Author Topic: Holy cow Batman, an agent wants 30 pages.... eeck!  (Read 7974 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Holy cow Batman, an agent wants 30 pages.... eeck!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:50:30 AM »
truthfully?  I think the answer was grounded in my first steps writing it.  The online instructor  is an editor at an imprint of Harper and Bray and before we started, she asked that we post ideas.  I posted seven and she liked this one.  "DaVinci Code style young adult with magic.  Brother (11) and sister (15) arrive in Rome to find their parents missing and people are dying in ritual killings at famous sites in ancient Rome.  Tenacious Eve must find and solve the clues and gain control of her new powers to reunite their family against a ticking clock.  Oh and add in a 17-yr-old boy, whose father is also missing that joins the hunt."

I'll never write another book without first writing a catchy commercial premise that is interesting, different, and timely. 

And no, neither of us had any idea that Angels and Demons was being made into a movie until half way through the class.  I figured it doomed the book, but I persevered anyway.  I use only two locations from Dan Brown's book, but how do you avoid St Peter's and Castl Sant d'Angelo--the others are all different and the final confrontation takes place at the Pantheon, which includes the Pieta, the goddesses Minerva and Isis, St Michael, martyrs, and a Narnia style battle between 4000 skeleton army raised from the Church of the Bones and reanimated lions, tigers, bears, gladiators from the Coliseum.  Oh--and the open roof of the Pantheon is a gate to heaven and in Michelangelo's mystically completed sphere of the Pantheon in the mirror image is a gate of hell that will be opened unless Eve figures out the last piece of the puzzle.

All the sites make a pentagram (really!) and the Pantheon is in the exact center, all with obelisk's from Isis' temple.  Definitely needs a map to go with the book.  All have ties via art and history to Michelangelo...  Yeah--tossed in everything but the kitchen sink and frankly the rituals are really gruesome.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:55:12 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:03 AM »
Couple things with the Pantheon.  It does have a little part in Angels and Demons.  And with the confrontation, is that, with all the creatures and everything, supposed to happen inside the Pantheon, or no?  Cause it's sorta like the Sistine Chapel.  Seems like it should be pretty big, but it's actually pretty small.  Plus it has been turned into a church, complete with Crucifixion painting and a Pieta, or something similar.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »
good question.  I love the  Pantheon.  When I first walked into it, a choir was singing in the center--totally epic impressive! Each apse lines up with the ancient Roman sights that make up the pentagram, plus two more.  The walls become opaque and only the pentagram buildings and obelisks are visible--the rest fade.  Eve can't escape through the walls, but can see through them.  The romantic interest brings the Colliseum army, while the evil lady brings the skeleton army--so it is visible to Eve as they battle it out. 

I found a wonderful tour guide book that had the impressions of visitors to the different locations.  Apparently if it ever snows in Rome, you have to run to the Pantheon to see the Pillar of Falling Snow.  I've seen it rain through the occulus, but never snow.  Perhaps one day, if I am very, very lucky.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »
good question.  I love the  Pantheon.  When I first walked into it, a choir was singing in the center--totally epic impressive! Each apse lines up with the ancient Roman sights that make up the pentagram, plus two more.  The walls become opaque and only the pentagram buildings and obelisks are visible--the rest fade.  Eve can't escape through the walls, but can see through them.  The romantic interest brings the Colliseum army, while the evil lady brings the skeleton army--so it is visible to Eve as they battle it out. 

I found a wonderful tour guide book that had the impressions of visitors to the different locations.  Apparently if it ever snows in Rome, you have to run to the Pantheon to see the Pillar of Falling Snow.  I've seen it rain through the occulus, but never snow.  Perhaps one day, if I am very, very lucky.

Seeing it snow there would be cool.  When I went, it was the beginning of June, so bright, sunny, and very humid.  One of my favorite photos is of the fountain outside.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
Couple things with the Pantheon.  It does have a little part in Angels and Demons.  And with the confrontation, is that, with all the creatures and everything, supposed to happen inside the Pantheon, or no?  Cause it's sorta like the Sistine Chapel.  Seems like it should be pretty big, but it's actually pretty small.  Plus it has been turned into a church, complete with Crucifixion painting and a Pieta, or something similar.

Has been turned into a church? *is confused* I thought "Pantheon" was a gathering place for the gods originally anyway.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 05:18:11 PM »
Has been turned into a church? *is confused* I thought "Pantheon" was a gathering place for the gods originally anyway.

Heh.  What I meant was that it had been turned into a Catholic/Christian church, when it had originally been used as a polytheistic temple for the Romans.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
Agree with Starbeam.  It has a layered past.  When the Popes came in they removed all the bronze that covered it and the white marble to use at St Peter's.  It was built, I think in the 300'sAD, by Hadrian.  One of the speculation, probably true is that it was a group temple, but evidence that it was also a public meeting area with government functions.  Eventually, some Pope renamed it Sant Maria Rotunde (for the shape obviously) but the term Pantheon regained acceptance during WWII.

