Author Topic: Holy cow Batman, an agent wants 30 pages.... eeck!  (Read 8040 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Holy cow Batman, an agent wants 30 pages.... eeck!
« on: May 01, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »
play it cool.  play James Dean.  play some Enya music.  Re-read them one more time, call my editor to cry on her shoulders, and click the button.  EEECKKK!!!!

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Holy cow Batman, an agent wants 30 pages.... eeck!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:23:48 AM »
Calm down.... Have some dip.....

;D

How can we help you today? BTW, how do you get in touch with an agent anyway? Are they expensive?
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:22:12 AM »
Hey congrats! Play it cool. Remember, you're a professional:)
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 05:42:00 AM »
MEG!!!!! How freaking awesome!

*Sends virtual flowers*

Just take a deep breath. You're good, darlin' Better than half the writer's who are already published. You can do this!  ;) :-*
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »
Wish Bob was here to hear the news.  *sigh*   Yes, I sent them off, with a very cool and simple 'thank you'   It probably won't go anywhere, but hey--that was my goal for the year, just to get someone to ask for them.  It might even be a pity act by a kind agent!  Still, I can check that off my to do list.

And thank you all.  I did get a fortune cookie that said I had a book in my future.  I thought karma meant my Turn Coat shipment.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
:: Offers you congratulatory goodies of your choice::

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:00:07 AM »
YAY!  *Does happy dance around Meg Evonne*  I am so proud of you.  And Bob knows.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:54:40 AM »
Wish Bob was here to hear the news.  *sigh*   Yes, I sent them off, with a very cool and simple 'thank you'   It probably won't go anywhere, but hey--that was my goal for the year, just to get someone to ask for them.  It might even be a pity act by a kind agent!  Still, I can check that off my to do list.

Just keep reminding yourself that you're one up on more than a few folk on this board, and in the rest of the world. That an agent has requested thirty pages from you is definitely worth at least one extra dessert of your choice.

Although I might suggest promising yourself two servings of said dessert if you finish writing the book before the agent calls for it. :D

And thank you all.  I did get a fortune cookie that said I had a book in my future.  I thought karma meant my Turn Coat shipment.

Ah, the flexible language of prophecy.
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
play it cool.  play James Dean.  play some Enya music.  Re-read them one more time, call my editor to cry on her shoulders, and click the button.  EEECKKK!!!!

Oh, well done. My congratulations, and wishing you luck for it going further.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LavinChen

• Needs A Life
  • FABRICATE DIEM, PVNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
That's great, Meg! Congratulations!

Lindt truffles are always a great way to celebrate:

Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. -Terry Pratchett

I love finger sandwiches. The distal phalanges have such a nice, delicate crunch.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
Although I might suggest promising yourself two servings of said dessert if you finish writing the book before the agent calls for it. :D

In that case, I'll take two pieces from the chocolate pack above.  It's ready to go, but there is always more to polish.  The first quarter is finished and past editor, re-written and returned and back to me once more.  The 2nd quarter will be back to me by tonight.  Remember that I wrote this in an internet class and the instructor is an editor from a publishing house--so it has been roughly edited already.   (The trick is not to go back and tweak the edited, re-edited, and final approved pages...  Who knew that was going to be the hardest part of the whole thing?  No one mentioned that to me.. :-) Itchy fingers--bad news.)

Also agent's time line is up to two months before they get back to me.  Even if they take half that time--the last and final editing will back.  They know that I am multi-submitting so I'm still sending out queries.  The internet is an amazing tool!

I've four queries running at all times.  It's like playing cards, if you lay one down, you draw another one after tweaking the query yet again. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:21:34 PM by meg_evonne »

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »
Also agent's time line is up to two months before they get back to me.

Gosh, that's moving fast.  (I have had things out for years; still do, in fact.)

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
That's great, Meg! Congratulations!

Lindt truffles are always a great way to celebrate:

"...nothing in his pockets but knives and Lindt."

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 03:47:56 AM »
Well, I think I might have figured out a good query letter.  I've had another agent ask me to e-mail the entire manuscript to them AND also send a hard copy manuscript.  Sent the e-copy within an hour of the request and printed and mailed off the hard copy before 5 the same day.  Crossing fingers.

My work with my editor continues to be a great relationship.  I'm so lucky to have her assistance!

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »
Congratulations.

So what tips can you give us writing query letters  ;D

-paul