Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 51084 times)

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2011, 03:27:28 AM »
I can admit when I'm wrong, despite, being a gamer, and stubborn.

Take it back! You'll have us thinking people on the Internet aren't all /b/tards if you go being all rational.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2011, 04:14:06 AM »
Yeah, what The Mighty Buzzard said.

Anyway, I was thinking that the weapon rating of the attack could depend on the minion quality. Normal unarmed guys are weapon 0, trained soldiers with guns are weapon 3, a team of Uber-Ghouls is weapon 6.

Lots of new stunts, yay!

It's nice to see that I'm not working alone.

Will provide more detailed feedback soon.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
Take it back! You'll have us thinking people on the Internet aren't all /b/tards if you go being all rational.

Best. Post. Ever.

Aside from that I like a lot of the new stunts.  Some may have already been added to the list with a different name though.
Focused Strike: I think I like, but it sounds clunky.  Taking aim in melee combat sounds rough - interesting though.

New One:
Unorthodox Fighting: (weapons or fists) People with formal training are less able to defend against your tom foolery in combat.  Gain a +1 so (skill) against opponents who learned strictly to adhere to styles or formal training.

Give as Good as I Get: (this stunt is likely over powered, but it sounded good on paper) In close combat only, by spending a Fate point and only once per scene; (weapons or fists) sacrifice your defense skill (roll at mediocre) to force your opponent to do the same (essentially attacking at the same time).

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »
Rework of the much maligned "parry everything".

Footwork: Extensive training with melee weapons has taught you how to move your body to attack and defend. With skilled footwork you can parry or avoid anything your opponents throw at you. Use Weapons to defend against anything that athletics can.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2011, 01:53:17 AM »
Footwork is indeed better than Parry Everything. Thanks, polka.

But it seem as though it ought to work unarmed. Which it shouldn't. Ideas on how to fix that?

Talking With X stunts look fine. Will add them if they aren't already on the list.

Muscle Brained is too much of a stretch as written. But I think I might be able to hammer it into something reasonable.

Unorthodox Fighting looks good.

Give As Good As I Get should probably be rewritten as a mixture of Swing For The Fences, Riposte, and Killer Blow. But it could work.

Magus Black's Alertness set looks good, although I think some of it might be redundant.

I Lupin! is pretty good, although I'd like it better if it either was linked to a specific aspect or was not linked to invocations at all.

Silent Tank would be very good if it were unambiguously clear that armour inflicts a Stealth penalty. But it isn't clear. I guess it's a reasonable assumption though.

I don't think that Focused Strike does anything. You can already maneuver for aim-based aspects with Weapons.

I think that Old School Archer is already on the list under the name "Bows Are Weapons".

Legendary Archer looks fine to me.

The mirror charms are kinda weird in that they inflict penalties. Bonuses are normally the way to go in this game. Why penalties in this case?

Also, Reflection Shatters The Mirror should probably only give 1 shift of effect. It boosts attacks, after all.

Two-Handed Training has the same problems as Off-Hand Weapon Training. I think it might be better as a standard +2 stress bonus.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:49 AM »
Footwork is indeed better than Parry Everything. Thanks, polka.

But it seem as though it ought to work unarmed. Which it shouldn't. Ideas on how to fix that?

Maybe you could add some flavor text about how your balance is thrown off without the weight of your weapon in your hand.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2011, 02:23:27 AM »
Sounds good.

I mean, it's an obvious attempt to nerf the stunt. But when you're nerfing something, you might as well be obvious about it.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2011, 03:12:02 AM »
Not really a nerf.  Just making it work as intended.  BTW pretty sure Fists has a stunt by the same name that does the same thing...so you don't really have to nerf it.  Just include that the skill must be chosen each time hte stunt is taken.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Is there a similar thread to this for Powers? And is someone as coordinated as Sanctaphrax doing the upkeep?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
There is no one as coordinated as Sanctaphrax.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »
There is no one as coordinated as Sanctaphrax.

Also there is a powers list like this.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 15, 2011, 02:25:56 AM »
Aw, thanks.

Anyway, there is a powers list like this.

It's being made by someone exactly as coordinated as me: me.

But it's still a work in progress.

I've collected pretty much every custom power from the board (except for recently made ones), but I'm only about 1/4 done editing them.

Haven't been doing much with that list lately, actually. I had some computer trouble and by the time that was sorted I was in the middle of other stuff.

Will get back to it once I've updated this list and written up a new version of Spirit Form.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25794.0.html

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2011, 12:19:15 AM »
I Lupin! is pretty good, although I'd like it better if it either was linked to a specific aspect or was not linked to invocations at all.

Is that because it its too weak or too strong?

I don't think that Focused Strike does anything. You can already maneuver for aim-based aspects with Weapons.

Oh you can? Then its got no use unless we make it grants an extra +2 to the maneuver. Otherwise scrap it.

I think that Old School Archer is already on the list under the name "Bows Are Weapons".

But that version doesn’t allow crossbows, *sad panda* why does every hate crossbows.

The mirror charms are kinda weird in that they inflict penalties. Bonuses are normally the way to go in this game. Why penalties in this case?

Well we’ve seen some stunts in “Our World” that use penalties to apply to the player for greater benefits, so I didn’t think that making stunts that penalize your opponents would be to far of a stretch. Plus, unfortunately for mortals, “Mortal Stunts” don’t normally stack (unlike their much more powerful big brother Powers) so the mortals need to find ways around that problem, in this case a negative modifier to an enemy effectively stacks with any positive modifiers you have…and Pure Mortals need all the help they can get to stay relevant against supernatural threats (especially at high Refresh).

Also, Reflection Shatters The Mirror should probably only give 1 shift of effect. It boosts attacks, after all.

Technically it penalizes their defense rolls, not boosts your attack roll. But I did wonder a bit on whether if -1 or -2 was more appropriate since it is more dependant on the Game Master than other stunts due to the fact that the opponent needs to use a similar weapon as the character. Plus the penalty vanishes if drop the ’mirror weapon’ and pick up another one (or goes at you without one), making it easy to get rid of. Use which you think is more appropriate.

Two-Handed Training has the same problems as Off-Hand Weapon Training. I think it might be better as a standard +2 stress bonus

If one exists so must others. Also, unless I’m reading it wrong, things like Off-Hand Training are among the few stunts that stack with other Mortal Stunts that do the same thing in different ways since the bonus is determined by other factors and not simply a +1 or +2 (which would not stack). At least that’s how I read it, if wrong than being a Pure Mortal almost unplayable at mid-Refresh levels.
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
Crossbows are likely already handled under guns or bows.  I think it's just assumed.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2011, 05:53:22 AM »
Ah, so you have an agenda! You want to enable further stunt-stacking!

I don't like your approach to this, I'm afraid. If you want stunts to stack, make 'em stack. Don't sneak around and try to find loopholes.

The rules are written as they are for a reason. Ignoring their spirit while following their letter is not good.

The ceiling on mortal power is lower. But it isn't actually low. I'd say the problems start around...15 refresh or so.

Mortals remain totally viable without stunt stacking at all canon power levels, I think. I haven't actually tested this, but I'm pretty sure that a combat-focused mortal will kill a combat-focused wizard in 1 vs 1 duel in a white room at Chest Deep level almost every time.

It's not really necessary to have the highest numbers, as long as you have more FP.

Bows Are Weapons works for crossbows. Will make that clearer.

I Lupin! is neither too weak nor too strong. It's just a bit weird.

As long as an opponent will have the same weapon as you sometimes, whether the GM or the player controls it really does not matter. Besides, you can always carry a bunch of different weapons.