Author Topic: Wards and Thresholds  (Read 5766 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Wards and Thresholds
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
Since you have already stated that you are inside of the threshold (unlike the argument they are having above) even if they were inside the threshold (provided they were not invited in) they would have to deal with the threshold before dealing with the ward (it would act as a block to their actions and limit their powers as mentioned above).

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
I'd say so, yes. If you want to drill to the earth's core, you still have to get through the crust before you can deal with the magma after all.
Since you have already stated that you are inside of the threshold (unlike the argument they are having above) even if they were inside the threshold (provided they were not invited in) they would have to deal with the threshold before dealing with the ward (it would act as a block to their actions and limit their powers as mentioned above).

Those were my thoughts too, I was just checking as it was a question I had which had not yet been argued or answered.

Any chance of getting iago in here to give his thoughts on Wards and Thresholds?  The books is very not clear on the interaction between the two.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »
It doesn't often happen (he's pretty busy to be weighing in on every rules discussion we have here) but if you email him he usually responds fairly quickly.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
I'd say that short of an answer from On High, I'd recommend treating threshold/ward interaction as follows:

1) First off, a threshold is not *necessary* to creating a ward, but it helps.  If you are building a ward onto an existing threshold, then it gives you a great excuse to make a Declaration as part of the ritual prep, thus getting you a nice, free, +2 with little effort.  If it's a powerful threshold (judgement call on the part of the GM), then you might have a good argument for a second Declaration and another free +2.

2) Thresholds and Wards are both different sorts of blocks, and multiple blocks don't stack.  Just use the larger of the two.  This means that if the ward was originally bigger, but got itself beaten down some, the threshold still gives you (and the ward, too) an effective minimum defense.

Note that #1 assumes that the ward is built to match the existing threshold, so in your example of building a small ward inside a larger thresholded area, I'd rule that there was no bonus.  That said, any attack from outside the threshold would still have to get past it, so you'd still get the benefit of #2 for any attacks directed through both.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 11:28:02 PM »
Hmmm.  Can you layer shields?  (Ward inside a Threshhold?)

I don't see why not.  Mind you, I suspect most wizard/practicioners don't bother.  You can anchor you Wards on the existing Threshold, no matter how weak, and get the benefits and bonuses.  Why go to the trouble of setting up a second Ward inside the first, since it will take a great deal more time and trouble for little additional benefit?  After all, anything capable of getting through your primary Threshold/Ward isn't likely to be slowed that much by a second Ward.

That doesn't mean that there wouldn't be times when such a surprise could be handy...

Supernatural beings, and powers, have to get across your Threshold and Ward.  That doesn't prevent them from, say, chucking a cinderblock through your window with Superhuman Strength; it's just most things with such power don't think that way.  (Doesn't prevent a nasty Summoner from ordering them to do so, though.) 
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.