Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 134320 times)

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
How does a Dragon, a force of nature, have a kid?

However it wants to  :P
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »
How does a Dragon, a force of nature, have a kid? I mean, Shagnasty was neither male or female and his power level isn't anywhere near Ferro's or Mab's. Do these super-powerful beings get pregged in the traditional sense? Or do they just will an offspring into existence?

We've seen Mab do fun stuff with Harry, so maybe yes.  Also, we've seen Ferro look human, so presumably he could do something with a female mortal.  Take a look at Zeus - he supposedly had children with mortal women after appearing to them as a white bull/Satyr/golden rain/swan

And as for Drakul's rebellious son who joined the Black Court....if Drakul is a dragon would that make his son, who I presume is Dracula, half-dragon half-blampire? That seems kinda scary.

I believe that Eb says that Drakul is a scion - i.e half human.   Thus, I think Drakul could be a half-Dragon, making Dracula a quarter-Dragon?

Incidentally, I'm still holding out hope for a theory of mine where Kincaid and Drakul both the same type of scion - maybe even brothers.  The idea is that like changelings, they have the ability to choose to become like their mortal parent or like their supernatural parent.  Drakul chose, and that's why he's so powerful.  Kincaid hasn't chosen yet, and so that's why he is so touchy about fulling his contract obligations  and "I am as human as you" questions.  It's a way of clinging to his human side.

Of course, I hope this means that at some point in the series Kincaid will be forced to make the choice, and suddenly Harry will have a Drakul-level ally fighting alongside of him (or against him if he pisses him off)....

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
One thing I noticed concerning Kincaid's heritage was Harry's view of him with the Sight. A giant demon with a dead body attached that looked like Kincaid's human form.

Is this indicative of Kincaid's sacrifice of what humanity he has? Probably not, because he still seems very much human and he does care of Murphy, Ivy, and (maybe) Harry, due to Ivy.

Maybe the demon in the Sight is his old employer Drakul, metaphorically holding Kincaid, much like viewing Harry with the Sight shows HWWB.

Maybe the Demon is metaphorical.

And Maybe it's his battle shape-shifting form, a la Dante from DmC  :P. (Because he's quickly becoming an expy of Dante in my mind)
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »
One thing I noticed concerning Kincaid's heritage was Harry's view of him with the Sight. A giant demon with a dead body attached that looked like Kincaid's human form.

Is this indicative of Kincaid's sacrifice of what humanity he has? Probably not, because he still seems very much human and he does care of Murphy, Ivy, and (maybe) Harry, due to Ivy.

Maybe the demon in the Sight is his old employer Drakul, metaphorically holding Kincaid, much like viewing Harry with the Sight shows HWWB.

Maybe the Demon is metaphorical.

And Maybe it's his battle shape-shifting form, a la Dante from DmC  :P. (Because he's quickly becoming an expy of Dante in my mind)

Actual its not a dead body that looks like Kincaid attached to the demon form it is:
For just a second I saw something standing there. Something enormous, malformed, something silent and merciless and deadly. It had to crouch to keep from brushing the ceiling with the horns curling away from its head, and batlike wings spread from its shoulders to fall around it and behind it, to drag along the floor, and I thought I saw some kind of hideous double image lurking behind it like the corpse-specter of Death himself.

And many of us believe that the corpse specter of death is really Mavra veiled and taking pictures that Harry just happened to see with his sight when he say Kincaid.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
Actual its not a dead body that looks like Kincaid attached to the demon form it is:
And many of us believe that the corpse specter of death is really Mavra veiled and taking pictures that Harry just happened to see with his sight when he say Kincaid.
Ahhh thanks for clarifying. BR is one of the few books I don't re-read on a regular basis. That and FM.
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2011, 04:03:22 AM »
Okay, I need to add that bit about Mavra and the photographs.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »

It's certainly one those theories I keep a finger on  On the other hand, we've seen soul gazes (not the Sight, but similar) with Rasmussen and Thomas where there is a similar duality -> there is a demon in the background. 

We'll just have to wait and see..
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
P.S.

In Grave Peril Harry gets a glimpse of Marva using the Sight.  She doesn't appear like anything other than a dead corpse.

DV Geek code:

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
P.S.

