Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243426 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
I started with the tv show from the first episode, and when the season ended I went out and bought Storm Front. I loved it so much I went back and bought all of the rest and read them all in about two weeks. I'm re-reading them all a little slower now, trying to stretch them out until the next one comes out. I've always been a fan of urban fantasy, and I can't believe it took me so long to discover the joy that is Harry.
Please sir, can I have somemore?

Yes. Check out his short stories in My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding and Many Bloody Returns to whet your appetite. Then start re-reading the series yet again. Lather, rinse, repeat until April. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Griffworks

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Griffworks ShipYards
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2007, 12:37:50 AM »
Yes, discovered the books because of the show.  A friend of mine kept talking about them, but I never bothered to do any real research to try and find them.  I'm currently Deployed to Iraq and happened upon "Fool Moon" while looking for something to read at the PX.  Picked it up and read it in about three days during slack time here at The Job, as well as on my day off.  I then ordered each of the novels from Amazon.com, going for two each time I placed an order.  Just finished "White Night" a few days ago and it's my favorite of the 9, thus far.  I think that it's a tie between "Summer Knight" and "Dead Beat" after that. 
Jeffrey Griffin

Offline MERC.KP

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2007, 02:38:14 AM »
I had seen his books in the bookstores and always found something I thought I would like better. I saw the series in the video store then picked up the first couple episodes then watched the whole series. I then went back to the bookstore and got STORM FRONT.  I enjoyed it enough to get the next book in the series and then I was hooked. I ve read all the Codex Alera books (I enjoy that type of fantasy more). I'm waiting like everyone else for Capatian's Fury and I'm gonig to start Dead Beat in a the next day or so when I finish my current book.  I just started reading Jim's books in September in between other authors.  But I am so glad for the TV series I might still not have found Jim's books if not for them.  I would have loved for the series to continue.  But as long as the books continue I'll survive.  But because I saw the tv series first I cannot picture Murphy with blonde hair but see her as the actress Valerie Cruz which is not bad (she is easy on the "mind's" eye).................. KP
K.P.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »
But because I saw the tv series first I cannot picture Murphy with blonde hair but see her as the actress Valerie Cruz which is not bad (she is easy on the "mind's" eye).................. KP

Hopefully the comics will help TV inductees establish a strong mental image of the books' short, blonde Murphy as they read. :D

Offline Griffworks

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Griffworks ShipYards
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
Y'know who I've pictured as Murphy, actress-wise? 

Please don't hit me....  :-[

Katee Sackhoff.   I know she's a bit younger than we're lead to believe Murphy is, but Sackhoff is short (tho not "five-foot nothing"), blonde, blue-eyed, has a cute lil' button nose and - IMNSHO - has the right flair for angry looks that I think would work well for Murphy.  Plus, she's starting to look a bit closer to her early-to-mid-thirties that Karrin Murphy is supposed to be as she matures - Katee Sackhoff is 27.  Katee Sackhoff's IMDb entry.

Just my thoughts on that particular issue. 
Jeffrey Griffin

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2007, 10:37:53 PM »
Y'know who I've pictured as Murphy, actress-wise? 

Please don't hit me....  :-[

Why would I hit you if I've had the very same thought?  Katee would make a fantastic Murphy!  And Murphy is about 27 in Storm Front, actually. :D

Offline Griffworks

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Griffworks ShipYards
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »
I didn't realize she was that young!  I was thinkin' she was in her early 30's at that point and so would have been in her mid-to-late-30's by "White Night".  Kewelness!  :)

Jeffrey Griffin

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »
I didn't realize she was that young!  I was thinkin' she was in her early 30's at that point and so would have been in her mid-to-late-30's by "White Night".  Kewelness!  :)

Harry is even younger!  He's in his mid-twenties in Storm Front. :D  *pinches his cheeks*

Offline Griffworks

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Griffworks ShipYards
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2007, 05:35:43 PM »
My perceptions have been spoiled by the series, I'm afeared.  :-[
Jeffrey Griffin

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2007, 06:02:28 PM »
Why would I hit you if I've had the very same thought?  Katee would make a fantastic Murphy!  And Murphy is about 27 in Storm Front, actually. :D

I just see Murph as being more sober (personality-wise, not booze-wise, you nutjobs ;D ) than either of the characters Sackhoff's played that I've seen. Plus, Sackhoff just doesn't give the impression of tininess. But I'll freely admit she's got the 'tude down pat.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Tibbetts

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace Page
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2007, 01:28:49 AM »
Didn't find the books until after the tv show.  Which isn't unusual for me.  Same thing happened with the Harry Potter novels.  Watched the movies(first two), then a friend of mine at Uni shoved them under my nose and suggested I read them.  Same thing happened with TDF novels.

Although, after I bought them back in June, they set on my shelf for almost 6 months before I took the plunge.  Very good stuff.  I've already bought other novels of the series.  Can't wait. :D

-Tibbetts
"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies, cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- G'Kar

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2007, 01:49:33 AM »
I just see Murph as being more sober (personality-wise, not booze-wise, you nutjobs ;D ) than either of the characters Sackhoff's played that I've seen. Plus, Sackhoff just doesn't give the impression of tininess. But I'll freely admit she's got the 'tude down pat.

Not having ever even watched the show Heroes, I picture Murphy looking similar to Clea DuVall.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2007, 12:14:51 PM »
Not having ever even watched the show Heroes, I picture Murphy looking similar to Clea DuVall.

Hmm. I see her as pretty. And there's an actress in my head who would suit PERFECTLY, but for the life of me I can't remember who she is and what she's been in. Damn Swiss-cheese memory.

Offline Craz

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Superheroes and Sorcerors
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2007, 09:23:21 AM »
Okay, I went out and bought Storm Front after seeing the first preview for the show, but I didn't read it until after the pilot. I read Storm Front behind a chemistry and algebra textbook....and I was done by 6th period. :D
J.A.H., author.

Check out Superheroes and Sorcerors, my blog and archive at http://justenhunter.com !

Offline Mpol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »
I too agree that Clea DuVall would be a perfect Murphy. She's a very cute girl when dolled up a little. And her character, Audrey on Heroes WAS THE MURPHY I have come to love in the books. Smart, hardened... she's very Murphy like.