Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 139819 times)

Offline Theodore Rockwell

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #510 on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:52 AM »
are you still taking requests?  I just finished and really like all of these.  I dont think I saw a were gator anywhere, and I could use one to round out my New Orleans game.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 03, 2011, 03:23:50 AM »
I'm still taking requests. I'm always taking requests.

Were-gator will go up after I consult wikipedia and the DFRPG Bestiary for advice.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 03, 2011, 03:42:29 AM »
After some thought, I decided not to go with Hulking Size. It would mess with the Stealth aspect of the gator, which is its big trick.

This guy's human-form stats are up to you.

He also has room for another stunt. A bonus to attacks, grappling, or aquatic stealth would seem appropriate. Or you could go with an unknown catch, since there are people who dislike the one I'm using here.

Weregator (Chest Deep)

High Concept: Weregator
Other Aspects: Semi-Aquatic, Death Roll, Just A Log
Skills:
Great: Fists, Might, Stealth
Good: Endurance, Athletics, Intimidation
Fair: Alertness, Discipline, Survival
Average: Presence, Conviction, Investigation
Powers:
Echoes Of The Beast (Crocodile) [-1] (+1 Stealth while in water)
Beast Change [-1]
Human Form [+1] affecting:
Claws [-1]
Aquatic [-1]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
The Catch (massive trauma) [+1]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 03, 2011, 05:42:28 AM »
I vote for this stunt:

Fear the Death Roll: +2 to grapples whilst underwater.  inflict an ( as in 1; singular) additional stress if said grapple has been applied by your maw.

I just noticed that aspect... um...they'd be sick if stacked... maybe my idea isn't so good...sorry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 03, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »
Looks like a good idea. I wouldn't worry too much about the aspect stacking with the stunt, personally, because the aspect is just an excuse for FP spending.

Though I think the stunt might be a little too powerful as-is. Maybe something like:

Death Roll (Might): While underwater in beast form, you get a +1 bonus to maintain grapples and inflict 1 extra stress when using a supplemental action to inflict stress in a grapple.

That's basically two stunts rolled together and given some extra restrictions.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

DARKSEID

High Concept: Lord of Apokolips
Other Aspects:  Dimensional Tyrant, A God Am I, Evil Beyond Measure, And The Skies Shall Rain Fire, Obsessed With The Secrets Of The Universe
Skills:
+8 Conviction, Intimidate, Resources
+7 Endurance, Might, Weapons
+6 Athletics, Discipline, Alertness
+5 Lore, Presence, Scholarship, Deceit
+4 Empathy, Rapport, Contacts, Guns
All other skills default to Good
Powers/Stunts:
[-8] Titanic Strength (+8 attack stress, +4 grapple, +6 grapple stress, +20 lifting/breaking)
[-6] Omega Beams - damage as per thrown weapon with base w4, unlimited range and True Aim
[-6] Homing - Darkseid's Omega Beams can bend in any direction, around barriers and follow targets around. As long as there is an unblocked path between Darkseid and the victim, however twisted, unlikely or indirect, the Omega Beams ignore intervening barriers. In addition, if the Omega Beams miss and Darkseid maintains line of sight, he can spend a supplemental action every round to have them attack again and again until they hit. Darkseid may direct up to 3 beams at any given round, including that round's normal attack in that total.
[-2] Unstoppable - Darkseid's Omega Beams treat toughness powers as one grade lower; immunity to mythic, mythic to supernatural, supernatural to inhuman and inhuman is ignored. This does mean they can harm otherwise invulnerable targets normally.
[-4] Omega Sanction - a character taken out by the Omega Beams is normally obliterated. However, Darkseid may select any other takeout effect in keeping with his nature - such as banishing targets to prison planets or nightmare dimensions, warping them, casting them to a lifeless void and so on.
[-1] Reversible - Darkseid may reverse any previous effects of the Omega Beams, including the normally lethal ones such as annihilation, regardless of the current location or status of the victim.
[-2] Omega Blast - Darkseid can hit a zone without penalties with his Omega Beams but loses the Homing Effect.
       For every -2 penalty to attack, he can hit an additional zone.
[-1] Swing for the Fences
[-6] Mythic Stoicism - as per Mythic Toughness, but for mental effects.
[-6] Mythic Toughness (unknown catch)
[-8] Physical Immunity
[+1] Stacked catch: extra toughness. Darkseid has 8 more stress boxes and 4 more armor rather than true immunity.
[-6] Mythic Resilience: +3 to all defense rolls.
[-3] Senses - Darkeid can see anywhere in his Domain if he so desires. He can also project an astral presence of himself to perceive distant places beyond his domain as if standing there - even to other planets or dimensions.
[-1] Domain: Apokolips
[-1] Power of Tyranny - may use Intimidate to inspire or guide followers instead of Presence
[-2] Overpowering Will - may use Conviction instead of Rapport to persuade others. Darkseid gets a +2 bonus to such rolls.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
DARKSEID

