Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83985 times)

Offline Magis

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone I met both in the insane signing line and other places. Was truly awesome to see the murph/harry combo (though I cannot remember your names) outside the hotel on the way back from lunch.

A BIG thanks to Fred for being such an awesome guy and just chattin' at the signing and on the way to the various panels etc. Look forward to future opportunities to see you guys in the future.

Next goal: actually get a chance to have a conversation w/ Mr. Popular-Butcher. All his lines were absolutely nuts, so out of respect for the other fans it was pretty rough to actually just "chill" and talk.

Most interesting moment: Beyond Binaries 101 panel. Jim as the only male on the panel, and by far the most interesting participant, though I suppose it felt like he wasn't sure why exactly he was picked for it ;-)

--- Magis

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »
I TOTALLY SAW YOU! :-)

Oh, dear lord, more witnesses.  I swear, half the con directors showed up to stare at me too.

They do try to do their best.  The Fire Marshall was coming down hard on the con this year.  Even riding the elevators kicking people off.  It was nuts.  There was also a fire on one of the upper floors of the Hilton today.

Luckily, since so many turned out, next time Jim turns up they will try to accommodate more fans.  Also, realize they have to accommodate a bunch of authors in just a few days time.  Plus schedule hundreds of separate events around each other.

OHHH, the charity quilt, which Jim and Shannon signed, went for 1500 bucks.  Almost passed out again.  The charity aucation was in the room right next to Jim's panel.  Walked the line and let people know we did have some signed books up for auction.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
UPDATE:  Jim will also be signing at the Buzzy Multimedia booth Saturday at 3pm.
I wish I'd known that ahead of time. The line to Jim's autograph session, and the NT Times Authors Panel were both insanely long. Then again, lines for lots of things were insanely long.  :)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »
I wish I'd known that ahead of time. The line to Jim's autograph session, and the NT Times Authors Panel were both insanely long. Then again, lines for lots of things were insanely long.  :)

The Buzzy signing was canceled. If I had to wager, I'd guess they underestimated the number of fans Jim would bring. I got in line for the 1pm signing at 11:30am and was still like 100 people back, but I did get in and meet Jim. From what someone said, the line for his signing actually went all the way outside the building.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2010, 01:36:38 AM »
I just got back from the Con I was going to tweet and post during the con, but we has crap reception in the the hotel and con floor., We were in the Autograph singing and Jim's Panel. I got to meet Jim and Fred briefly at the signing and got to have a longer chat with Shannon and Jim's editor Anne. The panel was awesome, and we got to meet several other fans from the boards, including the group of people dressed as the Za Lord's Guard.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2010, 01:38:27 AM »

The Buzzy signing was canceled. If I had to wager, I'd guess they underestimated the number of fans Jim would bring. I got in line for the 1pm signing at 11:30am and was still like 100 people back, but I did get in and meet Jim. From what someone said, the line for his signing actually went all the way outside the building.

It did, and around the corner. Most of the people in line for the one-hour autograph session were just there for Jim Butcher, and not the other authors there with him. I hope next time they give him a session to himself, or schedule more than one.  There were a lot of folks that didn't get their books signed at this Con.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2010, 01:44:51 AM »
I wish I'd known that ahead of time. The line to Jim's autograph session, and the NT Times Authors Panel were both insanely long. Then again, lines for lots of things were insanely long.  :)

I couldn't believe there were lines out the door and around the corner for an "I Dream of Jeannie" event!

Were the lines long for the Binaries 101 panel? I saw he was scheduled for it, but I was too darn tired. Plus it's frustrating to be able to ask Jim questions, but not about the Dresden Files.  :)

But I'm really happy cuz I got my book signed and got to ask questions about Nicodemus.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:46:25 AM by Stiletto »
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2010, 01:50:55 AM »

But I'm really happy cuz I got my book signed and got to ask questions about Nicodemus.
That was you? I was right next to the line in the panel. I would love to read the story of Nicodemus Jim described.

I am very happy I got my books signed too, but I was in line for the signing 90 minutes early. It.s a good thing I was.
 As a Bonus, I got my copy of Backup signed by both Jim and Mike Mignola.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2010, 01:54:28 AM »
Im curious, anyone who was there and can remember the questions and answer for us not visiting the Con due to living in other countries for example.

EDIT  To Add: And did noone take pictures? ;p

I did, but we just got home!  We'll post them tomorrow after MUCH SLEEP!  :)
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2010, 01:56:15 AM »
That was you? I was right next to the line in the panel. I would love to read the story of Nicodemus Jim described.

what did he say. tell me!

any videos?

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
Thanks to everyone I met both in the insane signing line and other places. Was truly awesome to see the murph/harry combo (though I cannot remember your names) outside the hotel on the way back from lunch.

A BIG thanks to Fred for being such an awesome guy and just chattin' at the signing and on the way to the various panels etc. Look forward to future opportunities to see you guys in the future.

Next goal: actually get a chance to have a conversation w/ Mr. Popular-Butcher. All his lines were absolutely nuts, so out of respect for the other fans it was pretty rough to actually just "chill" and talk.

Most interesting moment: Beyond Binaries 101 panel. Jim as the only male on the panel, and by far the most interesting participant, though I suppose it felt like he wasn't sure why exactly he was picked for it ;-)

--- Magis

We can barely remember our names right now, either ;)  It was great to see you too!  I may have to hang up my Murphy hat, though.  I'm the same height as Mr. Butcher.  O_O;

Agreed!  Thank you to Fred for a well-wrangled con - I'm guessing more than twice as many of us Butcher fans showed up than were expected?  =D  And yes, we missed the signing line cutoff, too - but we got supremely lucky and bumped into him in a hallway!

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2010, 02:04:38 AM »

any videos?

:'(  We videotaped the ENTIRE "Supernatural CSI" panel, which ROCKED (and gave us three more authors we need to buy and read - one of which we already knew about), but my husband's phone battery died five minutes before the panel was over, AND ERASED THE ENTIRE VIDEO!!! 

One of the folks in the audience asked of all the authors, "What do you do to when it seems like your characters have too much magical power, in order to limit them or take away some of their powers?"

Mr. Butcher, in answer, smacked a hand over his mouth to keep himself quiet, and the audience cracked up.

Someone near us was also videotaping, so hopefully HIS video survived and we will see it on YouTube or something...

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2010, 02:09:09 AM »

any videos?

No video from me, but I posted info in two threads in the spoiler section. 

Yeah, I asked how Niko and Tessa ended up getting married, did Niko have an alternate form other than his shadow, and later asked for the Bob impression.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
I did, but we just got home!  We'll post them tomorrow after MUCH SLEEP!  :)
Ah, there you guys are. I posted the pic I took of y'all with my cellphone in the Pictures thread.

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2010, 02:41:52 AM »
It did, and around the corner. Most of the people in line for the one-hour autograph session were just there for Jim Butcher, and not the other authors there with him. I hope next time they give him a session to himself, or schedule more than one.  There were a lot of folks that didn't get their books signed at this Con.

The 1pm Saturday line, right? That was just for Jim. Each author had a separate line and each line went to a separate table.