Is a DFRPG Resource Wiki a good idea?

Sounds good.
44 (89.8%)
Why bother?
3 (6.1%)
I need to think on it.
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: DFRPG Resource Wiki  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Resource Wiki
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:56 PM »
To be honest, I'm more inclined to make a new wiki than to use an old one. Neither of those sites has much content, and a fresh start would be nice. But in the end I'll go along with whatever the majority says because one site is vastly better than two.

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about wiki hosts. Sorry.

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 09:32:54 PM »
would we want to piggy back on a Dresden files Wiki?
Example
Dresden Files Wikia

or make one exclusively for the RPG?
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
Make one exclusively for the RPG, I think.  ... Oh, hell.  Alright.  Gordian?  I hear you have a knot that's an issue...

Ladies, gents, let me present our new Resource Wiki: http://dfrpg-resources.wikia.com/wiki/Dresden_Files_RPG_Resources_Wiki 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 01:20:07 AM »
Looks good for a start. What would you like me to do?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:05 AM »
Looks good for a start. What would you like me to do?
Whatever you want to. 

However, if you want suggestions...

There are two big overarcing things that need to be done:
Port over the NPCs, the monsters, the aspect lists, etc.
Organize the information for ease of access (tags, sortable tables, sub-pages, etc)

#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 04:37:46 AM »
Alright. My schedule opens up tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be able to do quite a bit. If you could leave the character section to me for a couple days I'd appreciate it.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
I started on the NPC section, but that was just setting up a basic organization and starting copying over some of the stuff you'd already done.  The rest is yours. 

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 07:46:52 PM »
Well, I just started editing under the name "Sanctaphrax is taken" because, well, the username Sanctaphrax is taken. But I've run into some technical difficulties. First, all formatting is lost when the page is saved or previewed. Second, several functions just don't work. You press Enter, and a paragraph break opens up four lines below your cursor. Is there anything I can do about this? If not, I suggest we switch hosts to one that actually works.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
Well, I just started editing under the name "Sanctaphrax is taken" because, well, the username Sanctaphrax is taken. But I've run into some technical difficulties. First, all formatting is lost when the page is saved or previewed. Second, several functions just don't work. You press Enter, and a paragraph break opens up four lines below your cursor. Is there anything I can do about this? If not, I suggest we switch hosts to one that actually works.

That's weird, on both counts.  I haven't been having any problems with formatting or other entry work.  *goes, takes a look*  Ah!  I see what you mean by formatting.  Okay, hmmm... let's see...

You entered this:
Code: [Select]
Demon Lord (Deep One)

High Concept: Demon Lord
Other Aspects: Skinwalker, Do Not Summon If You Wish To Live, Enemy Of God, Limitless Cruelty, Legions Of The Damned
Skills:
Epic: Conviction
Fantastic: Discipline, Lore
Superb: Intimidation, Presence, Contacts
Great: Deceit, Empathy, Resources
Good: Rapport, Scholarship, Performance
Fair: Burglary, Craftsmanship, Driving
Average: Endurance, Investigation, Fists, Guns
Stunts:
Fanatic's Attitude (Conviction): Use Conviction to defend against social attacks.
It Is Entirely Reasonable To Be Afraid Of Me (Intimidation): +2 to Intimidation against anyone who knows what the Demon Lord is capable of.
Demon Lord (Contacts): May use Contacts to acquire minions.
Legions Of The Damned (Contacts): May use Contacts to declare the presence of lesser demons.
Powers:
Marked By Power (Satan, or perhaps himself) [-1]
True Shapeshifting [-4]
Modular Abilities [-12] (Capable of changing the catch for toughness powers, so all catches are worth 0)
The Sight [-1]
Gaze Of The Damned [-0] (Reflavoured Soulgaze)
Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Sponsored Magic (Hellfire) [-2]
Refinement [-7]
Physical Immunity [-8]
The Catch (Holy Stuff) [+2]
Guide My Hand [-1]
Unrighteousness [-2] (The counterpart to Righteousness)
Unholy Touch [-1] (The counterpart to Holy Touch)
Sponsored Faith [-1] (May take sponsor debt instead of spending fate points to fuel True Faith powers)
Magic:
Evocation (Fire, Water, Spirit): +1 spirit control, +2 fire power, +3 fire control
Thaumaturgy: +1 necromancy complexity, +2 diabolism control, +3 diabolism complexity
Foci: Triangle Chain (+2 offensive power to hellfire), Square Chain (+2 offensive control to hellfire), Pentagon Chain (+2 complexity to diabolism)
Enchanted Items: 4 potion slots (strength 6)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