High Concept: Lord of Apokolips
Other Aspects:  Dimensional Tyrant, A God Am I, Evil Beyond Measure, And The Skies Shall Rain Fire, Obsessed With The Secrets Of The Universe
Skills:
+8 Conviction, Intimidate, Resources
+7 Endurance, Might, Weapons
+6 Athletics, Discipline, Alertness
+5 Lore, Presence, Scholarship, Deceit
+4 Empathy, Rapport, Contacts, Guns
All other skills default to Good
Powers/Stunts:
[-8] Titanic Strength (+8 attack stress, +4 grapple, +6 grapple stress, +20 lifting/breaking)
[-6] Omega Beams - damage as per thrown weapon with base w4, unlimited range and True Aim
[-6] Homing - Darkseid's Omega Beams can bend in any direction, around barriers and follow targets around. As long as there is an unblocked path between Darkseid and the victim, however twisted, unlikely or indirect, the Omega Beams ignore intervening barriers. In addition, if the Omega Beams miss and Darkseid maintains line of sight, he can spend a supplemental action every round to have them attack again and again until they hit. Darkseid may direct up to 3 beams at any given round, including that round's normal attack in that total.
[-2] Unstoppable - Darkseid's Omega Beams treat toughness powers as one grade lower; immunity to mythic, mythic to supernatural, supernatural to inhuman and inhuman is ignored. This does mean they can harm otherwise invulnerable targets normally.
[-4] Omega Sanction - a character taken out by the Omega Beams is normally obliterated. However, Darkseid may select any other takeout effect in keeping with his nature - such as banishing targets to prison planets or nightmare dimensions, warping them, casting them to a lifeless void and so on.
[-1] Reversible - Darkseid may reverse any previous effects of the Omega Beams, including the normally lethal ones such as annihilation, regardless of the current location or status of the victim.
[-2] Omega Blast - Darkseid can hit a zone without penalties with his Omega Beams but loses the Homing Effect.
       For every -2 penalty to attack, he can hit an additional zone.
[-1] Swing for the Fences
[-6] Mythic Stoicism - as per Mythic Toughness, but for mental effects.
[-6] Mythic Toughness (unknown catch)
[-8] Physical Immunity
[+1] Stacked catch: extra toughness. Darkseid has 8 more stress boxes and 4 more armor rather than true immunity.
[-6] Mythic Resilience: +3 to all defense rolls.
[-3] Senses - Darkeid can see anywhere in his Domain if he so desires. He can also project an astral presence of himself to perceive distant places beyond his domain as if standing there - even to other planets or dimensions.
[-1] Domain: Apokolips
[-1] Power of Tyranny - may use Intimidate to inspire or guide followers instead of Presence
[-2] Overpowering Will - may use Conviction instead of Rapport to persuade others. Darkseid gets a +2 bonus to such rolls.

Probably accurate, or as close as you can get with this sytem.
(click to show/hide)

So... it might be giving him too much credit.  Or both those cases could be a case of narrative might via author granting the ability to win to anyone so long as they are written to win.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 08, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
It should be noted that while I gave Darkseid 62 refresh in powers and Superman only 41, they both have a refresh level of 42 and their offensive skills are at similar levels. Darkseid always wins in his initial fights with Superman, after all. However, Kal-El racks up lots of fate points over the course of such stories so when it's the time to face Darkseid again, he has 20-something of them (comics stories have a crapload of complications), making up the refresh difference long enough to narrowly beat him.
Also, Superman is powerful enough to never use Fate Points with lesser opponents in his stories or risk killing them. When the time comes to face huge threats, he gives the World-Of-Cardboard speech and then he does use the crapload of FPs he's gathered to "unleash his full power".

As for Batman, is anyone surprised that he did have a bullet satisfying Darkseid's catch?  ::)

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 08, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »
Belial it is nice to have you back. The boards just aren't as exciting without the prospect of coming across one of your jaw dropping writeups.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:30 PM »
Thanks, guys. One of the reasons I do those writeups in the first place is so others can see them. After all, I won't get to play them in a game. Not unless it is some kind of god game or something.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
What polka said.

I do a lot of character-making, and like most things making characters is more fun when one isn't doing it alone.

Just two nitpicks:

1. Omega Sanction seems overpriced. It's useful, but I don't think it's 4 refresh of useful.
2. Is Domain the same as Demesne?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
It should be noted that while I gave Darkseid 62 refresh in powers and Superman only 41, they both have a refresh level of 42 and their offensive skills are at similar levels. Darkseid always wins in his initial fights with Superman, after all. However, Kal-El racks up lots of fate points over the course of such stories so when it's the time to face Darkseid again, he has 20-something of them (comics stories have a crapload of complications), making up the refresh difference long enough to narrowly beat him.
Also, Superman is powerful enough to never use Fate Points with lesser opponents in his stories or risk killing them. When the time comes to face huge threats, he gives the World-Of-Cardboard speech and then he does use the crapload of FPs he's gathered to "unleash his full power".

As for Batman, is anyone surprised that he did have a bullet satisfying Darkseid's catch?  ::)

Fair enough.

As for batman.  He is the godammed batman afterall.  Who else could/would have had the catch.  A good read explaining how batman always has the catch on hand is the story JLA: Tower of Babel.   Seriously, everyone read this.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:45 PM »
1) Omega Sanction is fairly useful. Not only it can be used offensively to cause effects other than damage but it also has utility. I.e. Darkseid uses it on some minion he wants to teleport where it would be useful rather than kill an enemy - even target himself, not bother rolling defense, and not take consequences so he is "taken out" and teleported where he wants to go. So I priced as -1 refresh for extra effect type (as per the "extra emotion" upgrade) plus another -3 for an improved version of Worldwalker.

2) Domain gives the same benefit as Demense. However, it is natural, not supernatural. I.e. Darkseid doesn't control reality on Apokolips. But he can order just about anything built and he's had countless millennia to plan and build for almost any contingency

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 09, 2011, 02:21:58 AM »
1. I guess it might even be a bit underpriced, then.

You may want to make that function clear. The writeup makes it look like all possible effects of being taken out are awful. I totally missed the travel utility.

2. Sounds cool.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2011, 02:50:57 AM »
A request, but would someone be willing to stat up Paul Atreides?