Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83319 times)

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2010, 03:03:18 AM »
Ah, there you guys are. I posted the pic I took of y'all with my cellphone in the Pictures thread.

Snowbound just directed us to it, thank you!
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2010, 03:04:32 AM »

The 1pm Saturday line, right? That was just for Jim. Each author had a separate line and each line went to a separate table.

Yes.  We were back WAY past the cutoff point.  I would've loved to have seen the exchange when telling Jim Butcher that his line had literally hundreds and hundreds of people on it.  "....what?"  *looks at line*  "....well... can I have another Sharpie?"
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2010, 05:59:39 AM »
No video from me, but I posted info in two threads in the spoiler section. 

Yeah, I asked how Niko and Tessa ended up getting married, did Niko have an alternate form other than his shadow, and later asked for the Bob impression.

Drat!  I was the one taking pictures of the people asking questions for the lady holding the microphone! 

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2010, 06:22:02 AM »
it was absolutely fabulous meeting all of you that I got a chance to meet! What a great group. For those of you I didn't have nearly enough time to talk to (sorry I didn't see you again, Yeratel!) there is always next uear! Maybe I'll have made up for lost sleep by then. (Can you believe they stopped the dance at 6 am this morning? Sheesh. That's barely a party. ;) )

I'll be looking for volunteers to take over my job as Aine's pack mule.  :)

Offline Technobuilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:21 AM »
Man, I don't know why I didn't think of it at the time, but I was there for every event they scheduled Jim and didn't think once to ask who might be from the forums... I recognize most of you now from the descriptions you gave though.

I got to see all the panels and the Beyond Binaries Panel was probably the most interesting topical discussion I saw this year.

I kinda felt bad for the Supernatural CSI panel authors at first due to the room being moved due to what happened with the autograph line, but thankfully (despite having to eat the microphones) everyone was very respectful. Gratefully, I was introduced to a couple of new authors I'm wanting to try. Especially the one on the end next to Jim who had the magic based on electricity and power increasing with madness. (I believe she used to be an Editor and was in fact the woman who green-lighted Storm Front way back when too. They seemed to know each other pretty well.

And whoever was Dressed as "Black Widow"... That was a great costume.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:54:09 AM by Technobuilder »

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2010, 07:06:53 AM »
And whoever was Dressed as "Black Widow"... That was a great costume.

That would have been Aine.  I was the brunette with her who kept holding her stuff b/c she didn't have pockets.  :D

Offline Magis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
The Beyond Binaries panel actually didn't have a line. Plenty of empty seats (likely due to the hour at which it was). I did miss the supernatural CSI one, so I hope SOMEONE got a tape/transcript of it.

Re: the interview. I keep intending to ask Jim What the Jade Court feed off of (and if we'll see them in the future), but by the time I remembered it was too late to get in line to ask.

I also keep hoping to ask if he's going to get back to his writer's workshop on the livejournal.

For Priscilla- There was a disappointing lack of Molly at the con. Wheredju go?

--- Magis

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »
I kinda felt bad for the Supernatural CSI panel authors at first due to the room being moved due to what happened with the autograph line, but thankfully (despite having to eat the microphones) everyone was very respectful. Gratefully, I was introduced to a couple of new authors I'm wanting to try. Especially the one on the end next to Jim who had the magic based on electricity and power increasing with madness. (I believe she used to be an Editor and was in fact the woman who green-lighted Storm Front way back when too. They seemed to know each other pretty well.

I think that author was Laura Ann Gilman? Retrievers novels...? They did sound very interesting, and she was very witty. I've been eyeing those books every once in a while, but will definitely try them now.

