Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1126791 times)

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4815 on: February 26, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »
Oscars tonight watch for some stars
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »
I'm sure you could find something for CLooney's girlfriend. Perhaps Molly. She is really tall and blonde.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: February 27, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »
I think she's the definition of fae beauty.
I think we must have different definitions of Fae beauty. Not to say she isn't pretty, but beautiful beyond the pale? Not to my eye.
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: February 27, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
I think we must have different definitions of Fae beauty. Not to say she isn't pretty, but beautiful beyond the pale? Not to my eye.

I was originally thinking that it would be best to cast Europeans for all of the Fae characters, to give them a sense of foreign beauty.  Mostly eastern European, with accents that wouldn't sound so familiar.

Like my favorite for Leah, Klodi Monsoon.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:55 AM »
Liam Neeson is my die hard Michael after seeing Grey Today.
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: February 27, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »
I only have four roles in mind and I think these actors would fulfill them beautifully:

Michael: Ewan McGreggor, I know he's not quite the build but after seeing Angels and Demons, he would be my choice.
Kincaid: Bradley Cooper
Voice of Bob: Jason Lee
Leah: This HAS to be Famke Janssen!
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: February 27, 2012, 06:17:28 AM »
I was originally thinking that it would be best to cast Europeans for all of the Fae characters, to give them a sense of foreign beauty.  Mostly eastern European, with accents that wouldn't sound so familiar.

Like my favorite for Leah, Klodi Monsoon.
She is definitely gorgeous, but I still think she looks more like Deirdre than Leah. Plus there's zero assurance that she could really act the part of Leah.

Leah: This HAS to be Famke Janssen!
...Why?
Sorry, I've seen her name come up a few times here, always for the characters who are stunningly gorgeous and good at the sweetly venomous thing, and I just don't think she's all that special. Again, she's attractive, but not beyond the bounds of most women who are attractive for a living. She's an okay actress, but I've never seen her pull off the subtlety that would be required for Lara or Leah, who can be vicious while they smile and tenderly stroke one's hair, and absolutely convincing in their deceits. The list of drop-dead gorgeous women who have blown me away with their performances of deceptively sincere, dangerous characters is fairly short. Right at the top of the list, with red hair and perfect skin, is Christina Hendricks, who I've pictured in the role since the first description I read of Leah. (After her is Jamie Murray, who has black hair and pale skin, but looks fantastic in white. I'd kill to see her firing a gun in black lingerie, too.)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:25 AM »
She is definitely gorgeous, but I still think she looks more like Deirdre than Leah. Plus there's zero assurance that she could really act the part of Leah.

Yeah, her ability to act would be a problem for casting, but I'd still have her in for a casting call.

...Why?
Sorry, I've seen her name come up a few times here, always for the characters who are stunningly gorgeous and good at the sweetly venomous thing, and I just don't think she's all that special. Again, she's attractive, but not beyond the bounds of most women who are attractive for a living. She's an okay actress, but I've never seen her pull off the subtlety that would be required for Lara or Leah, who can be vicious while they smile and tenderly stroke one's hair, and absolutely convincing in their deceits. The list of drop-dead gorgeous women who have blown me away with their performances of deceptively sincere, dangerous characters is fairly short. Right at the top of the list, with red hair and perfect skin, is Christina Hendricks, who I've pictured in the role since the first description I read of Leah. (After her is Jamie Murray, who has black hair and pale skin, but looks fantastic in white. I'd kill to see her firing a gun in black lingerie, too.)

I've posted Famke for Leah before too.  It would have had to have been a younger Famke, but did you see how off her rocker she acted in Goldeneye and in X-Men United?  She went from sweet and caring to crazy real quick.  That's how I picture Leah most of the time.  That, and she has the looks. 

I've also seen Christina Hendricks for Leah, and I might agree with that, but not 100%.  Maybe Firefly Christina rather than Mad Men Christina.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:30 AM »
I didn't pick Famke Janssen for her physical attributes or because I think she is "stunning goregeous". Frankly, I have yet to see a single actress that that I was describe with the same sort of other-worldly beauty commonly attributed to the fae. I picked her because I think she could pull off the sweetly venomous character of the Leanansidhe. Especially after reading Leah's part in Changes. Leave the "stunning beauty of the immortal fae" to the makeup artists and computer animators.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: February 27, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
She went from sweet and caring to crazy real quick.  That's how I picture Leah most of the time.
Well, I guess I just disagree. I picture Leah as both. At the same time. The only time she's really had "mood swings" was when she was locked in Arctis Tor. All other times she comes off as acting very normal about being very... not normal. She actually doesn't act crazy, she acts cold. She is, most often, alluring in all respects, with nothing in her behavior really being a tip-off for how dangerous she is, but that danger is there all the same. Peril simmers in the air around her, but is easy to miss or ignore because she looks kind, beautiful, flawless, and even serene. Poisoned nectar that seduces mortals to their doom, without setting off any alarm bells in the unwary.

