Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243419 times)

Offline Bujin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2007, 09:58:01 PM »
I saw the previews of the series and thought it looked very neat. I then picked up the first couple of books and read them prior to the premier episode of the show.  So I both owe the show for my reading the series, and experienced the book-verse before seeing the show.  :)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »

Loved the series, wouldn't rest till I got all the books and have been reading them non stop.. Just finished White Nights and now have started over again with Storm Front.. There are lots of pieces to the puzzle and I do not want to miss them.

Offline FarSky

• Lurker
  • Die. In the face.
    • View Profile
    • Near Ground
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2007, 06:21:37 PM »
Yes, I did.  I caught the "premiere" (grrrr) of the TV series on a lark, and was sufficiently intrigued that I browsed Storm Front in the bookstore.  When I got to "Paranoid?  Probably.  But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." I was hooked.
FarSky

Offline hkjakkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2007, 01:47:04 AM »
   I also have posted before. I saw the ad watching Monk. I saw the first show. Saw that the show was
based on Jim Butcher. I went to Barnes and Nobles/Borders.  I bought Storm Front and a later book(I somehow end up reading books out of order. I remember as a kid I was confused when I read the Foundation
Trilogy by Isaac Asimov out of order). I was hooked. For me everything clicked. Harry Potter was ending.
I actually was looking for "something" to take its place. I watch Psych. If anyone a scream of frustration from TX that was me. I got sick so I somehow ended with all the books of the Dresden Files. I saw the Codex  books (I saw someone write Dresden Files/Codex Alera so I want all of the books for both series.
   Am I the only one that wants to thank SCFI for introducing The Dresden Files to me?  I keep repeating myself but I hope everyone at all involved make a lot money and live happily every after.  :-*
   I wanted to avoid posting since I do not know how to attach a picture. I do not know if I want to be a mortal or a wizard. I do know I have 13 years of good books to look forward to....Right now I need to find a new job...so I better get busy..
 :-*       Jackie 

Offline Dellma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »
The person who introduced me to the books found out about Dresden through the show.

"Fire is the simplest thing you can do. All the real wizards learn that in the first couple of weeks and move on up from there"

- Harry Dresden

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2007, 08:35:09 PM »
MWAHAHAHAHA!

Our evil plan is succeeding! Soon we shall realize our insidious goal of spreading literacy and bibliophile-ism through the nation via quality television programming!

LET THE BRAINWASHING...erm...CONTINUE!

It's only brainwashing if the subject has a dirty mind!
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Mabb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »
I saw the show first, and then another "on-line" friend-a woman who I think might be in her 50's, recommended the books to me-a woman in her "40's" (though I think someone made a mistake on my birth certificate as I feel much younger than that!)  Anyway, I think these books are fantastic.  I try to explain them to people who've never heard of Dresdin as "Harry Potter for adults" in that the imagination and character development, not to mention plotting, is so well done.  And you know, another thing about these books is that they are pretty-much "clean".  I think I could just about be comfortable recommending them to my teenage nieces and nephews (with a few scene exeptions of course.)  Glad there's a website for Butcher, he is certainly a worthy writer! 
La Lune, chant a mon sang.
Mon sang, chant a la lune...

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
Actually, I discovered the books before the TV series...
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!

Offline jcwoodring

• Participant
  • Not sure which side of the line crazy in on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
Loved the show.  Mad that Scifi channel cancelled it.  BAD, BAD, stupid decision!!!! (Since I can't turn a trashcan into slag, this is the only way I can vent my frustration.)  I started reading the books two weeks ago and have read through White Night.  Have I lost sleep?  Yes.  Was it worth it?  Yes.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2007, 02:16:25 AM »
Loved the show.  Mad that Scifi channel cancelled it.  BAD, BAD, stupid decision!!!!

This is, of course, par for the course regarding Sci-Fi's mind-numbing skill in defecating on its own dinner plate.

If something works, it has (if they're lucky) one half-season in which to be judged as worth keeping...sometimes, they have a show that inspires loyalty of a size not seen since Trek (Farscape/Stargate SG-1, anyone?), and they STILL cancel it!!!

Why?  Because several sources have said that Sci-Fi's CEO positively HATES science-fiction; the decision to put wrestling on the Sci-Fi Channel was ranking right up there with offering Roseanne Barr a singing gig!  Wrestling and Sci-Fi go together like a peanut-butter and battery-acid sandwich; truly, the demented vision of someone who hasn't the intellect of a lobotomized coconut!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2007, 02:55:37 AM »
This is, of course, par for the course regarding Sci-Fi's mind-numbing skill in defecating on its own dinner plate.

If something works, it has (if they're lucky) one half-season in which to be judged as worth keeping...sometimes, they have a show that inspires loyalty of a size not seen since Trek (Farscape/Stargate SG-1, anyone?), and they STILL cancel it!!!

Why?  Because several sources have said that Sci-Fi's CEO positively HATES science-fiction; the decision to put wrestling on the Sci-Fi Channel was ranking right up there with offering Roseanne Barr a singing gig!  Wrestling and Sci-Fi go together like a peanut-butter and battery-acid sandwich; truly, the demented vision of someone who hasn't the intellect of a lobotomized coconut!

I had heard that too, may I ask what in the hell is a CEO who hates science fiction doing running a scifi channe?  Or was it part of some packaged deal?

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2007, 10:15:44 AM »
  I had heard that too, may I ask what in the hell is a CEO who hates science fiction doing running a scifi channe?  Or was it part of some packaged deal?

Ever hear of power being a time-tested intoxicant?

When you have a chance to be king of the hill, does it really matter where your hill is?

Besides, the CEO is some woman named Hammer, I believe; maybe her heart was broken by some nerd-stereotype, and this is revenge?

Offline Orissa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2007, 03:41:01 PM »
I saw the show first.  I don't even think I caught the first episodes.  But I liked it right away.  So, of course, I wasn't surprised when Sci-Fi canceled it.  Networks always seem to cancel the shows I immediately like.  Never fails.  *sigh*

Are you serious about the CEO hating science fiction?!  How stupid is that?!?!  Sounds like a recipie for disaster to me.

The books are different.  Sometimes that doesn't work too well, but this seem to fit in either setting.  I do get crossed up sometimes when I'm reading and it isn't the same as the tv show.  But that's getting easier.   :)

Offline Wicked Spell

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2007, 01:55:19 AM »
I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is a big Buffy fanatic and he went out and bought hte audio book to Storm Front and let me listen to it. I liked it so much that I started buying the books to read 2 at a time

...and I, I was that friend.  And hey, I'm not a Buffy fanatic, that implies like cons, and cosplay, and stalking the actresses at said cons.  I'm a Willow fanatic.  That's an entirely DIFFERENT kind'a stalkin'.   ;)

And I never got into the show, I read Storm Front and the next 2 right before the series premired - the series was a bit of a let down.  Bob was the only change I enjoyed. 

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »
I MUST have told this story, but it's been a while.  When I started writing urban fantasy, I had no clue it was a flourishing genre.  The only person I knew about was LKH.  I was at a writing con one summer, and this editor said, "You've got to know your audience. Maybe you think you're writing like LKH, but really, you're writing like Jim Butcher."

I went home and wondered, "Who is this guy?"  So I looked him up and was like, "Holy crap! What have I been missing?"  The punchline is that when I wrote the query that got my agent, I had a line like, "This will appeal to fans of Jim Butcher..."   :P
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com