Is a DFRPG Resource Wiki a good idea?

Sounds good.
44 (89.8%)
Why bother?
3 (6.1%)
I need to think on it.
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: DFRPG Resource Wiki  (Read 7922 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
DFRPG Resource Wiki
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:19:44 AM »
I've been watching the Resource threads grow, and it's getting a bit hard to find what you're looking for in there.  So, maybe I'm prejudiced because of how useful a wiki has been for my own DFRPG game, but I've been mulling over the idea of creating a wiki specifically for holding all of this tremendously useful material that being produced on this forum, starting with the Spells, Aspects, Generic NPCs and so forth, as well as the examples, spare character concepts and such.  

So, first, would such a wiki be legal, if it were associated with the board, and only contained the information for the purposes of collation and organization?  

And, second, the poll question, do people think it's a good idea?  Will it be used?  Will it be well integrated into the forum?  And so forth.

Thank you!

EDIT:
And Third, do it on Wikispaces, Wikia or someplace else?  Each one has it's own pros and cons.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:53:14 AM by bibliophile20 »
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Tbora

Re: DFRGP Resource Wiki
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:26:04 AM »
Creative Commons License covers you as far as legality, and what that does not cover, Fair Use of Copyright Law does.

And yes its a good idea.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:31:58 AM »
I agree with everything that Tbora just said.

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:45:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would fit under the "Attribution Non-Commercial" license that Dresden Files Fan-Fiction is under.  We should definitely get something like that going.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:04:48 AM »
Definitely.  One of these would by quite helpful. 

In regards to the platform, I would prefer Wikia, though it doesn't really matter.

Offline Wilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
While I think legally there is nothing against it, might I suggest sending an email or request to EvilHat as to their preferences. Becasue while I agree it could be very useful and I for one would use the heck out of it, getting their blessing on it in the first place could remove potential issues before they begin.
DV Wilder v1.2 YR6 FR1 BK++ RP+++ TH++ WG+ CL++ BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy ++, Molly-]

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Resource Wiki
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
I like Wikia too. And I agree with the garnering of support from the powers that be before starting.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:01:23 PM »
So, it looks like this idea is pretty solidly supported. Who's going to send the message to Evil Hat? I can do it if no-one else wants to.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Go for it.  If you want to throw it in the message, I checked, and DFRPGResources.wikia.com is available.
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 11:37:09 PM »
Go for it.  If you want to throw it in the message, I checked, and DFRPGResources.wikia.com is available.

Better just to go with DFRPG.wikia.com right?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:25:30 AM »
Message sent. Didn't mention the url in it.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
Well, there is also the option of using a "bridge" for SMF, to use the users from the forums to log into a wiki set up on this domain.  Personally, I like that better than using another hosting site entirely. But that's personal preference.

Did find this, right away: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SMF_Auth_Integration
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
Got a response from Evil Hat. Apparently there are already two such wikis, but neither contains much content. We're welcome to add to those or to make our own.

So, do you guys want to use one of these sites?

http://dresdenfilesrpg.wikidot.com/
http://dresdenverse.wikidot.com/

Offline Quazar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Got a response from Evil Hat. Apparently there are already two such wikis, but neither contains much content. We're welcome to add to those or to make our own.

So, do you guys want to use one of these sites?

http://dresdenfilesrpg.wikidot.com/
http://dresdenverse.wikidot.com/

Yeah I saw those.  I'm not a huge fan of wikidot, but it's not nothing.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:43:21 AM »
let's go with the one that actually mentions the RPG in the title; the other could just be about the books in general.  However, not having used Wikidot before, I have to ask: are we better off making a wiki on Wikia?  I know Wikia supports sortable tables and other useful features for lists; does Wikidot?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:49:56 AM by bibliophile20 »

DFRPG Resources Wiki