Maybe Firefly Christina rather than Mad Men Christina.
Well, yeah, of course. It was her performance on Firefly that was the basis of how I picture Leah behaving. I can't imagine that her skills have fled her in the years since then, though, especially since I know Mad Men has generated some level of acclaim (I haven't watched it.)

I picked her because I think she could pull off the sweetly venomous character of the Leanansidhe.
I love that you're using my words for the character and everything, but again I ask, "Why?" What indications has she ever given that she is able to pull off a character who is menacing and inviting at the same time? Because not many actors can do that, and I've certainly never seen Ms. Janssen do it. She does menacing well enough, but it's very clearly menacing in a "run the other direction" sort of way, rather than a "wow, I kind of want to kneel at her feet even though I should probably be running the other direction" sort of way. Harry basically feels that way around Leah, even though he absolutely knows better, so it must be some pretty powerful appeal. I'm just not convinced that Famke Janssen has that, based on what I've seen of her. Christina Hendricks, on the other hand, I would have some trouble with wanting to run away from, even when she's clearly out to cause some harm. She can make a character seem innocent and seductive when she's at her most dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:47:42 AM by NeuroHeart »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »
Neuroheart, I don't know how one can justify an appreciation. Mr. Ghostbuster sees Famke as the perfect Lea. You don't. I don't see much more to discuss. In case you are interested, I can totally see Famke as the kind of woman you described. I still remember her in ST:TNG and I think I was in risk of becoming a lesbian (well, perhaps not so. But she was perfect. Instead, I wouldn't see Christina Hendricks as Lea. For me, she lacks the class, is too vulgar. I could see her as Madeline or Trixie Vixen, though.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »
Neuroheart, I don't know how one can justify an appreciation. Mr. Ghostbuster sees Famke as the perfect Lea. You don't. I don't see much more to discuss. In case you are interested, I can totally see Famke as the kind of woman you described. I still remember her in ST:TNG and I think I was in risk of becoming a lesbian (well, perhaps not so. But she was perfect. Instead, I wouldn't see Christina Hendricks as Lea. For me, she lacks the class, is too vulgar. I could see her as Madeline or Trixie Vixen, though.
Thank you for that.

Neuroheart, I'm not sure why you had such issue with my pick of Famke Janssen. I'm not saying that, were I in charge of The Dresden Files movies, I'd give her the role of Leanansidhe without a second thought. In fact, she would have to audition for it with Christina Hendricks (assuming both of them were interested), who I think would be another excellent choice.

And I find it interesting that you had absolutely nothing to say about my other choices.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
I see the girl from the new hunger games as a possible molly
Sir  Reginald.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Frankly whoever one might pick for one or any of the Fae Queens - I suspect to do them right they
would have to be CGI enhanced and in that case I wouldn't mind.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I'm not sure why you had such issue with my pick of Famke Janssen.
I already stated it's because I've never seen her in a role where she was subtly dangerous. I asked where she has been so, which is a fairly straightforward question. I'm not sure why this is being treated as though I'm attacking someone. Ms. Janssen has her talents, as I've already acknowledged, I just don't believe those talents include being alluring and menacing simultaneously, so I question her ability to play such a character. The rather emphatic "This HAS to be Famke Janssen!" just led me to ask why is all. Why does it have to be her? What's she done that's so special?

And I find it interesting that you had absolutely nothing to say about my other choices.
Oh? I'm not sure what's interesting about that, but if you want an opinion:
I don't think Ewan McGregor would be the best choice for Michael. He might be able to do much of the character with no problem, but I've always thought the most important thing for Michael is being righteous without being annoying. Under most circumstances, Harry would find an abundance of righteousness to be very grating, and even finds it a little grating with Michael, but they're still good friends. I haven't seen the film you mentioned, so there could be a dimension there I haven't seen, but I've mostly seen Mr. McGregor be either silly or pompous, and a pompous Michael would be a Michael that Harry would find unbearable company. This is again a case where I think a very special sort of acting would be required, and my pick it Alan Tudyk because he can be very serious without being too heavy about it, he can be very likable, and he can also be kind of scary and dangerous with a weapon in his hand.
Bradley Cooper could potentially be Kincaid, I suppose. I know he's a fairly large man. My main issue is he has those big eyes that make him look rather sweet and gentle to me, but he has the build for it. My first choice in overall looks and ability to kick ass and take names is Chris Hemsworth.
Jason Lee as Bob? Maybe the less mature side of Bob, but it's hard to imagine him dropping a whole bunch of wisdom and good advice. The voice I generally imagine is Eddie Izzard, who can do serious acting as well as brilliant comedic timing.