Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243388 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2009, 02:24:15 AM »
Uhhh...wasn't the show only 1 season, or am I missing something? It's too bad...because while I thought the show got off to a rocky start, it was getting pretty good by the end of the season.  I'll give a sci-fi/fantasy show one year of leeway, since most Star Trek shows started out pretty bad - I mean DS9's first season was pretty horrendous but it ended up being my favorite trek show.

But I had read the books long before the show. Was definitely disappointed by the very limited use of magic in the first episodes of the show, and the hockey stick. Ugh.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #361 on: December 08, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »
Uhhh...wasn't the show only 1 season, or am I missing something? It's too bad...because while I thought the show got off to a rocky start, it was getting pretty good by the end of the season.  I'll give a sci-fi/fantasy show one year of leeway, since most Star Trek shows started out pretty bad - I mean DS9's first season was pretty horrendous but it ended up being my favorite trek show.

But I had read the books long before the show. Was definitely disappointed by the very limited use of magic in the first episodes of the show, and the hockey stick. Ugh.

Yes, only one season. It was getting really good though.

The only thing I was disappointed about (I watched the tv show first, read the books, then re-watched it again) was the not-so-much magic part and the magic part not closer to the books - I mean, it wouldn't kill for TVHarry to yell "Fuego" every now and then and stuff like that... but that's about it. I rather enjoyed the tv show.
I didn't mind the hockey stick - I thought it was cool. xD
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
....loved the hocky stick. >_<

I had never heard of the author or the books before.  I got really bored on youtube one day, went through a list of the available shows, found DF, and was like: OMG! This is good.

After watching the entire season, I ran out of my dorm, jumped on a bus, and spent 4 hours tracking down the first two books.  Finally, I've finished all of them, and can NOT WAIT UNTIL APRIL!

=)  yeah...I sort of get into things really easily.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
same deal with me as the last poster... loved the "hockey stick of doom" :D

And then I read the books as i finished up what there was of the show and read all 11 or so books and "backup" up till September / October and then now I'm rereading and I've gotten through 4 books and hope to make them last till April when Changes comes out. :D Enjoying them as much as the first time. Currently rereading GP. :D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
yeah...I sort of get into things really easily.

No, that doesn't sound like ANYONE ELSE here. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
haha...shecky seems to have a sense of humor.  :o

haven't read back up yet though...Thomas' point of view just doesn't appeal to me that much.  I've already gotten use to the idea of the story being narrated 1st person by Dresden.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2009, 11:13:53 PM »
haha...shecky seems to have a sense of humor.  :o

haven't read back up yet though...Thomas' point of view just doesn't appeal to me that much.  I've already gotten use to the idea of the story being narrated 1st person by Dresden.
Dont dismiss it too quickly.  Its just s side thing, not (as of yet) central to the story in any way.  But it is cool to see things, especially harry himself, from somebody else's perspective.  Not to mention a bit more understanding of the Hunger. 

And I hear rumor that there is a short from Marcone's POV on deck...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2009, 11:58:22 PM »
Dont dismiss it too quickly.  Its just s side thing, not (as of yet) central to the story in any way.  But it is cool to see things, especially harry himself, from somebody else's perspective.  Not to mention a bit more understanding of the Hunger. 

And I hear rumor that there is a short from Marcone's POV on deck...

Thomas's POV wasn't too different from Harry's. It was entertaining - don't knock it till you try it and all that, right? And... what Quantus said. haha.

Oooooh there is? That would be interesting, if the rumors were true. Marcone is an interesting character. Not as much as Harry and Thomas, but.. yeah.

It would also be interesting to hear something from Michael.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:18:12 AM by Jaeh »
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 13, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »
Yup, Jim's confirmed that there is a Marcone PoV short. It's been written. As for Michael, I think we'd all like to see his PoV, but we've already got "The Warrior" and Jim's social calendar is booked.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 13, 2009, 12:22:19 AM »
are any of these shorts in book form?

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2009, 05:36:13 AM »
Yeah but I can't find them except off and on in Borders and I really don't want to pay 10 bucks just for the one story when I don't care for anything but JB's stuff at the moment.

Plus I'm dying of waiting for the anthology when it will come out next year along with Changes before that. Ugh... waiting waiting waiting... no more waiting!

:P

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 13, 2009, 06:15:23 AM »
are any of these shorts in book form?
I believe Backup is the only one in a stand-alone form.  the rest are part fo various anthologies (many of which get frustratingly filed amidst the Romance novels and bookstores)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 14, 2009, 01:13:08 AM »
Yup, Jim's confirmed that there is a Marcone PoV short. It's been written.

OOooh. I really want to read that. I wonder if it will have anything to do with the girl waking up. That would be a good story. Hard situation, though. Would someone who's been in a coma since they were 4, even have their brain develope normally as most adults would have?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
OOooh. I really want to read that. I wonder if it will have anything to do with the girl waking up. That would be a good story. Hard situation, though. Would someone who's been in a coma since they were 4, even have their brain develope normally as most adults would have?

she'll probably have a serious case of brain damage, I think. Isn't it that some people who slips into a coma wakes up with damaged brains?

or maybe she'll go The Dead Zone on everyone and would know the future/past with a touch of a hand!

in any case, if it's the girl, it would interesting. xD well, anything about Marcone would be interesting. xD

hm, speaking of which, how do you pronounce Marcone? like, Mar-cone? or Mar-con-e?

Offline Stitch

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2009, 03:06:56 AM »
Jim has said it's Mar-cone.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.