Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355269 times)

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
Has anyone brought up the fact that Ortega can't be from the 13th/14th century because in changes Lea says that Arriana turned Ortega because he was a conquistador which would put him at the 16th century because the conquistadors didn't go to the Americas till then so Arriana would have no reason to hate conquistadors until then.

No, no one has. I was going to but was too lazy.
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2011, 04:29:20 AM »
Has anyone brought up the fact that Ortega can't be from the 13th/14th century because in changes Lea says that Arriana turned Ortega because he was a conquistador which would put him at the 16th century because the conquistadors didn't go to the Americas till then so Arriana would have no reason to hate conquistadors until then.

There's no reason Ortega wasn't already 200-300 years old at the time of the conquistadors. Or were you trying to say something else?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MegaPuff75

• Conversationalist
  • You say "vindictive jerk" like it's a bad thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 04, 2011, 05:31:13 AM »
Ortega would have needed to be a wizard (which he wasn't or he would have accepted to duel harry with power in DM) in order to be 200-300 when he was a conquistador. It is much more likely that he was born in the late 15th century and was turned by Arriana in the early 16th century instead of the 13th/14th century on the timeline.
DV MegaPuff75 v1.2 YR6 FR0.3 BK++ RP++ !JB TH++ WG CL SW BC+ MC----
http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?54:70:18:23:5:6:22:26:19:27:9:37:16:41:18:28:5:5:
Quantum Physics: proof the universe was built by the lowest bidder

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
There's no reason Ortega wasn't already 200-300 years old at the time of the conquistadors. Or were you trying to say something else?

Well, normal people don't get to be 200-300 years old.
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 04, 2011, 02:00:15 PM »
Good points, folks. That oughta teach me not to post when I should be in bed. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
Good points, folks. That oughta teach me not to post when I should be in bed. :)

*throws marshmallows at Shecky*
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 06, 2011, 05:55:08 AM »
From Ghost Story Chapter 4:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
Updated the timeline with all the stuff you brilliant folks have come up with in the last few weeks.  Thanks again!

Praeceps

« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:44 AM »
@Priscellie: Could you remove the bit about Harry being born in 1972 from his personal timeline?

So you don't have to search for it, here is my point about it.
Harry being a year younger than Jim has nothing to do with Harry being born a year after Jim. If Jim wrote the first book when he was 26 and Harry was 25 that would make Harry a year younger than Jim when it was written and since the books are usually set about a year apart and almost always released a year apart that gap in age would always remain relatively the same. The books could have been set in 1225 DR (the Forgotten Realms calender) or in 15000 B.C.E. and Harry's age difference from Jim would remain the same.

@Priscellie: Note that this mistake of logic is still reflected in Harry's personal timeline.

Edit: Also
The next person who uses "reference" as a verb will be actioned with a fonging by the low-hanging fruit. ;D

(... just kidding, in case I'm being too deadpan. :) )
"Uh, betray us, and I will fong you, until your insides are out, your outsides are in, your entrails will become your extrails I will w-rip... all the p... ung.... Pain, lots of pain." -A Knight's Tale (I love that movie)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:57:38 PM by Bastian »

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2011, 01:54:11 AM »
@Priscellie: Could you remove the bit about Harry being born in 1972 from his personal timeline?

Removed!

Praeceps

« Reply #415 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »
Removed!
Thanks.

So here is another rehash of my additions/changes list (you've really destroyed it :)).

Necessary Changes:
Some of the earliest dates are out of order.

I've been reading over the timeline closely and the individual timelines need to be updated from the information in the main timeline. For example, Harry and Murphy's ages have been established for Storm Front but their timelines don't reflect that.

The identifier in Side Jobs says Aftermath takes place an hour or two after the end of Changes, instead of the 45 minutes which Jim stated it was. Since the hour or two is the most recent estimate (and also the published estimate) and 45 minutes was stated iirc while he was still writing, the hour or two is more likely to be the correct one.

Minor Changes
Quote from: Chuck Chuck Razool
At least 25 BSF Susan Rodriguez is born. She's the only one old enough to rent a van in Fool Moon.

I'm not sure if this one is important enough except in a timeline of Luccio's life but during the Camp Kaboom segment Luccio says "it had been a hundred and forty years since I'd put up with either sexual desire or a monthly cycle."

Quote from: Fool Moon pg63
The last major loup-garou rampage happened around Gevaudan, France, back in the sixteenth century.

You could add the flashback from AAAA Wizardry to the timeline (see below).
Hey Dresdenites,
I've been trying to place AAAA Wizardry into the Dresden chronology, and here's what I have so far:

7 ASF, May- White Night. The Paranet is formed soon after.
8 ASF, circa May- earliest time for the flashback from AAAA.  Dresden mentions the Paranet existing for a year.
9 ASF, circa May- the earliest Harry's narration to the young Wardens can occur, since it takes Megan most of a year to recover from the events of the flashback.
11 ASF, October- Changes- the story logically takes place before here due to said novel's events.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 09, 2011, 02:16:58 AM »

I'm not getting why you think that because Jim writes Harry as a year younger than him for some of the series he will necessarily continue to do so.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Praeceps

« Reply #417 on: July 09, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
I'm not getting why you think that because Jim writes Harry as a year younger than him for some of the series he will necessarily continue to do so.
I wasn't saying that nor do I think that. My only point is that Jim stating that Harry is 9 months younger than him does not necessarily mean that Harry was born nine months after Jim. When I said "always" I only meant to refer to the currently released books and the likely hood of the trend continuing. I was typing quickly and should have chosen better phrasing.

Offline Tanstar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 11, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »
Not to change the tack of the conversation but according to this time line Mister is a least 13 (that's how long Harry has had him) and still VERY spry.  Either some of Harry's magic longevity is rubbing off or like Mouse he's no ordinary pet.  Given how Mouse defers to him I wonder what's the deal.  Although the Za Lord Guard say they have to defend the brownies from him so maybe he's normal and important character pet live a long time in DV. 

My current cat is around that age but would be taken for a kitten by her size, looks, and actions.  In the past few months she's started to sleep more, but she still plays, hunts (catching birds and the like without her front claws), and runs like she did in her youth.
Harry Dresden. Saving the world, one act of random destruction at a time. - "The Warrior" Mean Streets

Offline Tanstar

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 11, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
At least 25 BSF Susan Rodriguez is born. She's the only one old enough to rent a van in Fool Moon.

I've waded through 19 pages wondering if anyone mentioned Susan's birth.  Kind of important and should at least have a range listed.
Harry Dresden. Saving the world, one act of random destruction at a time. - "The Warrior" Mean Streets