knowledge of various subjects.

Have you seen my theories tying together Lea's comments about the nature of Harry's recollection of the HHWB fight, and Lash's ability to have perfect recall of things Harry had seen?  Here's a link to a recent post about it (and a later post that quoted the relevant quote from Lea).

Considering Demonreach’s limited ability to communicate, I believe this is enough to qualify Lash as a spirit of intellect, like Bob.  She is the first spirit of intellect that Demonreach associates with Harry, making Bob “ANOTHER ONE.”

I'd like to take this moment to point out that as far as my research has shown, 2πr is the first person to propose this totally awesome theory that the Parasite/Lash is the other entity implied when Demonreach said "ANOTHER ONE"

Furthermore, Lash taking the brunt of the psychic assault is similar to how Bob takes the brunt of the psychic assault from the LotON for Murphy in Changes.

I think those two psychic attacks were considerably different.  One left observable (by Bob) damage to Harry's head, the other was compared to moves made by Vadderung and Mother Winter.  However, this is a pretty interesting comparison that I think still helps your argument for Lash = the other Bob like spirit of intellect.

It’s a fine idea, but with Lash as a buffer, things get better.  Without Lash, Harry is too special for Nemesis to touch, but with Lash, Harry is the guy that has friends willing to sacrifice to help him.  The second version of Harry is a much more interesting character for a reader.

Especially since one involves a hard won method of countering this major character hurdle, while the other involves something spiffy he was born with.

Ok, now for some cool thoughts that you managed to help stir up.

I keep coming back to the suspicion that Uriel is somehow responsible for the Parasite's growth.  In some versions of this theory when Uriel "invested power" he did it to tweak Lash so that she could source Soulfire to Harry, but he also had a "long view" (Uriel's words!) where Lash would be able to help keep Harry's meat sack alive during a potential foray with the boarders of Death (Something I think had some profound and vital hidden goals that I outlined in another post today that I will quote below).  And why stop there for potential benefits to reinvigorating Lash?  Maybe he knew she was a good buffer vs Nemesis influence and he knew this power infusion into her would help with this.

This gets even more interesting if you wonder if he worked things out with the other side to allow for this stuff in the first place.

Now the aforementioned quote:
I believe that what Mab and Demonreach might have shared in interest with Uriel mentioned at the end of GS was much more meta than something that would focus on Molly.

I suspect that this has more to do with the things that Vadderung and the Gatekeeper hinted at about how his forays with the boarders of life and death marked his soul in a way that will bring the attention of more powerful beings that otherwise would have not even noticed his insignificance.

In otherwords, his adventures in GS fundamentally altered him somehow, and that change will serve these three's goals down the line.  Which falls in line with some of the things Jim has said about his goals for Harry for the BAT.  Jim wants things to be such that by the time the BAT comes about Harry will have developed into the solution of what goes down such that there would be no other way that the problems posed by the BAT could have been solved without him having gone through all the trials of the case files.  (that's my interpretation, and that's a rather recent WoJ so I would probably have a lot of trouble finding it)

Ok now to read the replies to this topic :)  Awesome post 2πr.  Lots of well thought out and expressed ideas and in an easy to absorb format.  TYVM for klobbering it together
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:23:26 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:16:17 AM »

Or maybe they saw it, and observed that he was doing a bang up job of resisting it.

For the headache with Morgan first showing up on Harry's doorstep, I categorize that as a mundane headache induced from stress.  Nothing to do with the parasite.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  This is almost certainly a "clue bat."  You are essentially explaining away every headache before CD, and we have pretty good textual and WoJ evidence that the Parasite induced headaches go back before Changes.

For the headache distracting Harry from Little Chicago, I'm with the Lady Duck.  Mab sent that one, nothing to do with the parasite.