In Grave Peril Harry gets a glimpse of Marva using the Sight.  She doesn't appear like anything other than a dead corpse.

Harry also "lowered the Sight before it showed me something that I didn’t want to keep with me." when looking at Marva In Grave Peril, so that's not really that good a example to go by.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
I would like Harry to use the sight on Hendricks. An apology would probably follow.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline unfilthy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »
I had thought it was clear that Molly was taken to Arctic Tor so that Harry would assault it so that Mab could force her own hand back to where she wanted it, despite some outside influence, said outside influence being the reason she was so angry she had her kitty talking for her for so long....

That's exactly how I understood it too, but then I haven't been subjected to as many theories as the board regulars have ;)

So far, the general consensus has been that the Erlking is the most likely culprit for the hexenwulfen belts, but we're not sure.

Is it just me, or does this just seem like a really odd thing to happen?

I mean, sure, I get the hunting connection, and there's the whole FBI location paralleling the Erlking's lair in the NN, but I personally got the impression that the Erlking was someone who wouldn't bother with such small scale stuff. I mean, he can lead the great hunt and has a whole lot of minion and he's a freaking Faery King, so lots and lots of power, and he seems to enjoy the sportsmanship of it all, so it seems to me like giving a handful of belts to some random FBI agents would be too small time (even lame) for someone of his caliber, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

1. Was Rudolph being influenced by anyone other than the eebs/before the eebs?
I recently re-read GP in which he's explicitly and vocally supportive & protective of Murphy. While his denial regarding his experiences with the supernatural can explain some of his general irrationality and hostility, and his ambitious nature can explain his weaselly behavior and wish to escape into IAD at the expense of the people in SI, he still seems to have changed rather drastically over the years, into something almost rabid, without the corresponding on screen experiences that would explain it. Or maybe some people just don't need a reason to become hateful and nasty.

2. Have we met any Outsiders (other than HWWB)? Are there any Outsiders hanging out in the real world without our knowledge? Could Outsiders even be in the real world in a non-detectable way?
I have a lot of Outsider questions... which reminds me, there are some notions that Harry is meant for a mantle like the Warden (singular), which we don't know much about, or Blackstaff (for which I personally consider Harry to be supremely unsuited), but what about Harry as Gatekeeper?

Also, hi! I'm new (in an "I've been lurking since finishing Changes" kind of way).

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
Is it just me, or does this just seem like a really odd thing to happen?
Well, we can assert that he didn't necessarily intend to cause trouble for Dresden in particular. Maybe he was enhancing the hunter aspect of the FBI agents, themselves hunters of criminals. Maybe he was purposely pitting them against Marcone, the man with the soul of the tiger. Maybe he wanted to pit them against the Loup-garou.

Think of it like this. A wholeeeee bunch of werewolves of every flavor all showed up in one city, at one time. Given that wolves embody the spirit of the hunter, I can see the Erkling arranging this for shits and giggles.

Offline unfilthy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
Hmm. I can buy the Wolf Vs Tiger thing as plausible, but thinking about it now, I have to wonder; since when do the Sidhe just give mortals power?

So now I have a revised question:

What was the deal behind providing the FBI with wolf belts (and who/what was involved)?

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
As I understand it, the only real connection between the Erlking and the Belts is that the FBI building in Chicago opens to the NN in the middle of Erl's domain.

IMHO this is really weak because the Erlking doesn't seem to have any interest in Chicago other than generally causing mayham.  On the other hand, the guy who gave the belts to the FBI agents specifically warned them about the White Council, and suggested sabotaging the Loup-Garou to cover their tracks.  To me this sounds like someone/something with a much more specific agenda.

P.S.  Wasn't there some blurb about the agents coming from out of town?  That would make the whole NN connection even less relevant.

New looney theory:

Cowl/Marva gave the belts to the FBI agents to cause upheavals (fallout from them going crazy after using the belts) in the Chicago FBI building --> leading to chaos within Erlking's domain --> leading to easier summoning of Erl for the darkhallow.
DV Geek code:

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »
I can go with Cowl having to do alot of prep work for the Darkhallow. The magic drugs, the tormented ghosts, and the spalttercon fearfest are good ways to create a spiritually- heightened state in Chicago.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?