None of my recent research shows that it is currently being used as a church, but concerts are common in it or in the Pantheon Piazza, where the fountain/obelisk are located.  It's billed on line sites as a sort of the hip place to be as the sun sets.  

Raphael is buried there and someone usually has left a single red rose on his memorial.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
I love history!  ;D

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 02:41:26 AM »
How can we help you today? BTW, how do you get in touch with an agent anyway? Are they expensive?

Important piece of advice I've been given by a couple of published authors - an author only signs checks on the back.  If an agent or publisher asks for money, walk away.  Quickly.  They get a percentage of the profits, not a fee up-front.
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 03:52:45 AM »
Realized that I hadn't updated you all.  The excitement has continued.  Another agent requested the entire manuscript in e-form and that I send it off in paper copy as well. The e-manuscript went off within a hour of receiving her request. I had it in four attachments and I had to combine and assure myself that the chapter headings were formatted properly etc.  That agent requests a 5 to 6 week exclusive access and I am going to honor that--no matter what.  This agent is one who has had over 24 deals in the last year or so and has worked with all the major houses that I feel would be a good mix with the work.  Further her web site is requesting YA with puzzle and solve the clue type books...  Two lines below that she was requesting sci fi/fantasy--I'm at least in her 'need' pile! 

I'd love to send her my rough 8000 on the sequel that is already a really fun ride, but decided that probably would look a bit too... uhm  pushy?

I've sent in six queries, running four at a time, replacing a name as the notices came back.  I've only gotten two rejections, which leaves me flustered.  One now has the entire manuscript and three others that I am still waiting for a reply.  Last time I queried with them, the rejections came through within a week or two.  So I continue to wait.  One of them is Jennifer Jackson--so that is a long shot.  I've one more ace in the hole agent that I think could be a good mix.  I received a very positive rejection with interest on my last urban fantasy (first I've ever shopped) and he wanted to see the YA that I mentioned while I was still only half way into the first rough draft.

I finished my research on the sequel and am now 8000 plus words into the first draft.  My editor is willing to continue to work with me on the 2nd book.  I've two workshops at the Univ of IA writer's festival this summer. 

I'm sure that I will take another mediabistro.com young adult class with Jill again this fall or winter, where I would be starting book III in the sequel.  There were several sci fi/fantasy writers in the last class.  It included a wonderful mix of already published authors as well from other genres--so there was a lot of knowledge to draw on.

Last week, one of my fellow students posted on our writing website we created, that she had signed her book (from the same class that I was in--still in rough draft form) with an agent!  We are all feeling super charged. 

I've never had an agent ask for money, but the mediabistro.com classes have taught me to be a wise shopper.  I use publisher's marketplace regularly to research agents, editors, and houses so I'm not wasting their or my time.  It also is proving an invaluable source of seeing what is selling right now that won't publish for six months or much longer.  Students and teachers have been excellent sources of web site material, blogs etc. 

I'm still sure that this will all fizzle out, but for a writer that in 30 years never let a soul read anything I wrote....I've now people stopping me in town asking what I've heard.  It's nice, but odd.  I prefer it under my rock to be honest...

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 05:09:14 AM »
Meg! I am soooo happy for you!

How is your son doing?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 06:19:59 AM »
Son is doing well.  We await to see if he gets the call for the 2nd stem cell harvesting.  We all hope he does get the call, as we will know that the 55 year old man that received the bone marrow is still fighting...  If not, we have to assume that what they managed to harvest in the surgery was sufficient to do the job.  I don't think we will ever know.  My friend Don, who has received two such donations insists that we all have to go the annual donor/receiver party---no matter how it turns out. 

His summer internship is going well at the law firm and he is enjoying living in my daughter and son-in-laws spare bedroom.  My daughter seems to be enjoying it also.   Lindsay and he manage to be together at least two days a week. 

take care and thank you for asking...  Frogge wants to go horseback riding.  I'll make sure she knows my schedule next winter and maybe she can sneak away.  My Mom has room for her if she can make it, unless my other family members get away...

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 06:23:42 AM »
I'll make room for her here, too, if your mom can't! Not a problem!

Good to hear your Son is doing so well. Still praying for him and the Don-ee.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
Hey all, just an update from an excited author.  No, the dear sweet agent that requested the manuscript has declined with a lovely note and suggestions that I really appreciate.  So it's back to the editing board for a bit and then start requests again. 

I wanted to give you all a heads up, because you've been crossing your fingers for me!  I'll keep you posted. 

I know that I'm supposed to be down about it, but I'm thrilled.  Onward and Upwards as Buzz Lightyear says!   

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
Good luck Meg, I have another friend Kimrae, going through exactly the same thing too.
I'm hoping the best for both of you. ;D
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.