Author Topic: Angels in the Dresden Universe  (Read 7751 times)

Offline rodnunley

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Angels in the Dresden Universe
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
I have read the first five books of the series (just started reading book 6 this week) and have a game coming up.  While thinking about what type of character that I wanted to make I began playing around with the idea of something involving an angel.

But having not read all of the books yet I was wondering if angels have come up yet in the series.

So ... have there been any angels in the Dresden books that I don't know about yet?  How were they handled? 

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Angels in the Dresden Universe
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
We have seen an Archangel
We've seen a ward put up by another Archangel
And we've heard about a Guardian Angel.

But thats' it.

Oh and several very vavavoom Fallen Angels.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
There's an Archangel, but do you really want to be spoiled?

And what do you mean handled? The question is a little... vague.

Offline rodnunley

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
We have seen an Archangel
We've seen a ward put up by another Archangel
And we've heard about a Guardian Angel.

But thats' it.

Oh and several very vavavoom Fallen Angels.

Yeah ... no spoilers to anything major please.  I was thinking about a guardian angel.  What was the deal with them?  Was it an actual angel or a human with magic or religious powers (like The Knight of the Cross)?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:23:32 PM by rodnunley »

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
I believe it was an actual angel. But, as far as this world goes, the Hosts don't really get too directly involved. Free will and all that.

Offline Sebastian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »
It's only 7 more books. Take a week off from work and you can catch up on your own :)
"I'm sorry, I'd like to help but I'm currently doing something very important. However, I could finish today and as soon as I'm done I'll do everything in my power to help you"
- How to promise help you have no intention of giving.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
We've seen one archangel, and I believe there's a reference to another in the books.

Traditionally, there are seven archangels (Book of Enoch and Book of Esdras). The names vary from tradition to tradition, though the first four of pretty consistent. Ones I can remember are Michael (warrior, guardian of the south and element of fire), Gabriel (messenger, guardian of the west and element of water), Raphael (healer, guardian of the east and element of air), Uriel (watcher, guardian of the north and element of earth), Remiel, Salathiel, Azrael (Angel of Death)

Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
Here is another approach, tell us what you want to play. Detail him story wise as much as you can and we can help you, tell you different ideas to get what you want.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
All we know about the Guardian Angel, was that he/she/it existed.  That's all there is in the book.
Pretty sure that's not really a spoiler.

Offline rodnunley

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
Here is another approach, tell us what you want to play. Detail him story wise as much as you can and we can help you, tell you different ideas to get what you want.

Fair enough.  :)

I have a couple of ideas and was hoping to glean some incite from how they've been shown in the books before settling on one specific idea.

I was thinking of playing a guardian angel.  

After thinking about it for a while I thought that it might be more fun to play a human who was assigned Guardian status by an angel.  My thought was that Guardian Angels are not always angels but human representitives who are given abilities and items of power to act as Guardians on earth for the Heavens.

Another thought was that my character would not technically be a guardian angel but carried an item that was imbued with the soul of an angel (or a protective spirit (ala Bob) that would supply the powers and abilities for my human host character.

Offline rodnunley

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:45:43 PM »
All we know about the Guardian Angel, was that he/she/it existed.  That's all there is in the book.
Pretty sure that's not really a spoiler.

Which books was that in?  I may skip ahead to read it.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »
1.) You don't want to skip ahead, trust me.

2.) For the guardian idea, I could see using a Champion of God and then have the High Concept be something like "Divine Guardian" and then have a trouble concept of "I protect X." Then tailor the powers and other aspects to fit with that idea.

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
Fair enough.  :)

I have a couple of ideas and was hoping to glean some incite from how they've been shown in the books before settling on one specific idea.

I was thinking of playing a guardian angel.  

After thinking about it for a while I thought that it might be more fun to play a human who was assigned Guardian status by an angel.  My thought was that Guardian Angels are not always angels but human representitives who are given abilities and items of power to act as Guardians on earth for the Heavens.

Another thought was that my character would not technically be a guardian angel but carried an item that was imbued with the soul of an angel (or a protective spirit (ala Bob) that would supply the powers and abilities for my human host character.

That is frankly just the basic Champion of God template. protecting people and showing up at the right time to save them screams Guide my Hand, If you want an Item of Power say a breastplate that gives you Supernatural Toughness with the Catch of Innocence. so if the bad guys convince the innocent to attack you, you are vulnerable, or if their weapons are coated wiht the blood of the innocent and you have already failed in your duty your armor doesn't work. all in all a -6 refresh character before mortal stunts, not to shabby.

Edit: Saedar beat me too it, great minds think alike i guess.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:27 PM »
Which books was that in?  I may skip ahead to read it.
If it's what I think it is, I think it was in Proven Guilty... but it was more of a passing comment.

Unless there was another incident that I'm overlooking?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
If it's what I think it is, I think it was in Proven Guilty... but it was more of a passing comment.

Unless there was another incident that I'm overlooking?
No that's the one.
You REALLY don't want to skip over especially since it's a 1 line throw away comment.