Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126912 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4830 on: February 27, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
I already stated it's because I've never seen her in a role where she was subtly dangerous. I asked where she has been so, which is a fairly straightforward question. I'm not sure why this is being treated as though I'm attacking someone. Ms. Janssen has her talents, as I've already acknowledged, I just don't believe those talents include being alluring and menacing simultaneously, so I question her ability to play such a character. The rather emphatic "This HAS to be Famke Janssen!" just led me to ask why is all. Why does it have to be her? What's she done that's so special?

I think the problem is that what Mr.Ghostbuster saw in the James Bond movie and I saw in Star Trek: TNG fulfill that request for us. Not for you, obviously. That is why I said it is a matter of perception. We saw her in a way you don't. That is all. But you keep demanding more. That is which sounds like an attack to our opinions.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
I would love to see Milla Jovovich cast as someone.  I just can't decide who.  Any ideas?

~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: February 27, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
I would love to see Milla Jovovich cast as someone.  I just can't decide who.  Any ideas?

Mavra.  Totally.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: February 27, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna say that too.
The lesser Winter Queen is dangerously crazy and MJ would fit that role.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: February 27, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
But that is Maeve.
I only see her as one of Lara's sisters, but that is too small a role.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: February 27, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »
Oops, you're right.
There are a few too many M named females and it gets a bit confusing.
No, I don't see her as Mavra.  Mavra has to emit an aura of centuries old evil and hate - MJ wouldn't work for that.  Maeve yes.  See above.

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: February 27, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
I'd say Milla Jovavich would work better as Anna Valmont. The Church mouse from Death Masks. It's a small part, but it works better for the roles that Milla has been playing recently. Physical badassery versus seductive pettiness. I don't think Milla can pull off petty, cruel and seductive believeable (just my opinion, of course).
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: February 27, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
But you keep demanding more. That is which sounds like an attack to our opinions.
I don't think it's fair to say I "keep demanding more" when all I asked was what role she played that convinced Mr. Ghostbuster of this ability in her. I never actually saw an answer to that question from him. Griffyn gave some examples of her acting "off her rocker," and I discussed that. You mentioned TNG, which is not a role of hers I'm familiar with. At the time you made this mention, it seems like you were already defensive about it, as though my questioning of a woman's ability to play a certain role was a personal attack on anyone who liked her. It's not. It's not even an attack on Famke Janssen; I never said she was a terrible actress, just that I'd never seen a very specialized ability in her.
I'm not trying to start a fight or something here, I'm just having a discussion. My own casting choices have been questioned here as well, and I haven't taken it as a personal attack. For example, you just called one of my favorite actresses "vulgar," but I'm not going to take umbrage at that. I disagree, of course, and wonder what exactly you're basing it on, but that's just something for further discussion. I do apologize if such discussion offends you, but I don't think it should.
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Fuego de Alma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »
This thread moves pretty fast, doesn't it?

Of course, now I'm drifting back to Spencer Locke as Molly.  She's how I've always pictured her.

Punk Molly                              Apprentice Molly                      Mature Molly

I don't think she looks quite edgy enough as "punk Molly." Especially since Molly seems to be really losing it in the recent book. Can this girl do kind of edgy/crazy/desperate? (The image you posted earlier of Taylor Momsen looked very much edgy enough.)

Summer Glau looks amazing with white hair! Where did you find that?

I wouldn't see Christina Hendricks as Lea. For me, she lacks the class, is too vulgar.
"Vulgar"? But she's so lovely  :-\

What about Lara?

(edited because first photo posted came up broken)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:34:57 PM by Fuego de Alma »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say I "keep demanding more" when all I asked was what role she played that convinced Mr. Ghostbuster of this ability in her. I never actually saw an answer to that question from him. Griffyn gave some examples of her acting "off her rocker," and I discussed that. You mentioned TNG, which is not a role of hers I'm familiar with. At the time you made this mention, it seems like you were already defensive about it, as though my questioning of a woman's ability to play a certain role was a personal attack on anyone who liked her. It's not. It's not even an attack on Famke Janssen; I never said she was a terrible actress, just that I'd never seen a very specialized ability in her.
I'm not trying to start a fight or something here, I'm just having a discussion. My own casting choices have been questioned here as well, and I haven't taken it as a personal attack. For example, you just called one of my favorite actresses "vulgar," but I'm not going to take umbrage at that. I disagree, of course, and wonder what exactly you're basing it on, but that's just something for further discussion. I do apologize if such discussion offends you, but I don't think it should.

I was not deffensive about the actress. I felt you attacked the opinions of other posters just because you didn't share it. Let's go to the example. I despise Hendricks since her role in Firefly. I found her no classy, vulgar. So she would make a great Madeline or Trixie in my opinion as she has awesome looks. You, obviously, don't think the same, and you see her as a good representation of a glorious Fae. Excellent. Your opinion, my opinion. I am not demanding you anything, because it's your opinion. You don't need to justify what you like or what you find good or classy or sexy or whatever.
I would have liked the same with Famke.. Your opinion, the opinion of other. Case closed.
Missing you, Md 

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
Summer Glau looks amazing with white hair! Where did you find that?
I altered the color myself.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: February 27, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
Dem fine job sah, dem fine.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »
Neuroheart does amazing jobs with the actors/actresses looks. I have seen them several times.
Missing you, Md 

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »
Ta very much :)  I really enjoy tinkering in photoshop.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
Was I the only one watching Gwenyth Paltrow at the Oscars last night and thinking she could be a formidable Winter Fae?

Edit:  After due consideration, I think I'd rather have her as Elaine.  She just seems too cheerful to be Winter, and I wouldn't want a bit part in Summer. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:55:37 PM by Griffyn612 »