And got this:
Demon Lord (Deep One)

High Concept: Demon Lord Other Aspects: Skinwalker, Do Not Summon If You Wish To Live, Enemy Of God, Limitless Cruelty, Legions Of The Damned Skills: Epic: Conviction Fantastic: Discipline, Lore Superb: Intimidation, Presence, Contacts Great: Deceit, Empathy, Resources Good: Rapport, Scholarship, Performance Fair: Burglary, Craftsmanship, Driving Average: Endurance, Investigation, Fists, Guns Stunts: Fanatic's Attitude (Conviction): Use Conviction to defend against social attacks. It Is Entirely Reasonable To Be Afraid Of Me (Intimidation): +2 to Intimidation against anyone who knows what the Demon Lord is capable of. Demon Lord (Contacts): May use Contacts to acquire minions. Legions Of The Damned (Contacts): May use Contacts to declare the presence of lesser demons. Powers: Marked By Power (Satan, or perhaps himself) [-1] True Shapeshifting [-4] Modular Abilities [-12] (Capable of changing the catch for toughness powers, so all catches are worth 0) The Sight [-1] Gaze Of The Damned [-0] (Reflavoured Soulgaze) Evocation [-3] Thaumaturgy [-3] Sponsored Magic (Hellfire) [-2] Refinement [-7] Physical Immunity [-8] The Catch (Holy Stuff) [+2] Guide My Hand [-1] Unrighteousness [-2] (The counterpart to Righteousness) Unholy Touch [-1] (The counterpart to Holy Touch) Sponsored Faith [-1] (May take sponsor debt instead of spending fate points to fuel True Faith powers) Magic: Evocation (Fire, Water, Spirit): +1 spirit control, +2 fire power, +3 fire control Thaumaturgy: +1 necromancy complexity, +2 diabolism control, +3 diabolism complexity Foci: Triangle Chain (+2 offensive power to hellfire), Square Chain (+2 offensive control to hellfire), Pentagon Chain (+2 complexity to diabolism) Enchanted Items: 4 potion slots (strength 6) Total Refresh Cost: -48 Refresh Total: -10

I'm not sure what to do about this; the help files aren't very helpful, so, yeah, maybe switching to a different wiki host--one that has WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) formatting--might be a good idea.  First, let's see if we can do anything with Wikia.  If we're just beating our heads against the wall by the end of the weekend, we'll move to Wikispaces; I've been using it for about two years now, and I know their system well; it just doesn't have some tools that I know Wikia has, which is why I suggested Wikia.  *shrug*  No big deal.  Bit of a pity, though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:22:57 PM by bibliophile20 »

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 11:19:29 PM »
Hey! You have actual formatting on the NPC page! How do you do that?

By the way, I think that having a page for each character and making the NPC page into a collection of links would be advisable. The NPC page doesn't have many characters on it, and it's already unwieldy. Also, it would make it easier to sort characters into categories.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »
Hey! You have actual formatting on the NPC page! How do you do that?

By the way, I think that having a page for each character and making the NPC page into a collection of links would be advisable. The NPC page doesn't have many characters on it, and it's already unwieldy. Also, it would make it easier to sort characters into categories.
I used the formatting bar...  Huh.  Okay, I've been getting increasing frustrated with their interface all afternoon.  Rather than throw good effort after bad, I'm going to bite the bullet and start up a Wikispaces site, because I know that one works, and works well.

So, wikispaces.  http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/

I'm going to copy over what we already have, with the same format, with a few caveats.  One: Going to include a tag cloud on most of the pages.  I agree with the point that having each NPC with their own sub-page works, so there'll be a tag cloud there, and I'll take a few minutes to put together a template for NPC pages. 

However, Stunts and Powers should all be on one big page for each, I think; trying to break down Stunts by skill and powers by type will get confusing. 

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
Sounds good to me. There's no good reason to divide up the stunts and powers any further.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 01:45:49 AM »
Spells on the other hand... Individual pages each.  Given the novellas that some of them have accompanying them, that seems to be a decent idea.  ;)

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 05:45:41 AM »
Are you guys gonna post any rules definitions, not book excerpts, but definitions? WoJ stuff? Or is that crossing boundaries?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:20 AM »
We don't have any clear boundaries. We should probably ask Evil Hat for some.

Regardless, I intend to write a "player's guide" for this game sometime in the next week. It'll contain a basic rundown of the rules and answers to common questions. Once it's done, it'll go on the wiki. But someone else will have to do WoJ stuff, since I don't know anything about that. Does it stand for Word Of Jim (Butcher)?