Linked Events

• Jim at Fayette Library: March 04, 2010

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon in Fayette, MO, March 4, 2010  (Read 20240 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Jim and Shannon in Fayette, MO, March 4, 2010
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
Gas for an 8 hour road trip: $130.
Food: $40
Book for signing: $30.

The look on Jim's face when he realizes your entire family drove 8 hours to meet him for 37 seconds.  Priceless.

I'm sure that you'll have a long time of Q&A and your time with Jim and Shannon will be much longer than 37 seconds!  You'll have fun!  I'll see you there.  (Assuming no ugly blizzards scare me away...  Dang that Mab!)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline jsp555

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 12:02:06 AM »
Uh.  Didn't the Catholics go nuts when a boy wizard was ruling the literary world? 

And Jim gets to hang out in a church and talk about his fantastical world filled with numerous creatures and concepts antithetical to the Christian faith?  I just love things like this.  Brilliant.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
wrong impression jsp...  at Denver's Mile Hi Con I dropped down for the AM communion service and the sermon was based on Molly and the Beads about faith.  ;-)

Seriously though guys from the area...  The new Americinn and the local B & B don't allow a pet, even in a carrier.  :-(  Any other hotels in the town?  I really don't want to head 10 miles south when I'll be leaving the next morning heading north?

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:04:49 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 04:58:20 AM »
wrong impression jsp...  at Denver's Mile Hi Con I dropped down for the AM communion service and the sermon was based on Molly and the Beads about faith.  ;-)

Seriously though guys from the area...  The new Americinn and the local B & B don't allow a pet, even in a carrier.  :-(  Any other hotels in the town?  I really don't want to head 10 miles south when I'll be leaving the next morning heading north?

Suggestions?

...I would pay money to hear that sermon.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:24 AM »

Suggestions?
This is the best I can do, I hope it helps!
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/guides/us/usstateMO.shtml

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
Best Westerns are pet friendly.

Offline yeLLow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:25 AM »
We're staying at the Super 8 in Moberly, but you really don't want to stay there. Its nasty but pet friendly; fair warning. I know its a ways from Fayette (about 40 miles), but we're visiting family.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 04:08:33 AM »
I wanted to head north if I was out of Fayette, but it looks like Boonville.  Both the B&B in Fayette and the Americinn suggested I'd find something there.   I didn't realize that Iowa was that pet friendly, but I've never had a problem anywhere before.  I hate leaving him in a crate in the hotel room 10 miles away.... 

Offline yeLLow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
I understand. Its no fun leaving them in a crate while you're away. If it wasn't so cold I would suggest you keep him in your car. But that's more of a punishment.

Offline Milks

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:11 AM »
I understand. Its no fun leaving them in a crate while you're away. If it wasn't so cold I would suggest you keep him in your car. But that's more of a punishment.
My wife and I are staying in Springfield tonight and making the rest of the drive up tomorrow morning.   I'm actually pretty excited about this.  It's the first author talk I've ever been too.

Offline yeLLow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 05:27:55 AM »
My wife and I are staying in Springfield tonight and making the rest of the drive up tomorrow morning.   I'm actually pretty excited about this.  It's the first author talk I've ever been too.

Me too! Only a few more hours to go! (well, over 12, but oh well.)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
Who all went?  What did Jim talk about?  Did Shannon's hair look awesome?  The world needs to know!

Offline yeLLow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »
Who all went?  What did Jim talk about?  Did Shannon's hair look awesome?  The world needs to know!

My husband and I went with our son.
Jim talked about a wide range of things from writing to that something will finally happen with the two swords.
It was a good q&a.
And yes, Shannon's hair looked awesome!
(please excuse the lack of details, we drove back right afterwards and got home about 5 hours ago (4am CST).

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »
I met Milks southern Arkansas (9 hours) with his wife Samantha, who was a sweetheart.  He promised photos, but that will probably after he gets home as well.  Someone was also there from Tennessee, I was there representing IA  It was fun, even though I missed the notice about the dinner with Jim and Shannon.  This very small college town pulled out all the stops and Jim seemed to really enjoy himself.  They had a sign with Jim's name in lights out front--Xmas lights but it was cute. Parking was problem, which was a great sign of how full it was going to be as I came in.

I think the locals were a little overwhelmed that so many people would come so far and were thrilled with the full turnout.  About a third of the people were from the Friends of the Library and the rest were apparently local fans. The questions were from fans with knowledge.  Jim's stories that stemmed from questions were fun and the locals really got into it!  Even the wonderful woman next to me who hadn't read them yet.  She took a lot of photos as well.  I might call the library down there and ask if she'll post hers as well.

A warrant for Jim's arrest had been sent last year to entice him to come.  Apparently fans from Fayette attending two MO signings last year did a good job convincing Jim, or maybe Shannon to make the trip.  The gentleman who introduced Jim, but didn't give his own name I think mentioned it.  Half way through the Q&A the local police showed up in uniform.  He had a copy of the warrant with a large VOID over the top of it framed to give to Jim.  Our favorite author had a riot with it and I know Milks got that photo for sure.  Later the key to the city was given to Jim for Bob.  I didn't catch the story behind that I'm afraid.

And like all Friends of the Library annual meeting it concluded with tons of home made cookies and ice cream punch.

Finally, Jim donated the Changes book that he read the first two chapters from to the library.  I offered a $100 to be allowed to check it out 'overnight' but the MC for the evening wasn't letting it out of his hands. 

I'll try to find some time to write some more about the Q&A later and I know that the others will be posting their thoughts as well.  Can't wait to see Milks' photos!

Oh and Jim dropped a hint..  1867.  Being in insurance I wonder if it has anything to do with the St Louis earthquake where the rivers ran backwards?  The largest earthquake ever known in the US. 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:01:50 AM by meg_evonne »

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 12:33:49 AM »
First 2 chapters?! Sonofa..... >< >< >< >< >< I knew I shoulda took off work and gone dagnabbit. >< Argh!
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++