Poll

Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?

Never heard of him before the show, now reading him.
499 (72%)
Heard of him, but never picked him up before I saw the show.
94 (13.6%)
Hunted down the books based on the previews alone.
97 (14%)
Plan on reading him because of the show, but haven't, yet.
3 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 677

Author Topic: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?  (Read 243400 times)

Offline wizard1974uk

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Did you discover the books because of the TV Show?
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2007, 08:18:53 AM »
I voted for option 1 :)

Offline ladyelizabethann

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
I too, found out about the series through the show.  I loved the series.  I thought it was well thought out, wonderfully acted and not too over or under on the special effects.  (Yes, the dragon was small, but it was obviously a shape-shifter and making itself bigger than Harriy's office would not have been a good way to insure it's survival.)  It was about the sixth episode that I saw that the series was based on a set of books.  I wanted to buy them, but it took me a while to take the time to get them.  When I did, it took three books stores to find them and naturally my third one was Boarders.  They were having a sale on Jim's books.  I bought the whole series during the course of two weeks.  Read them all too.  Plan to go to the book signing tomorrow.  Still enjoy the series and can't wait for the next season.  However, the books are amazing and I'm now working on getting the whole set in hardcover.

Offline Morgana leFay

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
I watched the series.  Good shows, decent special fx.  I would like to see them follow the books a bit more.

I found out about the books from an online friend at another forum. 

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »
I didn't actually see the previews, but I heard about the show about the time I heard about the books, and that's what got me curious.

Offline HarryDrezdenwizard

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2007, 08:45:01 PM »
I have not started reading the books yet Im working on one of the last of the 24 series books I have two to finish and then I will start on the Dresden books. I have to go this week and pick up a book that I orderded and I will buy maybe five more of the series. I have the first two right now. I cant wait.

I would rather it wouldnt follow the tv show, I think it will keep the show and the books fresh.

Offline rjinpa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2007, 01:39:13 AM »
Welcome. I'm just curious as to the numbers of board members who "found Jim" because of the TV show.

I surfed into an episode mid season.

Then I bought the whole season on iTunes so I could catch up on what I missed.

Then I read all the books. Looking forward to more Dresden Files.

Offline pjz2000

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »
I vaguely remember hearing about the books.  When I saw the ads on tv for the show I knew they were based on a book series.  I don't think I would have been half as interested in the books if the tv show hadn't reminded me.  I've never watched the show though because I didn't want to spoil the books.  I'd rather read the books over a tv or film adaptation. 

Offline MNsane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
Actually, in my case, it was my brother who got me hooked on the books when we met at our parents house for supper (we were invited, it was VERY kind of them) and i saw a copy of "Dead Beat" in his hand, that he had checked out from the local library, he let me borrow it, and that was it.

Offline Magus Dresdenarus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2007, 06:20:12 AM »
Have you seen their miniseries "The Lost Room?" That was one of my favorite miniseries ever. It had a good story, wasn't terribly corny, it was fairly well acted, and so forth. They could make a good solid series out of it if they weren't morons.

I loved The Lost Room.  It's available on DVD now.  As for being a series, I get the feeling that it was intended to be a series, couldn't get it sold, and finished it as a mini- to re-market it.

Cartoonus Supersonicus: Common North American Road Runner (Beep-Beep)

Magus Dresdenarus: Common North American Working-Class Wizard (Toot-toot)

Offline Erlking

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2007, 07:10:45 PM »
Never heard of them before, saw the show and that was that. After the first season, hope they do more, i went and bought the first couple books to try em, then bought all the rest up to White Night. Then bought the Codex Alera books too!

Codex is great but sucks its a lot like a world I was working on so now I cant use it or people would think im just copying Jim  ;D
Where am I... and why am I in a handbasket?

Offline celticwych

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2007, 12:04:17 AM »
I had the books looong before the show!!!

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2007, 05:50:04 AM »
Discovered the books because of the TV show (which I haven't seen all of), but the books are fabulous! I've read them all more than once. And recommended them to others too. :)
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline Gnostic

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »
The T.V. series came on long after I started reading Jim Butchers books.

I am an avid Fantasy/Scifi reader, and just happen to find Storm Front when it was first published in paperback.

Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down, and have been a fan ever since.

I enjoy the TV series, but would rather read the books.

Offline antialiasis

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »
My boyfriend became a huge Dresden fan a few weeks ago. After listening him babble on and on about it to everybody he met for a couple of weeks, I let him show me the Storm Front episode of the TV show (while he was constantly commenting on how it was nothing like the book).

Then I saw that Harry had a death sentence looming over him. Insta-love. (I told him that I'd have started reading it immediately if he'd just mentioned that little detail.)

And then I borrowed Storm Front and realized that Harry Dresden is one of the most utterly lovable main characters I have ever had the joy of reading about. So right now I'm in the middle of Fool Moon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:13:44 PM by antialiasis »

Offline fivestyle

• Posty McPostington
  • I like Coke and cold showers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2007, 08:59:22 PM »
I actually found out about the books in a weird sort of way. First I had heard about the tv show from a teaser commercial on scifi. At that point I had wanted to know more about the show but had forgot about it. Then when the show eventually came out I kept missing it's air time and never caught an episode so I decided to look it up on line. While online I noticed that the audio books where read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy). I mentioned this to a friend of mine who is a big Buffy fanatic and he went out and bought hte audio book to Storm Front and let me listen to it. I liked it so much that I started buying the books to read 2 at a time. By the time I got to Death Masks I decided to catch an episode of the TV show. Unfortunately I caught the episode that was based off of Storm Front, and with Storm Front so fresh in my mind I really didn't get into all the changes and differences in show. What I didn't like the most was that the show seemed to leave out the real gritty noir feeling of the books. It also seemed to not have enough of the guts, gore, and scares the books had. 

So I really had to look at the show as if it had nothing to do with the books and the characters just happened to have the same names to get into it. Otherwise I felt like I was watching a sick kiddiefied perversion of the stories and characters I loved so much...I shall use the Episode 1 to Original trilogy starwars example as a reference.