I like the theory that Mab was responsible for it, but I'm not quite convinced that the Parasite wasn't involved in its perpetration. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:30:18 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 04:57:12 AM »
Lash was wearing thinner and thinner at the seams over the course of White Night.  I think she was severely weakened by her long struggle to try to overcome Harry's resistance plus by her identity crisis.  As such, I'm not sure how much she would be able to fight this influence, although Jim has also drawn parallels between her and Harry, and if we draw them further, one would be that she would fight strongly vs outside influence.
In WN, Harry only mentions in Ch.33 that Lash's hair is a little untidy (I agree probably from frustration at Harry and her identity crisis).  The only other time she is mentioned to be unraveling is while she's fighting off the sending from Vittorio, when she's talking to Harry.  My guess is with a physically (for lack of a better word) weakened Lash, Nemesis can't put too much strain on her.  Otherwise, it'll kill her for real, and it loses its connection to Harry.  The strain shown by Lash is important in the explanation of the headaches.  Lash has to really push herself to resist the outsider; it's an even match.

The "WoJ on Lash's sacrifice" can be interpreted to strongly support this conjecture.

When Jim said that, I didn't bother to ask the question, "Why would Lash consider herself a monster that needs to be naturalized to protect those she loves?"  This unasked question is answered very neatly by your theory thus far. 
If I'm right, I could definitely see Jim cackling in his mind as he answered the question.  He gets to mislead everyone without even stretching the truth.

**I like your analysis of the timings of the known parasite induced headaches in CD.  I don't necessarily think they should be so directly tied to Nemesis' attempts to battle against Mab so much as the attempt to subsume the entire mortal reality (+ it's associated NN), but the battle against Mab is a good starting perspective.
In the grand scheme of things, yes Nemesis is after reality itself, but Mab is the person on the other side of the chessboard.  Nemesis is going to focus 90% of its attention on her.  I think eventually we'll see that the casefiles are mostly a series of moves and countermoves between Mab and Nemesis, with some moves from Uriel and Odin thrown in to help.

**Your analysis of the "deal" between the Parasite and Mab/Demonreach does a good job of answering a lot of questions, but doesn't seem to quite address the Nemesis' motivations in the deal.  If Nemesis has enough influence to be a danger to Harry, it should have some say in how that worked out too.
In my mind, Nemesis was left out of the deal for spite on Mab's part.  It may also be the reason why it had to be Mab helping Harry and not trading off with Lea every so often (she's Nemesis free now and trustworthy to leave Harry with).  Someone tough enough to resist Nemesis was required if Lash was going to get to be in the drivers seat for a while.  One of the things that kind of bothered me about the earring in the SG reading was how easily it shut down the headaches when Demonreach took an hour to quiet the last one.  My guess right now is that Demonreach was fighting against Nemesis taking control of Lash, while the earring keeps Lash from taking control of Harry (probably giving Lash a break in the process, it wouldn't matter if Nemesis took over her if she couldn't take over Harry).

Edit:  Another thing just occurred to me.  Mab let Harry hang out alone on the island for a year.  That's a long time to keep him out of play, even if she needed the time squeeze to ramrod him into doing her will.  If Nemesis might have had a chance to get to him, Mab may have been scared to use Harry until times were desperate, in addition to the parasite's deadline.

Have you seen my theories tying together Lea's comments about the nature of Harry's recollection of the HHWB fight, and Lash's ability to have perfect recall of things Harry had seen?  Here's a link to a recent post about it (and a later post that quoted the relevant quote from Lea).

I'd like to take this moment to point out that as far as my research has shown, 2πr is the first person to propose this totally awesome theory that the Parasite/Lash is the other entity implied when Demonreach said "ANOTHER ONE"
I've seen that theory, and I like it.  I was mostly referring to the stuff that Lash tells Harry that he didn't know beforehand like Sumerian, the hand flexing trick from PG, the ignoring pain mind trick from SmF, etc.  Lash being able to access Harry's...celestial memory?(Serack, you should name whatever you want to call it) would be another link to Lash being a spirit of intellect.  Both Bob and the Archive get their information from somewhere, perhaps they get access to browse certain portions of the celestial memory?  It would help explain how they just get to know stuff without going around and learning it themselves.  Also, look what I recently found looking up Lash being disheveled:
(click to show/hide)

