Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355156 times)

Offline chadu

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Sock Monkey Press
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2007, 06:04:50 AM »
Fool Moon, page 222.  Malcolm Dresden died, specifically, of a brain aneurism.  I knew I wasn't imagining things. :)  (well, of course there is the whole withheld information of Chauncy, but...)

Do we get his name as Malcolm there? On my research project, I'm about 20% into SK, and haven't come across a ref I recall for Harry's dad's name.

CU
Chad Underkoffler
Atomic Sock Monkey Press

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »
I just ran a search, and the only reference I can find is in chapter 11 of Dead Beat, when dream!Malcolm visits Harry.  I'm stunned.  I could have sworn I remembered other references to his name.

My father sat across the fire from me.

Malcolm Dresden was a tall, spare man with dark hair and steady blue eyes. His jeans were as heavily worn as his leather hiking boots, and I could see that he was wearing his favorite red-and-white flannel shirt under his fleece-lined hunting jacket. He leaned forward and stirred the pot, then took a sip from the spoon.

Offline chadu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2007, 06:30:23 PM »
I just ran a search, and the only reference I can find is in chapter 11 of Dead Beat, when dream!Malcolm visits Harry.  I'm stunned.  I could have sworn I remembered other references to his name.

Nope.

Glad it's not just me!

(30% thru SK)

CU
Chad Underkoffler
Atomic Sock Monkey Press

Offline Divinity

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2007, 01:21:41 AM »

Do you have the books on your comp so you can just ctrl-f?  I guess that's pretty handy for stuff like this.  I wondered how you found all the passages that you quote in the forums.

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »
Hey I don't recall it in any of the books, so maybe Mr. Butcher has answered this before.  How old are Malcolm and Margaret when they meet/get married/have Harry?  Just a little curious.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »
Hey Ms timeline gnome  ;D

just a thought-- you might want to adjust Carlos BD a little bit back; In DB Carlos mentions ( while on Sue I think) that he was an apprentice at Harry's trail for Justin's murder. According to the timeline as is, that would make him about 8-10 years old at that point?

of course, knowing the Merlin, he might have invited 10 year olds to an execution.

thanks
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2007, 05:02:57 AM »
Do you have the books on your comp so you can just ctrl-f?  I guess that's pretty handy for stuff like this.  I wondered how you found all the passages that you quote in the forums.

Yup. :D

just a thought-- you might want to adjust Carlos BD a little bit back; In DB Carlos mentions ( while on Sue I think) that he was an apprentice at Harry's trail for Justin's murder. According to the timeline as is, that would make him about 8-10 years old at that point?

I asked Jim about it, and he said Carlos was referring to Harry's trial in "Summer Knight."  Check out his post here.

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2007, 12:24:53 AM »
Unless Jim just overlooked the fact that Copperfield changed his name in 1974,  I'm having a really hard time seeing how Harry could have been born before that date.  Even if Harry's father was involved in choosing the name, no one in their right mind would name a child that until the change was official.  That would make Harry 26ish in 2000 which seems about right from what Jim has said and my comment below.

The other problem I have with the timeline is the idea that that SF could have been as early as 1994, considering Harry's remark about the new millennium in SF (p 3, paperback)
There is no such thing as just a cat.

Offline Drytchnath

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2007, 03:38:29 AM »
In DM pg. 343 Harry tells Marcone that St. Louis is the hub for TWA Airlines.  TWA Airlines was bought out by American Airlines in April of 2001, so unless this is a simple thing that he overlooked DM could not have occured before April of 2001.  The book was printed in late 2003.

Offline chadu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2007, 04:17:58 AM »
Yup. :D

I asked Jim about it, and he said Carlos was referring to Harry's trial in "Summer Knight."  Check out his post here.

DB, p. 290 = Carlos in brown robe, during a Council meeting (probably SK).

DB, p. 404 = "A lot of them, like me, were apprentices when you were first tried after Justin DuMorne's death."

CU
Chad Underkoffler
Atomic Sock Monkey Press

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »
Based on chadu's post, I'm a bit confused...

... you might want to adjust Carlos BD a little bit back; In DB Carlos mentions ( while on Sue I think) that he was an apprentice at Harry's trail for Justin's murder. According to the timeline as is, that would make him about 8-10 years old at that point?  ...

DB, p. 290 = Carlos in brown robe, during a Council meeting (probably SK).

DB, p. 404 = "A lot of them, like me, were apprentices when you were first tried after Justin DuMorne's death."

The quote from DB p404 doesn't synch with Jim's response...

To me it looks like we're actually talking about two different things - one is where Harry remembers seeing Carlos, which is the Council meeting in SK (young apprentice hiding his grin).

The other is Carlos' knowledge of Harry (DB p 404) - he says he was an apprentice at the time of Harry's trial RE DuMorne, not that he was at the trial.  I haven't seen anything that says someone couldn't be an apprentice at age 8-10...  didn't Justin come get Harry when he was 10?  I would think that you can become an apprentice at whatever age your magic begins to manifest, as long as someone takes you in.

Maybe this is a moot point, since it's been a while since the last post.  I was just trying to work through the references and Jim's response.  Sometimes it helps if I spell it out.  (Bad pun not intended)

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »

To me it looks like we're actually talking about two different things - one is where Harry remembers seeing Carlos, which is the Council meeting in SK (young apprentice hiding his grin).

The other is Carlos' knowledge of Harry (DB p 404) - he says he was an apprentice at the time of Harry's trial RE DuMorne, not that he was at the trial.  I haven't seen anything that says someone couldn't be an apprentice at age 8-10...  didn't Justin come get Harry when he was 10?  I would think that you can become an apprentice at whatever age your magic begins to manifest, as long as someone takes you in.

Maybe this is a moot point, since it's been a while since the last post.  I was just trying to work through the references and Jim's response.  Sometimes it helps if I spell it out.  (Bad pun not intended)

I agree with you that Jim's comment and the quote from Carlos seem a little at odds.  To me, the wording in Carlos' quote sounds like he was referring to the trial when Harry was 16.  I think we have to assume it was just a slip in word craft. 

On the other hand, yes, I think apprentices would start when their talent emerged for safety sake considering that the lack appears to produce warlocks on a regular basis. Harry and Elaine seemed to have blossomed around 10, somewhat later for Molly.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:19:23 PM by seiscat »

Offline chadu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »

It looks to me like we're talking about two separate things, too.

And Carlos is likely to be the sort of wizard that could've been apprenticed at age 8, given his skill level vs. youth...

CU

Chad Underkoffler
Atomic Sock Monkey Press

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
I agree with you that Jim's comment and the quote from Carlos seem a little at odds.  To me, the wording in Carlos' quote sounds like he was referring to the trial when Harry was 16.  I think we have to assume it was just a slip in word craft. 

On the other hand, yes, I think apprentices would start when their talent emerged for safety sake considering that the lack appears to produce warlocks on a regular basis. Harry and Elaine seemed to have blossomed around 10, somewhat later for Molly.

As much as we like to believe they are, writers are not infallible.  Jim spells out very clearly what he meant Carlos to say here:

Actually, he was talking about Harry's confrontation with the White Council in "Summer Knight." :)  If you read the scene with the Senior Council again, there's a mention of a young apprentice in a brown robe hiding a grin behind one hand.

IE, Ramirez. :)

Jim

There's really nothing more to it, alas.  Let's just say that Carlos misspoke in the excitement of getting to ride a dinosaur! :D

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »
Works for me!