Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126917 times)

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1545 on: August 19, 2010, 03:48:10 PM »
so anyway...

my list so far:

Harry Dresden: Alexis Denisof/Michael Weatherly
Susan Rodriguez: Sarah Shahi
Thomas Raith: Matt Bomer
Marcone: Mark Harmon

:)
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 19, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »
The actor's ethnicity is practically a non-issue. Let's review the bidding:

Take, for example, the role of Susan in our hypothetical casting. She's described in a way that seems Latino, and her name is Hispanic (or Spanish). But what in that says she can only look one way? I personally know a lot of people who would qualify by both aspects, yet are in no way Latino by heritage. Should they be discriminated against because they aren't actually Latino?

From the other direction, heritage alone is utterly a non-qualifier in casting. My best bud's wife is Latina. But she has blonde hair and blue eyes. For any role requiring a generalized Latina look, she'd be a non-starter.

My point is simple: start casting people with their personal ethnic background as a requirement and you've moved into the realm of ethnic discrimination. Pure prejudice based on the past, not on ability to play the role. Now, I do believe that a scren adaptation of a book should at least try to capture the appearance of the character as described. Be that as it may, that's simply the ability to fit the role. Period.

Let's stop trying to separate actors (who are, last time I checked, still people) by their background and start trying to judge them solely on their ability to play the role as written.

I think we are on the same page, but you are missing my point.

I am not saying that a non-latina should be barred from being Susan.
I just think that they are enough really talented latina actresses that can capture the character, that it wouldn't be a problem to cast it authentically.
Personally my original choice for Susan was Kate Beckinsale.
Besides that the Susan on the TV show was a blonde white woman.

And yeah I know what you mean about blonde hair blue eyed latinas, I know one too.

So I think we agree, but I still think authenticity of ethnicity should be at least a factor when deciding.

for example a checklist when auditioning for a role.

1) does she capture the characters personality and attitude: check
2) does she look the part: check
3) does the actor accurately capture the characters cultural background: check

Not necessarily a requirement but a nice 2 out of 3 guide or something.

Being familiar with the culture can be crucial in some roles, maybe not so much here, but imagine an actor with no personal knowledge of a particular culture trying to portray a character of said culture, it could be very unconvincing.

Like whoever plays Murphy should be familiar with Catholic-Irish attitudes and traditions.

With Susan I don't think it matters so much, but with Shiro, Rashid, and LTW i think it's going to be a dissapointment to most fans if Shiro isn't some kind of Asian, and Rashid isn't some kind of Middle Eastern, and LTW doesn't look some kind of Native American.

But it doesn't mean that a talented actor couldn't pull it off even if they don't look the part exactly.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:42:37 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 19, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »
Let's not talk about the TV show. I'm talking about ideal casting in our heads. :D

Anyway, "authentically" is still a discriminatory word in this context. When it comes right down to it, looking at the PERSON'S own ethnicity as a factor in ANY kind of hiring is discriminatory. Ability to do the job is all there is.

Let me give you an example from real life. My job, and that of my team, is translation. English to French and French to English. We recently went on a search to hire a replacement for one of the team, who happened to be French and was our go-to person to do or to check translations from English into French (although the entire team is competent in either direction, it's always a smart move to have the person whose competency in the target language is the highest in the group do that translation or second-check that translation). We interviewed and tested a number of candidates, several of whom were entirely bilingual in speech... but none of them had the required competency to do the job well. The person we eventually chose and hired, who is our new go-to person on English-to-French translations, is not French. The ethnic backgrounds of the other candidates were utterly irrelevant; the only thing that counted was competency, pure and simple. And now, not one person on our team even has partial French ancestry. But we're all doing the job better than all the candidates we've seen for years. I'm not saying this to brag; I'm saying this to point out that competency in professional linguistics does NOT derive from ethnicity.

BTW, the person we hired? From Montenegro. And he LOOKS stereotypically French... at least, ONE of the stereotypes. Because there are several, depending on where in France they're from, what their background is, etc. But he doesn't have one bit of French in his ancestry. Neither do the rest of us. Study and competency ALWAYS trump ethnicity.

If you can play the role as written, it doesn't matter one damn bit who your grandparents and great-grandcestors were. And to say otherwise is still discriminatory.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 19, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
Absolutely.
But it does happen.
Men's average salaries are still higher than women's for the same jobs.
And in Arizona you have to carry papers now to prove your a citizen.
Now they want to pass that law in FL.
And even though discrimination is wrong,
I still think it's offensive to certain cultures when they aren't properly represented in film,
Wheter the actor is authentically of the background isn't really important,
but I think it would help more than it would hurt.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:55:32 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 19, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
I fundamentally disagree. There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. Hiring someone because of their grandpappy's origins is not only illegal but also wrong. Discrimination is discrimination when it has nothing to do with how well a person will or will not do a job.