I think those two psychic attacks were considerably different.  One left observable (by Bob) damage to Harry's head, the other was compared to moves made by Vadderung and Mother Winter.  However, this is a pretty interesting comparison that I think still helps your argument for Lash = the other Bob like spirit of intellect.
Only if the holes in Harry's head where the result of the psychic attack, and not the holes that Lash left herself when she pulled away from Harry's consciousness.  Odin, Mama Winter, and Ferrovax used sheer will against Harry, but the LotON (and vampires in general) and Outsiders use a psychic attack.

Especially since one involves a hard won method of countering this major character hurdle, while the other involves something spiffy he was born with.
Yes, exactly.

Ok, now for some cool thoughts that you managed to help stir up.

I keep coming back to the suspicion that Uriel is somehow responsible for the Parasite's growth.  In some versions of this theory when Uriel "invested power" he did it to tweak Lash so that she could source Soulfire to Harry, but he also had a "long view" (Uriel's words!) where Lash would be able to help keep Harry's meat sack alive during a potential foray with the boarders of Death (Something I think had some profound and vital hidden goals that I outlined in another post today that I will quote below).  And why stop there for potential benefits to reinvigorating Lash?  Maybe he knew she was a good buffer vs Nemesis influence and he knew this power infusion into her would help with this.

This gets even more interesting if you wonder if he worked things out with the other side to allow for this stuff in the first place.

Now the aforementioned quote:
Ok now to read the replies to this topic :)  Awesome post 2πr.  Lots of well thought out and expressed ideas and in an easy to absorb format.  TYVM for klobbering it together
No problem.  Writing it all out usually helps to solidify a theory in my mind and expose holes.

Or maybe they saw it, and observed that he was doing a bang up job of resisting it.
Maybe that.  I'm a little worried about Rashid scanning Harry on the dock in TC.  It wasn't like in CD where he wasn't looking for something in particular.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  This is almost certainly a "clue bat."  You are essentially explaining away every headache before CD, and we have pretty good textual and WoJ evidence that the Parasite induced headaches go back before Changes.

I like the theory that Mab was responsible for it, but I'm not quite convinced that the Parasite wasn't involved in its perpetration. 
Going back and rereading the first part of TC, I take it back.  I remembered the scene wrong.  Harry had the severe headache before Morgan showed up.  Right now, the theory can't explain it well.  The only thing I can think of is Nemesis wanting Harry to not help Morgan, but that would require Nemesis to know what Peabody had done.  I'm not ready to say that all the Nemesis infected can communicate with each other yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:19:24 AM by Second Aristh »

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 05:20:21 AM »
O__O

Just...wow. One of the most well thought out theories I've heard yet and one I really agree with. I've been of the mind that Lash is the Parasite from the moment we've heard about the Parasite, but you put into words what I had been unable to yet. Great job!  :D

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »
So running with what Serack said about Uriel's favor not being just soulfire, but having to do with Lash instead, I got this idea.

Uriel chooses his favor to be reviving Lash from near death.  Since she's a good angel shadow now, she can give Harry soulfire herself.  Unfortunately by reviving Lash, Uriel gives Nemesis an opening through her following my theory.  It helps to explain the timetables for the headaches really.  Lash isn't strong enough to take over Harry between WN and her revival in SmF so Nemesis doesn't bother trying to control her.  Once she's revived, Nemesis gains interest again, and the headaches start.  That way, we can interpret the pre-finding-Morgan-at-the-door headache in TC to be a cluebat for Nemesis!Lash being in play again.
(click to show/hide)

Offline breck

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
Bob was able to protect murphy from the lords of outer night. I need to go back and reread those scenes to see if the loons attack may have left murphy with a headache. If so then that is more evidence to add to the list.