Author Topic: Yet Another 'My Character Idea' Topic  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
Yet Another 'My Character Idea' Topic
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:51:23 AM »
Now, this is the first character idea I've ever done, and I'll admit it's a bit rough. Also, when looking over the powers, keep in mind that he's not actually who the Fae Lady is making him like - it's just how she thinks who she made him to be is like. ;) And I'd probably choose to rack up some more Fists stunts as soon as possible. The final two adventures are left open for when he finds a party, of course.

Charles Emerson
Feet in the Water (6 refresh, 20 skill points, skill cap at Great)

Final Refresh: 1

High Concept: Real, Live, Fae-Formed Saotome Ranma
Trouble: I never back down. I gotta win.

Physical Stress: OOOO(OO)
Social Stress: OOO
Mental Stress: OOO

Powers
Human Form [+1 Involuntary Change] - Charles Emerson either takes the form of a muscled, handsome male, albeit with thick, square glasses or that of a lithe, beautiful female, with the added bonus of sexy glasses - when he can find them. Any time he is splashed with cold water, he changes into his female form and any time he is splashed with hot water, he resumes his male form.

While in the male form, he has the following power:
Inhuman Strength [-2] - +3 Might when lifting or breaking inanimate things. +1 to Might when grappling. When Might modifies another skill, always add +1. +2 damage to muscular force hits.

While in the female form, his Might lowers by one, his Alertness raises by one, and he has the following power:
Inhuman Speed [-2] - +4 for Alertness for initiative. All Athletics at +1, +2 when sprinting. May move one zone without taking -1 for the supplemental action when moving as a part of another physical activity. -2 Difficulty from moving when rolling Stealth.

While in either form, he has the following powers:
Inhuman Recovery [-2] - Can recover from all physical consequences (except extreme) with only time. Recovers from physical consequences as if they were one lower. Endurance never restricts due to lack of rest and you make skip a night of sleep with no ill effects. Once per combat scene, you may clear away a mild physical consequence as a supplemental action.
Inhuman Toughness [-2] Armor:1 against all physical stress. Two additional boxes of physical stress.
- The Catch [+3]: Standard Fae catches, due to way in which he recieves the power.

Stunts
Tough Stuff: The stuff of blunt trauma — fists, sticks, and stones—pose little trouble for you. Against such things, you have a natural Armor:1 (which stacks with other forms of protection). This does not apply to things like blades, bullets, and burns, but it makes you a beast in a burly brawl.

Skills
Great (+4): Fists
Good (+3): Might, Athletics
Fair (+2): Alertness, Discipline, Endurance
Average (+1): Presence, Conviction, Lore, Scholarship

Background
Aspect: Just Another Otaku

There isn't really a lot to say about Charles Emerson when he was growing up. Boy grows up. Boy likes math, reading, and science. Boy becomes geek. Geek finds anime, manga, and the promised land - Japan! Geek becomes otaku. Sure, there was other stuff that happened, but do you really want to know about his mom's basement flooding?

What Shaped You?
Aspect: God-damned Wishes

And then there was that one time he ran after that beautiful woman - a woman so beautiful that Charles was absolutely convinced that she had escaped from one of his books, DVDs or illicitly downloaded MPEGs. He chased after her, at a distance, but she was always one step ahead. And then he was nowhere he knew and she was there and told him that she could fulfill one wish for him - and he wished to be one of his anime heroes ...

First Adventure: Wild-Fae Warrior
Aspect: Faerie Gifts come with Faerie Debts

The beautiful woman, who Charles has now figured out is a Sidhe of questionable morals and motivations, has arranged a task for him. A pig-demon warrior threatens her land and she offers a contestant in combat mortal. Will Charles be able to beat the scarily strong combatant or will he fall on the field of battle?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:20:08 AM by Falar »
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another 'My Character Idea' Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:01:58 AM »
I hate to say it, but that's not quite Human Form...or maybe it is. The two forms are equal, but each only has one power...hmm. I'd rule that as giving Human Form to each of the powers seperately. Though to balance that, even as small as the changes between the two forms are, they're actual skill changes and thus require Beast Change. So the cost remains the same, more or less.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:15:14 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 04:49:46 AM »
Actually, if you read the text of what it does, I didn't take a +1 for having a non-powered human form. I took a +1 for the Involuntary Change aspect of the power. It would probably be more accurate to make it just say Involuntary Change instead of Human Form, but that's where Involuntary Change is.

Edited to Redact.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:10:36 AM by Falar »
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:55:10 AM »
All right, I'll buy that. You still need Beast Change if you want to alter skills though.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
Also, it does say that as long as you have at least 2 points of powers locked away by the change, you still gain the +1 from the basic Human Form. It's actually four points locked away, but only 2 at a time.

Conversely, I could have gone with Modular Ability, but only being able to use Inhuman Strength and Inhuman Speed possibly gotten a +1 if I used good GM-fu because those are the only two options that this particular application of Modular Abilities would allow. And another +1 because it's an Involuntary Change. Possibly. If I could go this option, I'd take another stunt, probably Fists.

Actually, going with a singular form of Modular Ability, specialized to the character as above, complete with a merely cosmetic human change (-0 as in Human Guise) other than the skill reshuffle, might be enough to add in the Skill Shuffle trapping of Beast Change and True Shapeshifting instead of getting a +1 for those two being the only two option ...

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
small typo on the gender switching portion...says that both types of water turns the character "male".

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Thanks, Soulcatcha. Got that fixed up now.

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
Falar, how much refresh does this character have left?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
Umm, I'm not Falar, but:

Charles Emerson
Feet in the Water (6 refresh, 20 skill points, skill cap at Great)

Final Refresh: 1

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
Umm, I'm not Falar, but:

Oops, missed that.

So, I see -8 and +4 for a total of -4 refresh, or 2 refresh left. What am I missing?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »
Oops, missed that.

So, I see -8 and +4 for a total of -4 refresh, or 2 refresh left. What am I missing?

The Mortal Stunt.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
You are missing the mortal stunt he also took
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
Yup, the Mortal Stunt. -1 for every Mortal Stunt that you take.

Which I would axe if I tried to get this into a game and the GM told me one of the catches didn't apply right or that there was a need for some other Power to do the skill reshuffle.

Or I would possibly take out the skill reshuffle as it's not terribly important.

Offline arentol

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
Although you are not using Human Form exactly as written, I think you are paying the right number of points for what you are getting in power, so if I were your GM I would allow it.  No carrying around a thermos of hot water at all times though!

The main thing I see on the character that doesn't make sense is that he doesn't have at least one point of scholarship based on his early interest in math, reading, science, and his (presumed) ability to speak japanese. For a "geek" he also just seems awful combat-skill heavy so you might want to think about that.

At the very least I would suggest changing to a 4,3,3,2,2,2,1,1,1,1 skill setup, adding level 1 scholarship and investigation to his skills.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »
I was actually thinking of that today while I was telemarketing and considering that I needed to do something along those lines to actually make it work. Although I'd probably go with a point of Lore rather than a point of Investigation as that would make a bit more sense with how the character would actually work ...

Also, I figure that the origin story and background is at least two or three years before what will be the date after the first three adventures. And this is what he has developed into. Which actually makes it being only a +1 for the pair of them work out okay.

As for the Human Form - remember that I'm not taking a +1 for the main human form. I'm actually taking a +0 for that and then adding a +1 for Involuntary Change for a total of +1.

And personally, I figure that keeping a thermos of hot water on him would count as turning down a compel from his High Concept, so I'd have to pay a Fate point each and every time I did that. Just to be true to the concept of the character and how the game works.