That's the last I'm going to say on this; the concept is starting to tick me off in how it's gotten people to think it's okay to favor one group over another.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline dwilson1282

• Conversationalist
  • Bo-effin-yah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 19, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if a character is of a certain ethnic background, perhaps the person portraying him/her should be as close as possible to that background. Its more true to the source material and the story.
But changing things up is fine by me. To use our own dresden related stuff, in the books, Morgan is a big scots-irish white guy. In the tv series, big black guy. A major diference like that, I don't really care about. Its an obvious change. Whitening out a character like Tien from Avatar is a bit strange to me. Thats all.
They got a chinese-american to play Bruce Lee in the biopic, didn't they? Hello?
Having said all that, one of my favorite movies is Tropic Thunder. Downy Jr.'s whole role is based on this nonsense.
http://risingdragonmma.net/index.htm

As you file to your escape pods
I'll distract the alien hordes
And as I stare death in the face
I know my sins will take me to hell...

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 19, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
I fundamentally disagree. There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. Hiring someone because of their grandpappy's origins is not only illegal but also wrong. Discrimination is discrimination when it has nothing to do with how well a person will or will not do a job.

That's the last I'm going to say on this; the concept is starting to tick me off in how it's gotten people to think it's okay to favor one group over another.

I feel like your selective hearing me, I am essentially agreeing with you.

True, your ethnic background has no bearing on how well you do a job.

However when the police put out an APB for a 5 foot hispanic male who just abducted a small child, I pray to god they don't snag some 7 foot white woman while the perp gets away because they didn't want to discriminate.

Fitting a description isn't discriminating.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:31:31 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 19, 2010, 07:51:11 PM »
I feel like your selective hearing me, I am essentially agreeing with you.

True, your ethnic background has no bearing on how well you do a job.

However when the police put out an APB for a 5 foot hispanic male who just abducted a small child, I pray to god they don't snag some 7 foot white woman while the perp gets away because they didn't want to discriminate.

Fitting a description isn't discriminating.
ROFL!!!!!11
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 19, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
Friendly reminder, guys - this thread is about casting suggestions for Dresden movies, not racial profiling.  :)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
good point. as for harry, i had an idea, john cussack

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 19, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
Friendly reminder, guys - this thread is about casting suggestions for Dresden movies, not racial profiling.  :)

Well you know casting lead to stereotyping which lead to racial profiling which lead to the Arizona Immigration Law which lead back to casting.  :P

It's truely a vicious cycle.

Besides that let me remind you that I am the least racist here.  ;)

So after thinking I have come up with the perfect cast.

Harry - Will Smith
Thomas - Tyrese Gibson
Morgan - Taye Diggs
Kincaid - Wesley Snipes
Michael - Forest Whitaker
Marcone - Denzel Washington
Ebenezar - Morgan Freeman
Nicodemus - Samuel L Jackson
Carlos - Don Cheadle
The Merlin - Danny Glover
Rashid - Laurence Fishburne
Injun Joe - Carl Weathers
Waldo Butters - Chris Rock
Don Ortega - Jamie Foxx
Hendricks - Michael Clarke Duncan
Sanya - Topher Grace

Susan - Sanaa Lathan
Murphy - Halle Berry
Lea - Tyra Banks
Mab - Angela Bassett
Charity - Vivica Fox
Luccio - Gabrielle Union
Lara - Zoe Saldana
Molly - Alicia Keys

Don't be racist, it's the perfect cast!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:32:52 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 19, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
hey hey hey, lets not discuss that. back to what i was saying, john cussack is like 6'4 abd he can do snark, isint overly pretty, and  would look good with a coat.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 19, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
hey hey hey, lets not discuss that. back to what i was saying, john cussack is like 6'4 abd he can do snark, isint overly pretty, and  would look good with a coat.

IMO John is too dry.

Plus he is a little pass the age Harry should be at the beginning.

Offline hatshep2

• Conversationalist
  • "No plan, just bigger guns." - Dylan Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 19, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »
Well you know casting lead to stereotyping which lead to racial profiling which lead to the Arizona Immigration Law which lead back to casting.  :P

It's truely a vicious cycle.

Besides that let me remind you that I am the least racist here.  ;)

Not talking to anyone in particular.  ;) Or even saying I agree or disagree with anyone's perspective. Just trying to find casting for our much loved, much hounded, and possibly
(click to show/hide)
wizard and his mottley crew of friends, allies, confidants, peers, cohorts, adversaries, and nemises.  :)
"I am impertinant." - Percy Jackson, Book I: The Lightning Thief

"Relax, it's a loaner...They were out of caucasian in your size." - Dylan Dog, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night

"Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world." - Rick O'Connell, The Mummy

Offline kennedy_c

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 19, 2010, 11:58:06 PM »
Since a few liked my wife & my pick for Harry (Lucas Bryant)

A few more. . .

Morgan - Viggo Mortensen
Nicodemus - Alfred Molina
Marcone - Eric Bana
Michael - Adam Baldwin
Butters - David Krumholtz
Ebeneezer - Wilford Brimley
Bob's voice - I actually liked Terrence Mann from the TV episodes

still need a Murph, though