Is a DFRPG Resource Wiki a good idea?

Sounds good.
44 (89.8%)
Why bother?
3 (6.1%)
I need to think on it.
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: DFRPG Resource Wiki  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Resource Wiki
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »
yes, it stands for WoJ, and seems to be mis-quoted quite often. :)  (especially when it comes to the Erlking, who everyone assumes Jim says is a King of Summer, but *NEVER* actually says that. :))

And the link for the thread of all collected WoJ is here:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

And the thread is very comprehensive.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:38 AM »
yes, it stands for WoJ, and seems to be mis-quoted quite often. :)  (especially when it comes to the Erlking, who everyone assumes Jim says is a King of Summer, but *NEVER* actually says that. :))

And the link for the thread of all collected WoJ is here:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

And the thread is very comprehensive.

Although the words "the Erlking is the Summer King" wasn't said...

Where are the Farie kings?  Do they exist?
Yes they do.  The Erlking as sort of the Hunter king, and Santa Clause, the Winter king who is not the commercial Santa Clause.  The kings are sort of the opposite of the queens in their given season.  They are independent of their Queen’s courts.  The Erlking is not a particularly friendly guy, whereas Santa Clause is kinder, the spirit of generosity in a time of bleakness.  Yah I’ve gota have Harry ask Mab about him so she can roll her eyes.

He does say that Santa Clause is the Winter King, but he makes it clear that he is talking about the 2 kings of the 2 opposite seasons, and the only other being he talks about is the Erlking.  Honestly, if Jim is even slightly trixy about how he words something he is upfront about it and makes sure we know.  If he doesn't want us to know something, he tells us.  I've heard him chant "I'm not gonna tell you and rub the inside of his elbow and mutter about heroin for writers a lot.  If the Erlking isn't the Summer King, then this WoJ is an instance of Jim trying to deliberately mislead his readership at a public Q&A and honestly, he respects us too much to do that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:00:29 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
Are you guys gonna post any rules definitions, not book excerpts, but definitions? WoJ stuff? Or is that crossing boundaries?
I was planning, in the example section, to post example combats (like that excellent example social combat or a link to it), example item crafting math, example ward construction, and other similar points.

Regarding WoJ, hasn't he said that he won't play this game, because he knows that he'll be the guy at the table saying "Well, it does work this way, and I'll throw something into the next book to prove it!"?   ;D ::)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »
Although the words "the Erlking is the Summer King" wasn't said...

He does say that Santa Clause is the Winter King, but he makes it clear that he is talking about the 2 kings of the 2 opposite seasons, and the only other being he talks about is the Erlking.  Honestly, if Jim is even slightly trixy about how he words something he is upfront about it and makes sure we know.  If he doesn't want us to know something, he tells us.  I've heard him chant "I'm not gonna tell you and rub the inside of his elbow and mutter about heroin for writers a lot.  If the Erlking isn't the Summer King, then this WoJ is an instance of Jim trying to deliberately mislead his readership at a public Q&A and honestly, he respects us too much to do that.

Of note:  It's A Summer King, not THE Summer King.  There are 3 Queens of each Court, so why not as many of more Kings?  It seems more like a courtesy title, something won by might instead of directly related to the Seasonal Courts.

EDIT: at 7:12 in the youtube video of the DragonCon interview he says specifically "The Erlking, he is a Summer King."
         And Santa Claus is "one of the Winter Kings" - plural
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:43:53 AM by Quazar »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Of note:  It's A Summer King, not THE Summer King.  There are 3 Queens of each Court, so why not as many of more Kings?  It seems more like a courtesy title, something won by might instead of directly related to the Seasonal Courts.

EDIT: at 7:12 in the youtube video of the DragonCon interview he says specifically "The Erlking, he is a Summer King."
         And Santa Claus is "one of the Winter Kings" - plural

Sorry, in almost all of the quotes in my compilation I was diligent to take the notes word for word, but that was one of the most recent quotes for the earlier iteration of the compilation and I was running out of words so I had to edit down.

Having forgotten that I was pretty much forced to edit that one down some, I was assuming that the quote in the resource was verbatim which it wasn't.

Really the whole point of my responding was to counter this:

yes, it stands for WoJ, and seems to be mis-quoted quite often. :)  (especially when it comes to the Erlking, who everyone assumes Jim says is a King of Summer, but *NEVER* actually says that. :))

And you pointed out that not only was it implied, but he did actually say "the Erlking is a summer king"

As to the nature of the titles.  He does say that the kings are related to the Seasons.  The Kings courts however are separate from the queen's courts.  So far when the winter court is referred it is usually in context to the winter Queen's court, but remember that Mauve's court has a level of separation from Mab's and it seems that the Respective seasonal King's courts also have a much higher degree of separation from the queen's courts. 
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
I was planning, in the example section, to post example combats (like that excellent example social combat or a link to it), example item crafting math, example ward construction, and other similar points.

Regarding WoJ, hasn't he said that he won't play this game, because he knows that he'll be the guy at the table saying "Well, it does work this way, and I'll throw something into the next book to prove it!"?   ;D ::)

Firstly, that's precisely what I was thinking of

Secondly, all kidding aside, even if he doesn't play this game his word is the definitive answer.  And I'd totally play this game for that EXACT reason if I were him. And I'd make a deity character named Jim. Or a Dragon. Or what have you.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 02:54:46 AM »
Firstly, that's precisely what I was thinking of

Secondly, all kidding aside, even if he doesn't play this game his word is the definitive answer.  And I'd totally play this game for that EXACT reason if I were him. And I'd make a deity character named Jim. Or a Dragon. Or what have you.

I'm pretty sure he said it at the latest Powell's Books signing, not sure where in the 6 youtube videos worth of Q&A though... maybe near the beginning.  

A more complete version of the quote is something like:

"I won't play because I'd be any GM's nightmare.  I'd be like, 'Yes it works that way, and if necessary I'll write it in the next book,' and I won't GM one because then that would be way too much like work."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:56:35 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 03:15:35 AM »
I want to add my Soulsteel Sponsored Magic to the wiki, no objections?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
That's one of the points of a wiki - anyone can add anything.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 03:21:48 AM »
I have the exact opposite of an objection to people adding stuff. Seriously, we could use some help.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 03:51:02 AM »
Yeah; building a wiki with this much material is like that old joke about the black market.  Well Organized, Fast, Fully Compiled: Pick two. 
(click to show/hide)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki