Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 51858 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2011, 04:09:38 AM »
I think we already have Scholarship social stunts. If not, I'll add some.

And watch what you say about statistics. It happens to be my field of study.

The mechanical effects of Parry Everything are fine. The description, however, implies physically impossible things. So it needs to change.

I wasn't sure about whether Fireproof should have been armour 1 or 2. That one was a toss-up.

I kinda like Minions, Attack! but it doesn't work very well if the minions are fully statted characters. If they're background fluff, then it's fine. I guess I could rewrite it so that the minions are treated as equipment rather than characters. Actually, I think I'll do that. I'd like to have some more stunt trees on the list.

But first: why would you not allow it, Silverblaze? I'm willing to be convinced here.

PS: Are you speaking from personal experience, Belial?

I sort of feel it would be like letting a mainly mental character attack people with just discipline or conviction if a stunt is taken.(MIND BULLETS!)  Making Combat skills useless, or far less useful.  It is better to play a far more interesint socialite or scholar and kill people with social or mental prowess. (Yes I know the powers that add to physical powers do not apply to social or mental skills, but it still seems to be making combat skills (or playing a well rounded character for that matter)

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2011, 04:34:41 AM »
I sort of feel it would be like letting a mainly mental character attack people with just discipline or conviction if a stunt is taken.(MIND BULLETS!)  Making Combat skills useless, or far less useful.  It is better to play a far more interesint socialite or scholar and kill people with social or mental prowess. (Yes I know the powers that add to physical powers do not apply to social or mental skills, but it still seems to be making combat skills (or playing a well rounded character for that matter)

Yeah, it may be a bit of a stretch but it's funny.  Personally, I don't see a problem with allowing limited mental and social additions to combat situations.  A good leader can make a world of difference in a battle, social.  The military has plenty of people dedicated to psy-ops, mental.

So, maneuvers, sure.  We've got thousands of years of actual, non-fiction history to back up either.  I'd put a limit on it though because there's only so much mental or social interaction combatants brains can process while trying to keep themselves inside their skulls, beyond that it'll just be noise.

Actually inflicting stress?  Nah, unless there's a lull in the combat nobody cares enough about what's being said to put stress on anyone directly with words.  Someone trying to kill you is way more stressful than just about anything that can be said.  Consequences, maybe.  They could show up after the fight but I can't buy inflicting social or mental consequences in combat without an extremely compelling, situational argument.  Supernatural powers aside of course.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
I think the Minions, Attack! stunt may be being misinterpreted; the person with the stunt isn't causing damage with words; he telling his minions who to shoot, and they're the ones that cause the damage.  It is simply being modeled as an attack with presence.  With the prerequisite stunts, this ability would cost three refresh, which should prevent social-heavy characters from taking it "just to optimize." Furthermore, while you it would let you attack with Presence, you wouldn't be able to defend with it, meaning that pure-social characters would still have a rough time in a fight.  As a final note, this ability could be easily counteracted by killing enough of the (presumably low-powered) minions.  I think there are enough balances on it that it could be used fairly.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 12, 2011, 05:23:29 AM »
Still uses a social skill for combat yes?

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:30 AM »
Pretty valid use though.  Consider Minions Attack vs invoking a -1 Presence or Intimidation stunt to do an extremely valid, even in combat, social maneuver on your minions.

With a Supreme +5 Presence, that's a max of 11 points of stress with Minions Attack, assuming a low end of weapon 2.  Using a maneuver to put Inspired, Enraged, or More Afraid of the Boss Than the Players (which could have just as easily been done right before combat) would guarantee you +2 off the tag and another +2 on every FP a minion dropped to Invoke.  And that's if you only use them for the +2 on attacks; invoked even remotely creatively, they could be a heck of a lot more effective than that.

One-on-one, I'm inclined to agree that most social skills don't have much place in combat but when commanding groups, they absolutely do.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
Don't forget Intimidation even in the book they admit that it has a place in physical combat where it can do social and mental stress.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:44:23 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »
If people like it that's cool.  I think this comes down to my one problem with the system.  I also think my opinion on the system has little place in this thread.  I'll agree I can see how social and mentals skills can be used in combat.  I don't like them causing direct stress essentially replacing combat skills.

I decided to include my opinion  on the system in a spoiler tag so those who don't care can skip it. 

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
I can sympathize with Silverblaze's viewpoint, but I think he or she is taking it too far.

