Author Topic: Has anyone killed Harry?  (Read 6301 times)

Offline 2814

• Lurker
  • I hate to say I told you, but I told you so.
    • View Profile
Has anyone killed Harry?
« on: June 01, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
In one to the RPG books they mention Killing him off and moving forward from that. Has any of the Gm" out there given it any thought or done it. Giving it strong consideration, want to move my game in a little different direction. Thoughts and comments are welcome and wanted.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:04:35 PM by Priscellie »
My blasting rod is Franchi spas-12.

Offline dwightfry

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Harry Dresden
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
Really considering it myself for my home game.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
I've given it thought, but it just seems like a lot of work that you don't really need. You can keep the entire setting without the timeline, or include the timeline events but just say the White Council handled it. That sidebar with problems that only Harry Dresden could have solved pretty much ignores a GM's right to drop random characters wherever and whenever she wants - pretty much all of them, for instance, can be handwaved with "the White Council found out and stopped it".

If you're actually going through the story events, then you might have an issue, and then the sidebar might be helpful.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
I haven't considered it, mostly because I'm keeping my own campaigns as seperate from Harry's story as I can. I'm running my games like a series of books set well away from Chicago, so I can either leave the canon story in the background between scenarios, or change and ignore anything I need to without worrying about how it effects my game.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
I haven't considered it, mostly because I'm keeping my own campaigns as seperate from Harry's story as I can. I'm running my games like a series of books set well away from Chicago, so I can either leave the canon story in the background between scenarios, or change and ignore anything I need to without worrying about how it effects my game.

Thats kind of the way I'm handling this myself. Me and my guys are sitting between Grave Peril and Summer Knight at the moment, more to the Grave Peril end though. The Vampire War has not yet been openly declared and my players find them selfs in a situation where they further aggravate the Red Court. As they tried to contact the wardens for some backup I dropped Wizard Dresden's name for great effect...

... My plan is to let my players brush the canon story every now and then to get them immersed in the background as much as I think possible, yet to let have them there own "books" so to speak. Some things can even happen in the off screen time in between scenarios. A good example is the council meeting during the beginning of summer knight. It would be great fun if two Wizards talk about the council meeting at the beginning of Summer Knight and one of the Wizards tells the other one, who was not able to participate, what new blunder this crazy scary Wizard from Chicago did again.

To return to the Thread: I wouldn't kill Harry. He is just to cool of a NPC to cross paths with from time to time...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline CMEast

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
Our game is set in London and so it barely touches the events in the book at all (and the gun laws should make it interesting too), however if you're set on running your game in Chicago or similar, just move Harry Dresden, pretend his events took place in another city or another country. Then decide what wars you want in the background (if any) and how far along they've progressed.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:27 PM »
I'll let you know after this summer.  Mab's mad and who knows what she'll have some poor saps who owe her big doing.   ::)
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:37 PM »
I've given it thought, but it just seems like a lot of work that you don't really need.

A lot of work? "Harry died right after the most recent book. Stop paying attention to them." Done.

Another thing I'm considering is, "It's the same world, but the events of the book never happened." Again, done. Very, very little work.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:50:07 PM »
A lot of work? "Harry died right after the most recent book. Stop paying attention to them." Done.

Another thing I'm considering is, "It's the same world, but the events of the book never happened." Again, done. Very, very little work.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:05:56 PM by Priscellie »
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
Why would I kill him when it's much more amusing to me to put my players in situations where they're likely to get on harry's bad side... like surrounding his apartment with iron nails to get out of a debt to a fairy.

Offline HoodooHuckster

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
I'm curious why you are wanting to kill of Harry in the setting?  Are setting your game in Chicago? Because it seems to me that if your not in Chicago itself than there should be no reason to kill him off.
"Go and Never Darken My Towels Again"
Groucho Marx

Offline 2814

• Lurker
  • I hate to say I told you, but I told you so.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Harry Dresden(BOOK SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!!!)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »
BOOK SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!!! AVERT YOUR GAZE IF YOU ARE 2 BOOKS BEHIND!!!! WARNED YOU HAVE BEEN!!!!!

(click to show/hide)

2. Harry is killed on the island at the end of TC. Whether it was Shag or something else not sure. Due to his premature death, the shield that Molly put up gets detonated by an impatient Ancient Mai. It kills her(MAi) and cripples both Listens to Wind and McCoy. Needless to say, within a year the White council has lost the war and the laws of magic are no longer enforced. A very bleak point to start at, but with no laws comes the freedom to try and change things..........

(click to show/hide)

4. The TV show world. Probably the hardest one, since there is only 1 season to work with. But some of the changes were good. One of my players suggested it, so have been working with it  a bit
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:06:44 PM by Priscellie »
My blasting rod is Franchi spas-12.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: *BOOK SPOILERS* Integrating TDF in the RPG
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »
In one to the RPG books they mention Killing him off and moving forward from that. Has any of the Gm" out there given it any thought or done it. Giving it strong consideration, want to move my game in a little different direction. Thoughts and comments are welcome and wanted.

Please change the title of your original post so that it doesn't contain a spoiler for those who haven't read Changes. Even though it's in the RPG section, the thread title does appear on the "Recent Unread Posts", etc. searches - and it's a big-time spoiler.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »
Umm, the thread has nothing to do with changes. There is actually a whole section in the book where they talk about killing Harry off to keep him from interfering with your game world.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
Umm, the thread has nothing to do with changes. There is actually a whole section in the book where they talk about killing Harry off to keep him from interfering with your game world.
(click to show/hide)

A bit too close to the mark, however. Better to do something utterly simple and be safe than to ruin someone's enjoyment.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.