Author Topic: Has anyone killed Harry?  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Harry Dresden
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
Probably the biggest change I could see during Death Masks, if Harry and the Knights failed to stop Nicodemus he would have spread the plague curse all around the world, possibly killing a couple billion. Not to mention all three swords would be up for grabs and the Winter Knight job since Dresden is dead.

And then the Darkhallow happens the next year and wipes out the senior council...

This would probably be the route to go if you wanted a post-apocalyptic Dresden setting.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline 2814

• Lurker
  • I hate to say I told you, but I told you so.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Harry Dresden SPOILERS DEAD AHEAD!!!! YOU ARE WARNED!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
I fixed the title, sorry about that. Someone needs to teach me how to do the cool invisible text thing at some point.

I have found that some worlds( game and literary alike) sometimes are easier to work in when the title or titular character are not involved. Doctor Who is a good example at times. Very easy to abuse a 1000 year old alien with a sonic mcguffin.  And where as Killing him seems harsh, heroes fall so that heroes may rise.

My blasting rod is Franchi spas-12.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »
Yeah, but Harry is a different sort of thing than the Doctor. He's not everywhere he needs to be, in fact he's pretty much just in Chicago. If your game is literally anywhere in the world except Chicago, having Harry never show up is not only justifiable, but the default setting.

Offline 2814

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »
It is like throwing a rock in the pond, the ripples get there eventually. He is a very big rock in some cases. The biggest waves made by his premature, artificially cuased death. Someone, or something broke law 6 to remove him from the field. What happens next?

Big fan of quatum leap, sue me.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Has anyone killed Harry?
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
Changed the title again and spoiler-tagged several posts. 

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
That could actually be an interesting way to have Harry in your game without actually having him there.

Let the PCs meet Harry once early on and hear about a couple of his adventures while theyre having their own. Then suddenly kaboom, he's dead. In some particularly spectacular way... like what appears to be a nuke dropped on Chicago or something. Something really REALLY big.

Then a certain Gatekeeper shows up on their doorstep saying he needs their help... somebody violated the Law of Magic about Time and went back to kill Harry Dresden... so that the future would be changed in the killer's favor. Can the PCs find and stop the killer NOW so that he never gets powerful enough to go back in time?
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 11:49:01 PM »
Then a certain Gatekeeper shows up on their doorstep saying he needs their help... somebody violated the Law of Magic about Time and went back to kill Harry Dresden... so that the future would be changed in the killer's favor. Can the PCs find and stop the killer NOW so that he never gets powerful enough to go back in time?

So the big bad evil guy is SkyNet?  :P
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »
Oooo...a "Harry's Dead and Whodunnit" session would be all kinds o' fun.
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline 2814

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
That is what I was debating. But time travel can get unwieldy. But, it can also be a lot of fun.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
I've just ruled that in my game, everything up to Small Favour has happened, with one or two small changes to canon, like
(click to show/hide)
(Small Favour Spoiler).

From the end of Small Favour onward, I've told my players, things won't be happening as they have in the books. Turn Coat may happen, but Changes, probably not so much.

I'm running my campaign as though each story arc or scenario is a book in a series. So when we play we can focus entirely on our Boston, and not worry about Chicago. Anything major that happens that I want to incorporate I can alter or have mentioned in the background without it being an issue in-game, since the odds of even the events of Turn Coat having an effect on a 3-4 day period out of an entire period of 6-9 months are extremely low.

I don't need to kill Harry, just ignore him. He's not the only one who has evil to stop.

Offline blues.soldier

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • The Action Point-- Gaming from a military perspective
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »
I don't need to kill Harry, just ignore him. He's not the only one who has evil to stop.

And there's the crux of it, ladies and gentlemen.

Game on.
"What ever you do, do it for love. If you keep to that, your path will never wander so far from the light that you can never return.”--Uriel

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »
So the big bad evil guy is SkyNet?  :P

Terminators + a magical setting = HIT Marks. Just saying.