There is no need for worry about someone using this to optimize, given that there will almost always always be better options.

And that Discipline stunt example is probably less useful than a point of Refinement.

So, yeah, I'll add this.

PS: The character relying on this will be vastly worse at combat than a combat monkey. Like, it won't even be close. Or even close to close.
PPS: It takes quite a few stunts to substitute one skill fully for another. Enough that the guy with one or two catch-all skills is actually not spending his Refresh very well.
PPPS: Discipline is possibly the best combat skill in the game.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
I know the combat monkey will be better, but his combat skill doesn't help him in social situations or mental acuity.  Adding an attack trapping to a mental or social skill is generally more useful in more circumstances.  Not necessarily more powerful, just more versatile.  That's in truth my issue.

I'm convinced it won't break the game.  I never really thought it would.  I just didn't care for it.  There's lots I don't care for.  It isn't a bad stunt.  I just don't like it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
But you not liking it seems to be founded upon concerns of game balance.

Am I wrong in that?

PS: Would you allow a stunt letting you threaten someone with a gun with Guns?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
Yes, yes I would.  Sounds hypocritical I know, but I feel in general combat skills were created to be limited in scope because they were useful in combat.  There are only 4 attack skills . (discipline, guns, weapons, fists...athletics sorta)

Game balance isn't my issue, it's making the few combat skills less useful, by letting any skill (any at all) cause stress/consequences.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
After some thought I realized the following.  I'm used to systems where combat is combat and social/mental are in their own category...helping in combat, but not directly.  That is my flaw not the stunt.

I have issue with the system, not the stunt.  By system, the stunt is fine.  It is actually quite clever.  Well done. 

I can admit when I'm wrong, despite, being a gamer, and stubborn.  That said, I did find some questions about it.

If all the minions have inhuman strength or big weapons or...both does the inhuman strength add?  Since the minion is doing damage not the presence?  If the weaker minions die does the attack strength of the presence roll go up?

I still see some abuse for a WCV with good speed and toughness being a mean opponent without needing actualy combat skills, but i suppose that's the system at work...not the stunt.

I maintain my opinions, but I'll say I was wrong, mostly...

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2011, 11:11:07 PM »
Might
Muscle-brained: Your concentration on all things physical has left you numb between the ears. Good for you that numb things don't feel much pain! Use Might instead of Conviction to determine mental Stress.

(Utterly ridiculous, I know, but just look at Schwartzenegger's early career...)

I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2011, 11:42:22 PM »
Talking with Fists (Fists) You can use your fist skill for the threats trapping of intimidate.
Talking with Swords (weapons) You can use your weapons skill for the threats trapping of intimidate.
Talking with Guns (Guns) You can use your Gun skill for the threats trapping of intimidate.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2011, 02:56:06 AM »
Alertness
Notice Tell: You  may use Alertness to defend against Deceit.
Master of the Tell: When defending against Deceit’s “Falsehood &Deception” with “Notice Tell” you get a +2 to social defense.
Primitive Tracker: You may use the Survival skill’s “Tracking” trapping with Alertness.
Inspector: You may use the Investigation skill’s “Examination” trapping with Alertness.
Notice the Unseen: +3 to “Passive  Alertness” to notice things either invisible or veiled.

Weapons
Mirror Stance:
When defending with the weapon skill, if the attacker is attacking with the same type of weapon (knife, sword, club, etc.) as the you they suffer a -2 to their attack roll.
Reflection Shatters the Mirror: When attacking with the weapon skill, if the defender is attacking with  the same type of weapon (knife, sword, club, etc.) as the you they suffer a -2 to their defense roll.
Two-Handed Training: When using a melee weapon in both hands add half (rounded up) to the weapons damage total. (EX: A Weapon 2 becomes Weapon 3 and Weapon 3 becomes Weapon 5)
Old School Archer: You may use Weapons instead of Guns to attack with bows and crossbows.
Legendary Archer: When using a bow or crossbow with “Old School Archer” you can attack up to an additional 2 zones away.
Focused Strike: You can use the “Aiming” trapping with the Weapon skill for all weapons.

Stealth
Silent Tank:
When wearing armor you suffer no penalty to stealth rolls and your armor cannot be tagged to alert others to your presence.

Burglary
I Lupin!: When spending a fate point to increase the results of any Burglary roll the bonus provided increases to +4.
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."