Author Topic: Angels in the Dresden Universe  (Read 7672 times)

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Angels in the Dresden Universe
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »
There is another one, I'm pretty sure. Just read the books. Suffice, there is a guardian angel (maybe) that has never made an appearance and is purely a plot device. We know nothing about it, otherwise.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
Angels, fallen or otherwise aren't allowed to directly act in human affairs except in special cases
(click to show/hide)
.  They can provide some behind the scenes assistance to certain people, like champions of God.  The suggestion that everyone else is giving about playing a champion of God is spot on.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
You could also consider playing a Scion of a celestial being and maybe combine that with True Believer or Champion of God.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
I have an idea for an angelic scion who uses the Changeling model; the more he accepts from his heritage to fight the good fight the less human he becomes until BLAM, ascension to angel-hood and off to work on The Big Picture for The Big Guy.

Maybe some of these half-angel types work to influence people to live good lives, a bit like in the movie version of Constantine.   Which means there's other types working on the nasty side of people...
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »
Half-angels are part of Hebrew lore. Look up Nephilim, though God has in theory forbidden their creation, and, as portrayed, I very much doubt they'd ever ascend to true angel-hood. Still, as a Scion concept, it's pretty darn neat.

Offline rodnunley

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Good tips all around.  I guess I need to ease up on reading the books so I can finish reading the RPG book before attempting to make a character.  :)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
Half-angels are part of Hebrew lore. Look up Nephilim, though God has in theory forbidden their creation, and, as portrayed, I very much doubt they'd ever ascend to true angel-hood. Still, as a Scion concept, it's pretty darn neat.
Adds another character to the list of possible future characters
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

This is all making me think of Dogma. Loki and Bartleby as Scions, gaining more an more angelic abilities and features as they movie continues. Then in the end they Choose mortal.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 10:41:17 PM »
That's a good comparison.  And the Nephilim (with fields or otherwise) are definitely the sort of direction to move in too.

Yeah, they might never achieve full Choir status, but even Heaven needs talented footsoldiers, right?

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
I think angelic scions would be very rare.  Angels marrying (or even just mating with) humans may tread on free will.  Yeah, a person has the choice (presumably) to reject the advances of an angel, but can we expect angels to be anything less than perfect?

The morally gray (and black) guys don't care about free will or choice (except when it benefits them, see the two Mortal Knights of Faerie) which makes their scions much more common (with Changelings the most common due to the proximity of Faerie).  If demons could leave the Nevernever as easily as fae (my assumption is that demons have to be summoned) there would probably be a lot of demon issue in the world.

Heaven has little need of its own foot soldiers.  Angels seem to be sent to recruit whoever they deem fit to serve.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »
angles having children with mortals is the traditional way for them to Fall from grace.  Their offspring are called Nephlim and are the primary reason God did the flood.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:14 AM »
I think angelic scions would be very rare.  Angels marrying (or even just mating with) humans may tread on free will.  Yeah, a person has the choice (presumably) to reject the advances of an angel, but can we expect angels to be anything less than perfect?
Heh, the human mom/dad could have the aspect Touched by an Angel :D

And a scion of an angel, the Nephilim, I think would be one of the few and far between examples of a child born out of love, out at least consensual sex,  rather than force in the case of most Changelings or demonic scions.

Offline Kelvor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:17 AM »
Remember, being a descendent of an angel doesn't necessarily make you a good person. ;)

Funny to see the Nephilim pop up in a Dresden RPG context again. One of the big bads of my last Dresdenverse game was an angelic descendant trying to locate a Blackened Denariius. I found it fun to have a group of mercenaries led by this individual who called themselves the Nephilim, and whose insignia was a sword with wings. I intended that to be a clue that this dude might be more than ordinary, as a subtle clue of slightly obscure biblical lore, but I don't think any of my players figured it out.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »
Heh, the human mom/dad could have the aspect Touched by an Angel :D

And a scion of an angel, the Nephilim, I think would be one of the few and far between examples of a child born out of love, out at least consensual sex,  rather than force in the case of most Changelings or demonic scions.

While I can see it with demonic scions I can't with Changelings, at least not every time.  Sure, trolls and ogres, but people could be easily swayed by a particularly lovely sidhe into a night of passion, especially if they didn't know the true nature of their lover.  With the right glamour it would work for uglier Fae as well.  Even the ugliest troll might be looking for a little love in the mortal realm!

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »
I really like the idea of a Nephilim, if you where to give him inhuman toughness what sort of Catch do you give the son child, decendant of an angel.....