Granted, the room was full of Dresden fans...but the other authors got a lot more exposure to potential new fans due to Jim being there. I did feel bad for the author on the far left - "I have to go first?!?"  :D I think she was terrified.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline llwaynest

• Conversationalist
  • Major General Toot Toot Minimus
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2010, 12:55:16 PM »
Sadly, I missed every signing and panel. I had to leave Sat. night due to a family emergency. However, I did get to meet Jim and Shannon before the 1 p.m. signing in the lobby of the Marriott. I was walking by in my Pizza 'Spress costume (complete with Toot Toot standing on the pizza box). Shannon stopped me for a picture and took me back to show Jim, who was trying to be all incognito and stuff. I didn't ask him for and autograph then because I thought I would get it in an hour at the signing session. That didn't work out, but it was cool to meet him and talk to him. I totally had a severe case of cranial flatulence and forgot to ask for a picture with him in my costume. I'll post pics when I get back home in a couple of days.
"I would rather be drunk than eaten"
Master Ferus

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
it was absolutely fabulous meeting all of you that I got a chance to meet! What a great group. For those of you I didn't have nearly enough time to talk to (sorry I didn't see you again, Yeratel!) there is always next uear! Maybe I'll have made up for lost sleep by then. (Can you believe they stopped the dance at 6 am this morning? Sheesh. That's barely a party. ;) )

This was my first time at Dragon*Con, but I expect I'll come again, it was a great weekend. I'm sorry I didn't run into you again, too, but I just wanted to tell you, that leather catsuit you have looks even better in person than in the picture you posted.   8)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
Could someone post the link to the pics?  :)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline AtlantaP.I.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2010, 03:58:14 PM »
I wish I had the opportunity to meet Jim at Dragon Con over the weekend, unfortunately I didn't get that chance.  I had wanted to get a Dresden Novel signed along with a Codex Novel.  Believe it or not I am actually a private investigator that was working Dragon Con.  Jim's autograph session happen to fall into the time frame where I wasn't following one of Dragon Con's guest.  But as most people know not many people actually got in to meet and get an autograph from Jim.  They told us to try his panels and that he would try to cut them short for autographs.  Lucky me though, my stalking skills were being used during Jim's panels.  I was just really bummed because he was the only part of Dragon Con that I truly wanted to do, and it happen to fit into the work schedule and still couldn't get it.  Oh well...Hopefully he will come back to Atlanta soon or somewhere close enough for me to drive to. 

Always pay attention to your environment!!!

AtlantaP.I.

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
*groan*

Okay, I really should be getting dressed and going out to do my grocery shopping so that I have like... food and stuff for the rest of the week, but I'm still TIRED!

Damn you, Aine!  What's the bright idea taking the anti-social hick dancing till all hours of the morning?!?!

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
I wish I had the opportunity to meet Jim at Dragon Con over the weekend, unfortunately I didn't get that chance.  I had wanted to get a Dresden Novel signed along with a Codex Novel.  Believe it or not I am actually a private investigator that was working Dragon Con.  Jim's autograph session happen to fall into the time frame where I wasn't following one of Dragon Con's guest.  But as most people know not many people actually got in to meet and get an autograph from Jim.  They told us to try his panels and that he would try to cut them short for autographs.  Lucky me though, my stalking skills were being used during Jim's panels.  I was just really bummed because he was the only part of Dragon Con that I truly wanted to do, and it happen to fit into the work schedule and still couldn't get it.  Oh well...Hopefully he will come back to Atlanta soon or somewhere close enough for me to drive to. 

Always pay attention to your environment!!!

AtlantaP.I.

Wait... am I reading this correctly?  You had to go to DC and work... like... real work?  Do you at least get to have someone else pick up the cost of the con badge?

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
This was my first time at Dragon*Con, but I expect I'll come again, it was a great weekend. I'm sorry I didn't run into you again, too, but I just wanted to tell you, that leather catsuit you have looks even better in person than in the picture you posted.   8)

awww...shucks.  *blush*

And here you go, Stiletto:

Sorry for the quality, they are cell phone pics.  I can't believe I forgot a real camera.  But then I must have had, I don't know? 300 people take my picture. I hope someone tags it somewhere so I can have a good one from the Con.