Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355163 times)

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
Me too.  I'll never deny that I can overanalyze the smallest of details... ;D

Let me split that hair one more time...

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2007, 04:05:58 PM »
Is this in the time line?

Harry found Mister 3 years BSF, SF paperback p88
There is no such thing as just a cat.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
Is this in the time line?

Harry found Mister 3 years BSF, SF paperback p88

Yup, it's already there.  Thanks, though!

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »
I noticed that there was a question mark next to July as the month for Proven Guilty. In case no one else has I confirmed it, it is July
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Beamer

• Conversationalist
  • Balance is the ultimate good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2007, 08:08:20 PM »
I don't know if this matters but if Harry was born it 1974 it would mean he was born under a Blue Moon.

Offline Dellma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2007, 08:59:07 PM »
Someone else mentioned it, and it bears repeating. Not that this timeline isn't already expansive and impressive (thank you for working on it) but wouldn't it be good to include Marcone on there?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:17:33 PM by Dellma »

"Fire is the simplest thing you can do. All the real wizards learn that in the first couple of weeks and move on up from there"

- Harry Dresden

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2007, 09:14:24 PM »
Someone else mentioned it, and it bears repeating. Not that this timeline isn't already expansive and impressive (thank you for working on it) but wouldn't it be good to include Marcone on there?

(the incident regarding Beckitt's daughter, Marcone's rise to power, encounters with Dresden, becoming a Freelord in the Unseelie Accords)

You're right.  I've held off posting White Night-related dates out of courtesy to those that haven't read the book yet, but now that we have the cool spoiler tag, I should probably do so!

Offline Dellma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
Good point, I held off joining these forums until today to avoid spoilers, and there I go just slipping them in, I modified my post, sorry and thanks, hehe.

"Fire is the simplest thing you can do. All the real wizards learn that in the first couple of weeks and move on up from there"

- Harry Dresden

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
Jim had no specific time frame in mind for Vignette, though I like to place it after SK, noting the reference to unicorns not being fun and prancy.

I guess there's not much point in debate over the subject, since there was no intended time period for it, but I think the Vignette could have happened after DM, too, from this quote of Bob's:

"Okay, fine. Suppose we throw intelligence to the winds and only print the truth. 'Vampire slayer, ghost remover, faerie fighter, werewolf exterminator, police consultant, foe of the footsoldiers of Hell.'"

The "footsoldiers of Hell" phrase might be a reference to the Denarians. Of course, given their usual temperament and dastardly deeds, I suppose the term could be applied to most of Harry's enemies, but it seems to apply most readily to the Bad Penny Brigade.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Aluman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »
For what its worth Vlad Tepesh is Vlad Dracula, whose father is Vlad II Dracul, (Vlad the Dragon) commonly referede to as just Dracul.  He was born c.1390, and ruled wallachia until his death in 1447 (minus a little bit of space in 1442), his long reign is clearly evident of a hard and ugly man (by comparsion his son who struck fear into many with his impalements only ruled for about six year uniterupted. I know in BR McCoy says specifically not Dracula, but Dracul.

Offline Dzango

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2007, 03:18:04 PM »
From Death Masks: I went down to a nearby diner for breakfast, and asked the waitress to turn on the news. She did.

"… extraordinary event reminiscent of the science-fiction horror stories around the turn of the millennium, what appeared to be an asteroid fell from space and impacted just outside the village of Casaverde in Honduras." The screen flickered to an aerial shot of an enormous, smoking hole in the ground, and a half-mile-wide circle of trees that had been blasted flat

I noticed this during a recent rereading, and I wander if it means something. Death Masks was published 2003, and by my account that is still the turn of the millennium, so how can this event (the fall of the satelite) be reminiscent to some stories written during the same time (probably refers to "Armageddon" , "Deep impact" and similar). Reminiscent in my understanding means remembering something that happened in the past, and not that recently too. So that means that the time in the book is at least a few years ahead of real time. Am I wrong?

Offline Griffworks

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Griffworks ShipYards
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »
Nothing personal, but I think you're over thinking the use of the word reminiscent.

Dictionary.com entry for reminiscent

rem·i·nis·cent      / Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rem-uh-nis-uhnt]

–adjective 1. awakening memories of something similar; suggestive (usually fol. by of): His style of writing is reminiscent of Melville's. 
2. characterized by or of the nature of reminiscence. 
3. given to reminiscence: a reminiscent old sailor. 
It just means something that reminds you of past events, usually in your own life experiences. 

BTW, what I originally got out of that line from the announcer is that it was more a reference to around the 1900's, to be honest.  Basically, a reference to H.G. Wells' novel War of the Worlds with the description of something falling to earth.  I guess Mr. Butcher might well have meant that - or he might have been referencing the movies you mentioned - Armageddon, Deep Impact, etc...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:16:23 PM by Griffworks »
Jeffrey Griffin

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
BTW, what I originally got out of that line from the announcer is that it was more a reference to around the 1900's, to be honest.  Basically, a reference to H.G. Wells' novel War of the Worlds with the description of something falling to earth.  I guess Mr. Butcher might well have meant that - or he might have been referencing the movies you mentioned - Armageddon, Deep Impact, etc...

Maybe the announcer is the sort of person who has only the vaguest notion of SF as a field and confuses Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein; there are certainly a fair number of those around in reality.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »
Nothing personal, but I think you're over thinking the use of the word reminiscent.
It just means something that reminds you of past events, usually in your own life experiences. 

1900's = turn of the century, not millennium. :D

Good observation though, Dzango.  Definitely worth thinking about.

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2007, 07:46:31 PM »
Where's Molly's age given in White Night?  Is there a chance that it's an unreliable narrator?
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]