Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243405 times)

Offline Euterpe

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2007, 01:14:36 PM »
I had already read the first 3 books of the series before I even KNEW that they'd made it into a tv series! Of course, I was depressed when I found out that the show only had one season.  I'm currently, slowly making my way through the DVDs of the show, though--I'm very curious how it will go!

I, too, am disappointed by how many good shows Sci-Fi seems to cancel.  The fact that other shows get 9 seasons when Dresden got 1 seems terribly lame to me. They also had a show a while back called "Brimstone" that kicked ass, too, but I think that only lasted for 1-2 seasons? :-[

Offline cassandra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2007, 06:53:10 PM »
I've never seen the tv show. I've seen the DVD display at the store, but I've never actually seen any of the episodes or previews. I don't know if i want to see it, really. From what I've read it's quite a divergence from the books, and I think the differences would bug me.

Offline charmeddigitalchick

• Participant
  • Save Harry Dresden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
Yes, once I got hooked onto the Dresden tv series and found it suddenly cancelled, I needed to fill that void and picked up the novels. 

There are indeed differences between the book and tv formats.  However, there are still similiarities which makes it easy to relate to them.  For example, I personally prefer the tv Bob and tv Harry and see them in my mind's eye when I'm reading the Dresden books.  Terrance Mann gave Bob a great personality and I enjoyed it.  Paul Blackthorne gave Harry a presence that essentially brought him to life onscreen. 

I agree that the it is a bit of a mental whiplash going back and forth between the two different formats due to the changes.  For the most part, they are subtle and I have learned to accept them with grace.  I'll admit that it took awhile to get used to the changes but I'm happy with them. 
"... can you see the pyramids?  You are standing knee-deep in de Nile."

Said Bob to Harry in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher.

Offline wildwill

• Participant
  • "I like to wave at those moments as they pass by"
    • View Profile
    • WildWill's Home Page
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2007, 08:09:22 PM »
Got into the show from episode one - discovered the books.  I'm up to err...I forget the title, but it's book 7 right now.  My wife is on book 5.  She read 1-4 before I did, and I overtook her, since I'm a faster reader. 

LOVED the show, but honestly love the books more.  So with the loss of the show, at least the books will continue!

When all else fails, read the manual.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2007, 03:49:57 AM »
I watched the first episode before I'd ever heard of the books. I thought the show seemed interesting, so the next day I went out and bought Storm Front. By the time I was halfway through SF, I realized that the series rocked, and went back out and bought all of the other books that were out.

I decided to finish reading the books before watching any more of the show, to keep from spoiling anything for myself, in case the show had elements from the books in it. I recorded the episodes, though, and when I was done with the books, I watched most of the season over one weekend, one after another. At first, I didn't like the show so much, because it was so different from the books and left out a lot of things which I considered to be great about the series. But, by about halfway through the show, I started thinking of it in terms of itself, not as a reflection of the The Dresden Files books, and I started to like it a lot more. By the end of the season, I actually thought the show was very good, taken on its own.

I wish it had gotten another season. Especially because it might've helped make the long wait between books more bearable. Parallel universe Dresden Files or not, it was still Harry. :)
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline oceanmother

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2007, 02:42:14 PM »
Hello! I'm brand new :D
I had watched the show when it was on, but in truth, I didn't go out of my way to watch it. On a total lark one day at the book store I descided to pick up Storm Front, really not expecting too much. I guess It wouldn't be too much of a shock to say that now I am totally hooked. I'm slowly collecting the books, and just bought the DVD. Now I feel sorry that I wasn't so into the show when it was on the air.... I totally love it. 

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
I found the books through the TV show.  I only watched the show because both my BF and 14 year old daughter insisted.  Other than being a huge Terry Pratchett fan, I've never been a big fantasy/SciFi fan, and do tend to miss some of the references y'all throw into your posts.  I guess that's why God created Google.  Anyway... 

I got SF first, read it in one day, then went back to Borders and bought the rest.  I was on vacation, so I spent the week reading all the books.  I personally like the books much better than the show, and I did enjoy the show.  I think JB has done an excellent job with allowing his characters to grow and change over time, and the continuity has been amazing.  I don't know how he keeps track of it all.

Offline Duh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2007, 11:36:27 PM »
Well had been on a history and MilSF kick for a while.  Got bored and picked up the DVDs of the show.  I was hooked.  Since there were no second season I picked up book 2, then the next day books 1 and 3, the day after the rest.... I got a werid eye from the cashier some goth girl looking at a middle aged man buying all those books ("what, I dont have cable and am a cheap bastard so I can drive my truck." she giggled).  What struck me in the books unlike some others is that to manifest in the real world physics works..... guns that make tiny holes in the front and big holes in the back work on the big nasties (what you going to do big nasty when your head is blown off your neck).  Yeah I still remeber the article Steve Jackson wrote about how in modern times if his residence would be brutal and short.  And its nice to see that Harry has limits unlike some of the fantasy books I have read.  All in all very enjoyable.

