Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1127015 times)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1560 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »
so anyway...

my list so far:

Harry Dresden: Alexis Denisof/Michael Weatherly
Susan Rodriguez: Sarah Shahi
Thomas Raith: Matt Bomer
Marcone: Mark Harmon

:)

yeah, my recent list for my own perfect casting. I'm still looking for the rest for me, lol.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline kennedy_c

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 20, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
Okay -  Bomer as Thomas

But, Rosario Dawson or Michelle Rodriguez  as Susan

Much as I hate to admit it, Reese Witherspoon could be Murph - if she buffed a bit
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:11:35 AM by kennedy_c »

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 20, 2010, 01:13:46 AM »
Adam Baldwin would ROCK as Michael. With the right script, of course.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 20, 2010, 02:05:33 AM »
Since a few liked my wife & my pick for Harry (Lucas Bryant)
Morgan - Viggo Mortensen
Nicodemus - Alfred Molina
Marcone - Eric Bana
Michael - Adam Baldwin
Butters - David Krumholtz
Ebeneezer - Wilford Brimley
Bob's voice - I actually liked Terrence Mann from the TV episodes

Some of these I haven't seen but I like the idea of Viggo as Morgan. For some reason I have a hard time finding anyone who lives up to my expectations for him. (Its funny...I didn't consider myself a Morgan fan but given
(click to show/hide)
and how particular I am about his casting I think I must be.) Eric Bana would rock as Marcone...although I might worry he is a little too young. (Still, I think I could overlook that.) ;) I'm afraid I can't agree about Adam Baldwin...maybe I see him too much for his roles as Casey and Jayne but I just can't picture him wielding the sword whose name means love. Just a dumb fan's opinion.  ;)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 20, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
I'll throw out another possibility for susan if nobody has named her yet

Sarah Shahi (she played Dani Reese on Life)

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 20, 2010, 02:31:38 AM »

I think she's been thrown around a little I hadn't seen a picture of her yet. Great casting! I hadn't yet found a Susan I could cheer for but she may just be the one. Very nice!

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1566 on: August 20, 2010, 02:48:51 AM »
IShe's on my list for Susan. I thought she'd be perfect, especially when I was watching her on Life. Both for pre-and post GP.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 20, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »
Absolutely.
But it does happen.
Men's average salaries are still higher than women's for the same jobs.

Actually, that's mostly a myth these days.  Women earn less in the aggregate than men by some measures, but when you adjust for number of hours worked and compare the same job to the same job, the gap mostly vanishes.

And in Arizona you have to carry papers now to prove your a citizen.

Again, not true, that law simply doesn't say that.  The law might be a good or a bad idea, but the popular idea of it produced by the news coverage and political spinning is totally fallacious.

Remember, just because you saw a news report about something doesn't mean it's always the truth. There's an old saw that when you read a story about a subject you're familiar with, you suddenly begin to lose trust on the other coverage because the coverage of what you know about is so full of mistakes and errors and omissions.

Enough about that, though.  I just think certain misconceptions should be pointed out whenever encountered precisely because they are so eagerly spread and believed.

Back on main topic:

IMO John is too dry.

Plus he is a little pass the age Harry should be at the beginning.

That's an unavoidable problem with casting a series as long the DF, which is spread out over a period of many books and many years.  He's too old to play Harry in SF or FM, but he's too young to play him in Changes. Same problem applies to any of the 'mortal' characters like Harry and Karrin (Harry's long lifespan hasn't kicked in enough yet to matter for our purposes).

The immortal characters are easier, there's no problem for the actor to look just the same in SF or Changes if s/he is playing Lara or Nicodemus.

(It crops up in movies, too.  For a famous example, Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O'Hara in the move Gone With The Wind, and looks too mature to be a sixteen year old at the start of the movie (Scarlett's age in 1860), but looks more believable for her supposed age at the end, which was 28.)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:06:53 AM by LordDresden »

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 20, 2010, 02:58:13 AM »
IShe's on my list for Susan. I thought she'd be perfect, especially when I was watching her on Life. Both for pre-and post GP.

