Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243387 times)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #375 on: December 14, 2009, 03:08:22 AM »
Jim has said it's Mar-cone.

ah. thanks. :D
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »
Jim has said it's Mar-cone.

I noticed that Spike says in Mar-cone in some audiobooks, Mar-con-e in others.  :-\ (but he still does a great job, of course! I wonder if authors get to give a pronunciation guide to actors doing the readings...) I personally assumed it was Mar-cone, to rhyme with (Al) Cap-one. I figured when you write about a Mafia boss in Chicago, you have to be referencing Al Capone, to some extent.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 14, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
Marcone bears no resemblance whatsoever to Capone - Capone was a thug, an emotional child and generally over the top, none of which even come close to describing Marcone.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2009, 07:58:36 AM »
I noticed that Spike says in Mar-cone in some audiobooks, Mar-con-e in others.  :-\ (but he still does a great job, of course! I wonder if authors get to give a pronunciation guide to actors doing the readings...)
I doubt it, considering the all pronunciations problems in the Codex audiobooks.  Some of it can be explained away as a British voice actor, but the rest is just way off  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
When I read it, I was between Mar-cone and Mar-con-e - but I weirdly settled with Mar-con-e...

Hm, James Masters... I weirdly like Paul Blackthorne better as Harry - the tv show's fault - but... Hm. James... James.. I listened to the audio book - a part of it, anyway, but it's still Paul in my head, lol...
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »
I think I'm in the minority but the little I've heard of James Marsters, the less I like him voice actor wise. Mostly why I don't have the audio books yet. I heard a tad of the books online as a sample and was not impressed. I would prefer that Paul Blackthorne had read them or maybe even the guy that does Angel. I like his voice better. JM's voice just annoys the heck out of me maybe cause I didn't like him as Spike and he's not what I would call my favorite actor. *shrugs* But everyone has their own preferences.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »
I think I'm in the minority but the little I've heard of James Marsters, the less I like him voice actor wise. Mostly why I don't have the audio books yet. I heard a tad of the books online as a sample and was not impressed. I would prefer that Paul Blackthorne had read them or maybe even the guy that does Angel. I like his voice better. JM's voice just annoys the heck out of me maybe cause I didn't like him as Spike and he's not what I would call my favorite actor. *shrugs* But everyone has their own preferences.

I liked him as Spike. xD

Yeah. I like Paul Blackthorne's American accent. he did okay in the tv shows - so whenever I read DF, I always hear his voice in my head. I listened to samples, yeah, and I'm not fond of James's American accent.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
You're not alone, j3nnee. While I don't dislike Marsters per se, the bits I've heard were freaking soporific. And I'm also in the minority in that the only Whedon I like is Firefly and Dr. Horrible - Buffy and Angel, not so much.

What you folks should REALLY hear is Jim himself reading the books. He's good enough at public speaking to do well to begin with, and he knows how everything is SUPPOSED to sound. Plus, his voicing of Bob is freaking PRICELESS.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »

What you folks should REALLY hear is Jim himself reading the books. He's good enough at public speaking to do well to begin with, and he knows how everything is SUPPOSED to sound. Plus, his voicing of Bob is freaking PRICELESS.
[/quote]

Would love to hear that! Most authors that I've heard do a wretched job of reading - I think Douglas Adams (rest in peace :( ) was the only good one I've heard to date. I did really love the character of Bob in the tv show - while it was a definite change, I don't think a talking skull would be a great idea for a tv show.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 15, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »
Its not as bad as you might think.  I had heard them before, but when I found out it was spike doing the reading I thought I would only be able to picture buffy characters for the rest of the books.  But it draws you in surprisingly well.  My only beef with them isnt really him so much as the production itself.  He speaks rather softly when reading the internal and descriptive stuff (which ill admit can induce some lethargy in the way any deep, soft male voice does), to the point where I have to turn up the volume to static levels.  But its when Harry is shouting Fuego at the top of his lungs, so does Marsters, and it will nearly blow out my speakers.  But thats not the voice actor, thats post-production.  Where's the level balance?   >:(

OK, rant complete.  I feel better.  To be fair, it may just be my copy (its SK) thats not refined, since at one point Marsters also screws up a line, drops the f-bomb, and then backs up and does it over.  Weird huh?.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2009, 03:30:56 PM »

OK, rant complete.  I feel better.  To be fair, it may just be my copy (its SK) thats not refined, since at one point Marsters also screws up a line, drops the f-bomb, and then backs up and does it over.  Weird huh?.

HAH. I wanna hear that. xD

Offline Stitch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 16, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
Quantus, if you contact Buzzy Multimedia they'll replace your Summer Knight with a blooper free version. It was released by mistake.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Offline Mamatiger

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 05, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »
My job keeps me behind the wheel for 600+mi a day, and I listen to audiobooks to make the miles go faster. In mid-November, I was browsing Barnes & Noble's looking for something new and came across Storm Front. Long story short, a month and a half later I've listened to all 10 that I could find on audio, paperbacks of BR and DB (the two I couldn't find) were waiting on me when I got home Friday night, I finished BR Sunday morning, and am on ch. 8 of DB. After that, I get to jones until April with the rest of you  ;D

I didn't even know about the TV show until I was doing some research into why the audiobook price doubled between SK and DM. I still haven't had a chance to watch more than 15 or 20min of the pilot on Hulu, enough to notice 2 glaring inconsistencies-Bob takes human form, and Harry drives a Jeep.  ::)
Lara: "You would look marvelous in white silk..."
Harry: "...Said the spider to the fly."

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 05, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I had forgotten about the jeep! Now that is just so wrong, on so many levels.

Offline FlaggerX

• Conversationalist
  • born of normal parents
    • View Profile
    • Everything 2
« Reply #389 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:03 AM »
I had forgotten about the jeep! Now that is just so wrong, on so many levels.

True, but not so wrong as stuffing any one who is 6'6" into an old beetle.