P.S. when will Mouses tail accidently sweep the coffee table clean.

Duh
If its stupid and it works it aint stupid.
Permits department correlation.
If its stupid and expensive its required.

Offline ThricePromised

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2007, 12:25:55 AM »
Newbie here.
I've never watched the television series... never knew about it until I read through one of his books.
Actually, I remember  reading the first chapter of SF online, and kinda rolling my eyes. I decided not to read them, despite a friend giving me a good reference.
Well, while I perused my local library, I came across Dead Beat, so I kinda picked it up and read he first chapter of that one.
..A couple days later I finished it. I would have devoured it in one afternoon if I didn't have to go to work..
So I go back to the library, discover the first book, and am now beginning where I should have- at the beginning.
I'm hooked.
Once I finish The Dresden Files, I'll check out his other books.

"Where instinct fails... intellect must venture"

Offline Arvf

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2007, 09:57:54 PM »
I was first made aware of Jim Butcher when I found out that the one book my all-time favourite author Glen Cook wanted his fans to read (other than his own, I suspect, but that was never asserted) was Storm Front by this new and talented author. I checked with Amazon, and found that he had already released Fool Moon as well, so I ordered them both to cut down on shipping (yes, the actual shipping went up, but the shipping per book went down - so I am irrational, sue me).

After this, it has been a waiting game for the new releases. Buying hardcovers to get the books fast, then again as paperbacks to get a matching set on the shelves.

The TV show? I don't remember when i first heard about it, probably through the newsletter. I didn't have a chance to watch any of it until it was released on DVD, though.
tonight I shall sleep with the knowledge and freedom
that the one who comes will be wanting only me

Hvis du kan lese dette er du sannsynligvis fra min del av verden.

Offline Pennthor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:30 PM »
I read the books long before I watched the TV series.  Got into them shortly before grave peril came out and meet another fan who was anxiously waiting for the releases and sent Jim some fan e-mail too.  Have been hooked ever since and enjoy the Codex greatly as well (bonus: name was used twice in the books as Tavi's single knight ignus in CF and waterhealer in AF)
Bolshevik Muppet!!

Offline jinx

• Lurker
  • flickum bicus
    • View Profile
    • Sanctuary
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
I started with the tv show from the first episode, and when the season ended I went out and bought Storm Front. I loved it so much I went back and bought all of the rest and read them all in about two weeks. I'm re-reading them all a little slower now, trying to stretch them out until the next one comes out. I've always been a fan of urban fantasy, and I can't believe it took me so long to discover the joy that is Harry.
Please sir, can I have somemore?
www.sanctuary.frih.net - a fansite for the monster hunter genre - multiple fandoms (Supernatural, Buffy, Charmed, Dresden Files, etc...)

Offline Craig1974

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2007, 02:44:27 AM »
I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books and was discussing them with others on another forum and someone mentioned The Dresden Files. I asked what The Dresden Files was about and they said it is basically about wizards and other supernatural stuff and the main character, Harry Dreden was a private investigator who is also a powerful wizard and solves crimes that often have supernatural stuff involved. I was vaguely curious after that but was not even aware that there was a series on Sci-Fi until a week ago when I saw the series for rent at a video store. Seeing them reminded me of when I was told about The Dresden Files initially, so I picked them up. I liked what I saw and so did my wife and 2 kids. I went to Walden Books and picked up Dead Beat and Grave Peril. I am reading Dead Beat right now and I think it is great! I have also been on Wikipedia researching all the characters and associations in the series so I can be up to date and not get confused since I am a late-comer to the world of Dresden.

Offline Feoh

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2007, 03:49:42 PM »
I had been hearing about Jim Butcher and the Dresden books for years, but until I watched the series I just hadn't happened to pick up any of the books.

Now, they're an addiction :) I've churned through the entire series in the last fw months, and just started White Knight.

Quoth my wife: "It's like those books are magnetic.  If you're within sight of one you MUST pick it up and read it"

I've been a scifi / fantas fan all my life - but honestly I haven't had this much fun just rabidly devouring a series in more years than I care to think about  ;D

Looking forward to more!

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »
I had been hearing about Jim Butcher and the Dresden books for years, but until I watched the series I just hadn't happened to pick up any of the books.

Now, they're an addiction :) I've churned through the entire series in the last fw months, and just started White Knight.

Quoth my wife: "It's like those books are magnetic.  If you're within sight of one you MUST pick it up and read it"

I've been a scifi / fantas fan all my life - but honestly I haven't had this much fun just rabidly devouring a series in more years than I care to think about  ;D

Looking forward to more!

Yeah, I'm the same way. I picked up the first one in January, and I've re-read the series already. I haven't enjoyed the various details and mysteries of a book series this much since I was reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan, back when Lord of Chaos came out. And as much as I like the mysteries, I think the reason I like The Dresden Files so much is because I love the characters, and listening to Harry's thoughts as he goes through the story.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]