I knew I'd seen the name mentioned here! :) Great call. I haven't seen her act so I'll have to take your word for it in that department but she's got the look for sure. Sultry, looks generally like the right ethnic background (but I guess that is kind of controversial right now so I didn't say that ;)) and looks like she could
(click to show/hide)
I have to say she is probably the most solidly cast in my mind...I should have looked her up sooner. Post your full list of casting choices and I'll look them up when I have time. (I just started college so be warned, we're looking at a few days at least.)  ;)

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 20, 2010, 05:12:30 AM »

I could see it if she tanned and bronzed up for the part, right now she just doesn't quite fit my mental image of Susan.  Now my favorite for Susan would probably be everyone's favorite deputy, Erica Cerra, but I'm positive she's been brought up before.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1570 on: August 20, 2010, 06:17:13 AM »
Since a few liked my wife & my pick for Harry (Lucas Bryant)

A few more. . .

Morgan - Viggo Mortensen
Nicodemus - Alfred Molina
Marcone - Eric Bana
Michael - Adam Baldwin
Butters - David Krumholtz
Ebeneezer - Wilford Brimley
Bob's voice - I actually liked Terrence Mann from the TV episodes

still need a Murph, though

I actually have my listing a little like this:

Michael - Viggo Mortenson
Marcone (still juggling with the possibility of Ray Wise for this. Maybe Bruce Campbell?)
Nicodemus - Mark Sheppard
Morgan - Clancy Brown
Butters - Justin Long (on _MoSeS's suggestion)
Ebenezer - Jim Beaver
Bob's voice is a toss up between what Shecky suggests (Jim Butcher' himself) and the voice of the audiobooks, James Marsters. Both of them do a superb job.

Still uncertain on my Murphy pick. I'm content with Sarah Michelle Gellar, but others like the idea of Kristen Bell.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 20, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »
Harry's long lifespan hasn't kicked in enough yet to matter for our purposes

I never thought much about this, but Harry would have lived longer because he is a wizard, but would he age normally.

I think there was a discussion about this already where it was stated that one of the wizards that was 100 something years old looked like he was 100 something years old.

So I guess at 40 he would look 40, and so on.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 01:10:52 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1572 on: August 20, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
I never thought much about this, but Harry would have lived longer because he is a wizard, but would he age normally.

I think there was a discussion about this already where it was stated that one of the wizards that was 100 something years old looked like he was 100 something years old.

So I guess at 40 he would look 40, and so on.

That might not be entirely true. We know that Margaret LeFay, thanks to WOJ,
(click to show/hide)
when she had Harry. And thanks to Blood Rites, we know that she still appeared like a woman in her 40s or so when she left the soul gaze connection whatchathingy for Harry and Thomas. I imagine that Ebenezar, for instance, looks like he IS 100 years old, despite the fact that he's in his third or fourth century. He may even look younger than that.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline dwilson1282

• Conversationalist
  • Bo-effin-yah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
from the way Ebenezer is described I think he appears to be a man in his mid sixties that has taken very, very good care of himself his whole life.
http://risingdragonmma.net/index.htm

As you file to your escape pods
I'll distract the alien hordes
And as I stare death in the face
I know my sins will take me to hell...

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 20, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
That might not be entirely true. We know that Margaret LeFay, thanks to WOJ,
(click to show/hide)
when she had Harry. And thanks to Blood Rites, we know that she still appeared like a woman in her 40s or so when she left the soul gaze connection whatchathingy for Harry and Thomas. I imagine that Ebenezar, for instance, looks like he IS 100 years old, despite the fact that he's in his third or fourth century. He may even look younger than that.

So that basically reinforces for us fans of seeing a younger actor play Harry, than a lot of the old guys that are being suggested.  :P