Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 139750 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »
also it fine that u stay out of the debate but you could at least acknowledge that the Almighty stats are kinda funny ;D

What's the debate about?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2011, 01:25:27 PM »
how the supernatural heavyweight i created isn't better than mab or some of the other heavyweights but he is except the almighty of course.  the reason is because first he has a F#@king lot of refresh but his skills are also really high so mab and the others would have to pass and him to fail for them to beat his skill
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2011, 02:38:08 PM »
Zaczane, I don't think you understand the general tone in response to some of your posts.

This isn't about which plot device is better.  It's about the lack of any need to stat out a plot device - because they're pretty much un-stattable.  Plus, you don't need stats because you can make them do whatever you want.

Does this make sense?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »
This isn't about which plot device is better.  It's about the lack of any need to stat out a plot device - because they're pretty much un-stattable.

Exactly. DFRPG isn't a simulation-based combat game (much to the disappointment of some). I mean, it's easy enough to cobble together a pile of Powers and see what sort of a cinematic conflict one can create, and that can be fun for awhile, but the real meat of the FATE system is in the stories you create. Powers are - when you break it down - simply a set of prescribed methods for affecting the story.

Making NPCs with ALL the Powers isn't a challenge. Making the PCs cringe whenever they hear his name or his voice is the real objective. And you don't simply do that by mopping the floor with them in a stand-up conflict. You get that by mopping the floor with their hopes and dreams. For just 15 Refresh you can build an overpowered Warlock who can do as much damage as this guy, run roughshod over all the PCs' lives, exploit and ruin all of their meaningful relationships, and generally make the game a real challenge for them. He may not be able to automatically bend the Outer Gates open, but he could try, and try his darnedest to feed the PCs to his Old One Masters. And the PCs will fight him over it, and hopefully win.

The GM's ability to make a bigger badass has never been in question. It's what the GM can do with that badass that matters.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Exactly. DFRPG isn't a simulation-based combat game (much to the disappointment of some). I mean, it's easy enough to cobble together a pile of Powers and see what sort of a cinematic conflict one can create, and that can be fun for awhile, but the real meat of the FATE system is in the stories you create. Powers are - when you break it down - simply a set of prescribed methods for affecting the story.

Making NPCs with ALL the Powers isn't a challenge. Making the PCs cringe whenever they hear his name or his voice is the real objective. And you don't simply do that by mopping the floor with them in a stand-up conflict. You get that by mopping the floor with their hopes and dreams. For just 15 Refresh you can build an overpowered Warlock who can do as much damage as this guy, run roughshod over all the PCs' lives, exploit and ruin all of their meaningful relationships, and generally make the game a real challenge for them. He may not be able to automatically bend the Outer Gates open, but he could try, and try his darnedest to feed the PCs to his Old One Masters. And the PCs will fight him over it, and hopefully win.

The GM's ability to make a bigger badass has never been in question. It's what the GM can do with that badass that matters.

Well said.

It isn't about winning or crushing the PC's, that's easy.  GM's/players with that mentality I tend to avoid or openly, publicly,and personally mock...just not on forums where I can get banned and stuff.

There are some systems where stacking and munchkining is rewarded and to some extent, it is true with any system this one included.  Though the stories are far more important, otherwise this setting wouldn't be nearly as ideal as some others.  People obviously like the fictional world.

EDIT: Thread derailed much?

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 03, 2011, 01:42:43 AM »
Zaczane, I don't think you understand the general tone in response to some of your posts.

This isn't about which plot device is better.  It's about the lack of any need to stat out a plot device - because they're pretty much un-stattable.  Plus, you don't need stats because you can make them do whatever you want.

Does this make sense?

k bud thanks for trying to make me feel stupid but i'm not.  i purly made this NPC/plot device is because i wanted to.  the other thing is that he is like the joker in dc comic's batman stories.  he never directly fights batman unless absolutely necessary and even though there have been multiple time he could kill batman he doesn't cause he loves to see the world F@#king burn.
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 03, 2011, 01:46:28 AM »

i understand how to GM i'm not a total noob here guys maybe to this forum but not Gaming.  of corse i could do that with a 15 refresh character but its more fun to have a base from which you conflict comes from. then i can establish enemies from him and

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 03, 2011, 01:47:40 AM »
k ive said my part now i don't care what you have to say i declar debate over my character over just get the thread back on track

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 03, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
k ive said my part now i don't care what you have to say i declar debate over my character over just get the thread back on track

These post are extremely annoying and hard to read.

I say that with love.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
Requests for: Sanctaphrax
New York city firefighter
 LAPD police
 armchair general (miniature gamer obsessed with tactics and history)
 army special forces operative
 MI6 agent (james bond rip off)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 03, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
Requests noted.

Some have already been fulfilled.

MI6 Agent: Spy stats can be found in reply #277, reply #276, and reply #201.
Army Special Forces Operative: Special Forces soldier stats can be found in reply #5.
LAPD police: Stats for various types of cop can be found in reply #278, reply #221, reply #196, reply #91, and reply #227.

I don't have any firefighters or armchair generals, though. I'll get to them as soon as you tell me what makes New York firefighters different from other firefighters.

Also, please tell me if what I have already isn't what you're looking for.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 03, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
Requests noted.

Some have already been fulfilled.

MI6 Agent: Spy stats can be found in reply #277, reply #276, and reply #201.
Army Special Forces Operative: Special Forces soldier stats can be found in reply #5.
LAPD police: Stats for various types of cop can be found in reply #278, reply #221, reply #196, reply #91, and reply #227.

I don't have any firefighters or armchair generals, though. I'll get to them as soon as you tell me what makes New York firefighters different from other firefighters.

Also, please tell me if what I have already isn't what you're looking for.

Ah good call.  My bad.  As for new york, I was simply working with many people know as the most famous version.

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 04, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »
dude i found a thing that might not even work in the dresdeverse even though the saying is "If you can think of it there is at least an explaination for it in the RPG or books of dresdeverse". well heres something thats not a wizard who controls and manipulate TECHNOLOGY to his own gain.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:24 AM »
Can't help you there, I'm afraid. The mechanics of the canon setting are not exactly my specialty. I recommend taking a look at the custom power thread, which might have something helpful for such a character.

In any case, this isn't really the place for that discussion. A new thread would probably be a good idea.

The following writeup is based entirely upon my incomplete understanding of firefighting.

Firefighter (On the Beach)

High Concept: Firefighter
Other Aspects: The Real Heroes, Dangerous Job
Skills:
Good: Endurance
Fair: Might, Scholarship, Weapons, Athletics
Average: Alertness, Driving, Conviction, Investigation
Stunts:
Toughness Of Mind And Body (Endurance): Use Endurance to defend against fear.
Fireproof (Endurance): Armour 2 against fire.
First Aid (Scholarship): +2 to apply emergency medical aid.
Fire Truck (Driving): +2 to drive a fire truck.
I Know My Job (Alertness): +2 to assessments and declarations related to his job.
Total Refresh Cost:
-3 (Pure Mortal)
Refresh Total:

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 04, 2011, 02:48:52 AM »
ok i hav a good one for you or at least half of one
what could i put for aspects possibly other things to if there is any ideas for a Loup garou that can actually change when he chooses.  other than getting rid of the unwanted change power