Author Topic: Wards and Thresholds  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Wards and Thresholds
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
we know that a threshold is needed for a ward but does a better threshold make for a better ward? would using a great +4 reduce the complexity by 4? could i tag the threshold? or is it just a pre-req?

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Wards and Thresholds
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »
In my opinion pre-req. No bonuses what so ever.

That's simply because a strong threshold in its self is a powerful barrier to the supernatural. The warding only builds on top of it.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:53:03 AM »
aye, its the building on top of part that seems like it should do... something...

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:55 AM »
aye, its the building on top of part that seems like it should do... something...

it does. it is still there...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
Yeah, the ward doesn't replace the threshold, it adds onto it.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »
Think of it this way, the threshold rating is the integrity of the foundation of a building. The stronger the threshold, the longer it will last, and the better it will serve. 
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
we know that a threshold is needed for a ward but does a better threshold make for a better ward? would using a great +4 reduce the complexity by 4? could i tag the threshold? or is it just a pre-req?
A threshold is *not* needed for a ward.  Harry's house has no threshold (it's a rental), but does have a ward.  Generally, you need some sort of boundary to anchor a ward to, and that boundary can be something as ephemeral as a circle drawn with salt.  Of course, a threshold would certainly do as a form of boundary.

As to the question about the impact of an existing threshold on putting up a ward ... well, I think that the existence of the threshold would certainly be worthy of some form of declaration, thus boosting the power level of the ward, or making the ward easier.quicker to put in place.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
Quite the opposite. Harry's house does have a threshold. It's commented on numerous times. But it just sucks. Like horribly sucks. :)  Bob comments on it, Thomas does, and I think even Kincaid takes that shot at Harry.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »
A threshold of zero isn't the opposite of no threshold...  :p

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
alrighty so if the better the threshold the longer it lasts and the better is serves, what bump up the the time chart how long it lasts?

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 10:54:13 PM »
alrighty so if the better the threshold the longer it lasts and the better is serves, what bump up the the time chart how long it lasts?
Well, if you go with my Declaration suggestion, you could always use that to give you +2 complexity, allowing you to get two more shifts on the duration chart than you would have gotten otherwise...

But no, there shouldn't be any 'automatic' bonus, in my opinion.

Offline KeeCoyote

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
 what is the most private you will be considered a tresspasser area in any place. The bathroom. so do they have a threshold when occupied? Just a silly thought

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 12:29:45 AM »
Hey if I was a wizard I would totally try to ward my bathroom. You don't want some ninja ghoul sneaking in there and using it. That's a terrible, terrible form of revenge.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 12:53:14 AM »
Hey if I was a wizard I would totally try to ward my bathroom. You don't want some ninja ghoul sneaking in there and using it. That's a terrible, terrible form of revenge.
Hm.  My target is not here.  I shall wait for him ... and my bladder needs relieving in the meantime.  <Flips up the lid, and receives a fireball to the nether regions...>

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 01:41:08 AM »
what is the most private you will be considered a tresspasser area in any place. The bathroom. so do they have a threshold when occupied? Just a silly thought

No.  It specifically notes that private areas of public places (such as hotel rooms) do not have thresholds.